Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Grey Flannel auctions

So I am registered at every auction house that sells game used items that I know of.
    I never registered for Grey Flannel because to be honest I didn't think it was worth the trouble with the references.
    I decided to register today and in the references I put my Ebay id and MLB auctions. I didn't put another one because I can't remember the last time I bid on anything from another site.
    I received a call from a very nice lady who stated that they would like my credit card info to proceed since my references were not enough.
    I kindly declined and told her I would let her know.
    I received a rejection email very shortly after.

So, am I really missing out on some great deals and/or items or not?

It gives me a bad feeling going through so much trouble to give someone my business. Like I have to prove myself or my money is good enough.

Am I wrong for feeling this way?

Banned

Re: Grey Flannel auctions

Wow, business must be booming if they are turning down bidders!

Banned

I bid on (and was the highest bidder going into extended bidding) of a jersey GF had up for auction but in the meantime did some research and determined that it couldn't be real due to the placement of a logo. I contacted them about it, and was subsequently banned...

Ouch. Maybe I am not missing much then.

They never accepted my registration either saying at one time if I wanted to bid on a item I would need to send a check and only after they would cash it they would place my bid ...if i didn't got the item they said they would refund me the money but of course I never sent anything...

Just wanted to leave my story here about them and since its their auction house they can run however they want to run it so in any way I'm bashing them...just leaving my story also....
    Collecting Philadelphia Eagles items

As bad as it sounds I am actually feeling much better about the whole situation.

Isn't it a good thing that bidders be vetted and their funds verified? With eBay (and presumably "other" auction houses) how would you like to bid against a bidder who is bidding with monopoly money? Or, how would you like to go through the hassle of consigning an item then the winning bidder doesn't pay.

I just read somebody's story:

I bid on (and was the highest bidder going into extended bidding) of a jersey GF had up for auction but in the meantime did some research and determined that it couldn't be real due to the placement of a logo. I contacted them about it, and was subsequently banned...

We've all seen the effort Grey Flannel puts into vetting and authenticating items. Its extensive. So basically, this person bid on the item during the auction and then AFTER the auction decided they changed their mind about their own comfort. Sounds like an appropriate banning to me.

An auction house should be vetting items as Grey Flannel is. And an auction house should be vetting bidders to make sure only bidders who are standing behind their bids are involved. Its not something to complain about its something hat upholds the integrity of the auction process. Most things I see on eBay are crap and and most auctions I see run on eBay are manipulated. Grey Flannel should be as opposite eBay as possible.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dplettn View Post

I just read somebody's story:

We've all seen the effort Grey Flannel puts into vetting and authenticating items. Its extensive. So basically, this person bid on the item during the auction and then AFTER the auction decided they changed their mind about their own comfort. Sounds like an appropriate banning to me.
    Well if you'd like me to go into further detail instead of just criticizing me...

From memory, they took so long to accept my registration that it was only done in time to bid the day the auctions closed. I was wanting one of a few items but they mostly got out of my price range, so bid on something else that I assumed (with their inspection skills and the COA) would be legit. While the auction was on I started looking for a photomatch, and the one I found proved that there was something wrong, so I got in touch with them immediately. They didn't like that I was questioning them and before they really even fully responded they banned me (as I would have instead bid on the other item I wanted that was into extended bidding).

I've been asked by most auction houses to provide my credit card information as a verification tool. I didn't have an issue with this. The items Grey Flannel sells tend to go from somewhat expensive to insanely expensive, so it makes sense to me why they would want some verification.

When I was new there and told them I had an interest in bidding on a relatively expensive item that was a "featured item," they asked that I demonstrate an ability to pay (e.g., send a redacted bank account). Again, I thought this was reasonable and complied. I didn't take it personally. They had no idea who I was.

If I was a consignor, I would be very happy that they are taking steps to reduce the likelihood of non-paying bidders.

I have found that no major auction house except Heritage accepts credit cards.

Regards,
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by esquiresports View Post
    I've been asked by most auction houses to provide my credit card information as a verification tool. I didn't have an issue with this. The items Grey Flannel sells tend to go from somewhat expensive to insanely expensive, so it makes sense to me why they would want some verification.

When I was new there and told them I had an interest in bidding on a relatively expensive item that was a "featured item," they asked that I demonstrate an ability to pay (e.g., send a redacted bank account). Again, I thought this was reasonable and complied. I didn't take it personally. They had no idea who I was.

If I was a consignor, I would be very happy that they are taking steps to reduce the likelihood of non-paying bidders.

I have found that no major auction house except Heritage accepts credit cards.

Regards,
    Scott

Mears Auctions accept credit cards as well.