Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tony Gwynn Game Used Home Run Jersey dilemmna!

I have an issue that requires some input from the collecting community. Here is a Tony Gwynn Game Used hit jersey, which also happened to be a home run! I purchased this from CJ's Sportcards in San Diego back in 2002, who used to be the exclusive distributors of Tony's game used items at the time. Tony's wife, Alicia, used to embroider his hit jerseys with the info from the games. I bought this along with some GU pants from the same game, so this set me back a pretty penny (although pre-HOF prices).

As you can tell the autograph was signed in black marker, which has obviously faded quite a bit over time. I have never displayed this out in the open, so it's not necessarily sun/UV damage which has caused the auto to fade. I can only assume the auto will continue getting worse over time. From a purely autograph collecting perspective, the auto right now leaves much to be desired!

My dilemna is whether or not to try and wash it off and have Tony re-sign it with a better marker? I'll see him this coming Saturday at an appearance in SD, so I know I can get it re-signed. I'm about 90% confident I can wash off the auto completely with some TLC cleaning. But any other suggestions on how to do it from the collecting community will help. So, the dilemna is really whether to take the risk that it won't wash completely off.

A second question is that if I were to go forward with getting it re-signed, should I just have him sign his name or let him inscribe it with the HOF inscription, which he'll probably be inclined to do? Tony gets pretty excited at signings when he sees authentic game used items of his at signings.

Another concern is Tony's health. The past couple of times I have seen him over the past 2 weeks he hasn't looked really good. He's one of my favorite players of all-time, so I'm definitely praying we get many more years with him. But, nothing in life surprises me anymore. I've been considering this issue for a while now taking for granted that Tony will always be around. But, anything's possible, and I know I will have a chance to get this re-signed this Saturday. Any input would be appreciated!

Re: Tony Gwynn Game Used Home Run Jersey dilemmna!

I'm new to the hobby so I don't have any experience to base my opinion on, but IMO I would leave it. Or maybe have him inscribe the front in silver?

Auto doesn't look that bad in my opinion
    Ricardo Montoya

ri.montoya at yahoo dot com

Quote Originally Posted by spartakid View Post
    Auto doesn't look that bad in my opinion
    Agreed.

I agree with the above, I think it looks ok. Like the other member mentioned, get him to sign on the front if you really need another signature on it.

Side note: What makes you think Gwynn's not doing good? Just appearance? He's looked kind of rough for a few years now, with his weight and the cancer surgeries. Curious if he looks worse now...

Banned

Re: Tony Gwynn Game Used Home Run Jersey dilemma!

I like the idea of having him sign it on the front. Ask him to write "Game Used 1998" or something like that. Use a thick silver paint pen! Pull the jersey tight from both sides when he signs it (I learned that trick from Pete Rose many years ago).

Quote Originally Posted by emann View Post
    I agree with the above, I think it looks ok. Like the other member mentioned, get him to sign on the front if you really need another signature on it.

Side note: What makes you think Gwynn's not doing good? Just appearance? He's looked kind of rough for a few years now, with his weight and the cancer surgeries. Curious if he looks worse now...
    Ok, thanks for all the input. If it were any other jersey I would definitely try getting it re-signed. But, with the risk involved I guess I'll lean towards just leaving the jersey be considering it's historical significance (one of his 3,000 hits, plus Tony didn't hit many home runs in his career!). I'm not into getting the front of jerseys signed, so I won't do that either...

I wouldn't mess with it at all.
    Even if it fades out the jersey is still what really matters. Tony Gwynn autographs are pretty cheap.
    And he didn't sign it "game used" so it wouldn't matter to me.

Can you tell me where he is signing? I have a game used jersey and other items of his. I sort of like having the jersey and pants unsigned so I don't think I would bring those, but wouldn't mind getting a cap signed. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by esquiresports View Post
    Can you tell me where he is signing? I have a game used jersey and other items of his. I sort of like having the jersey and pants unsigned so I don't think I would bring those, but wouldn't mind getting a cap signed. Thanks!
    He's doing a signing at El Cajon Ford this coming Saturday...