Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thoughts on/experience with selling a mid-range ($1,000-$5,000) game used item on eBay?

While I have made several purchases through auction houses, I have actually never consigned to one. One of my purchases came with two game used items, and I am interested in selling one.

I was thinking about placing the item on eBay, thinking that maybe its connection to a respected auction house could assist with a sale.

I am hoping to get feedback from forum users on a couple particular questions:

1. Have you had any success selling game used items valued between $1000 and $5000 on eBay?

2. Do you see any downside to trying this route and, if it doesn't work, consigning to an auction house?

Thanks for the insights,
    Scott

Re: Thoughts on/experience with selling a mid-range ($1,000-$5,000) game used item on eBay?

Keep in mind that about 10% will go to eBay in fees...

Re: Thoughts on/experience with selling a mid-range ($1,000-$5,000) game used item on eBay?

Agreed, thru eBay there are the fees of around 10%, plus you may not have as many real serious buyers.
    The drawback with auction houses is the fees can add up to quite a bit more, maybe 20-30%, so you really need them to maximize the gross price on the item for you. The higher end ones should have the clientele to do that, but still you are also waiting start to finish on getting paid maybe 3-6 months, depending on lead time to their auction.
    For something in the $1,500 range, eBay isn't really a bad option. Your best route, of course, is private sale where all the funds go to you alone.

I think it will make a big difference too whether the item is closer to $5k and not $1k. If you go to eBay, just place a reserve on it to protect yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by esquiresports View Post
    While I have made several purchases through auction houses, I have actually never consigned to one. One of my purchases came with two game used items, and I am interested in selling one.

I was thinking about placing the item on eBay, thinking that maybe its connection to a respected auction house could assist with a sale.

I am hoping to get feedback from forum users on a couple particular questions:

1. Have you had any success selling game used items valued between $1000 and $5000 on eBay?

2. Do you see any downside to trying this route and, if it doesn't work, consigning to an auction house?

Thanks for the insights,
    Scott
    I sold a jersey a few weeks ago on Ebay for $4000+. If your worried about fees just list the price to cover them. I dont see a downside at all to Ebay compared to an auction house. With an auction house your taking a chance with the market price as well as fees. Plenty of big time collect search Ebay. Im actually pretty sure a big time dealer is who bought my jersey.

I tend to lean toward buying on eBay as it allows me to use a credit card to fund a purchase vs paying cash (sending a check).

The problem I see most of the time is sellers that think they have a holy grail and ask astronomical prices for average merchandise...

Two thumbs up for selling Ebay, especially if you know how much you want to get for the item. I am a big fan of the "Buy It Now" feature, and list most of my items that way. If you would be happy getting $2,000 for an item, just do the Buy It Now for that amount -- and it only takes one interested buyer with cash to take it. Would you have received more cash in a traditional auction format? Maybe. Would you have received less? Maybe. But I have sold items very quickly using this feature.

I have been on Ebay since 1998, and have seen many gradual changes there over the years. I do have to say that buying and selling there has worked very well for me.

Good luck!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Anthony Nunez
    Historian, USFL Houston Gamblers
    www.Houston-Gamblers.com

Like most others, eBay has worked out fine for me on a couple of higher dollar items.

I love the Buy It Now feature especially with a "require immediate payment". I am pretty well fed up with selling via auctions and Best Offers. I have had far too many people refuse to pay, the hassle of waiting and repeatedly requesting payments, and then the wait of cancelling the transaction to get fees refunded and then relisting the item. Its all just not worth it and you can't even leave negative feedback for the non-payers.

Also, with an item of that value, make sure you ship only to the paypal confirmed address and take proper precautions with insurance and signature confirmation. Last thing you want is someone claiming the item was not received, best to make them sign for it at thei confirmed address.

On the other hand, if its a George Brett bat/jersey, I'd say your best bet is to simply email me and save the hassle of selling on the open market...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Wes Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by Samets View Post
    The problem I see most of the time is sellers that think they have a holy grail and ask astronomical prices for average merchandise...
    And the flip side to that (as a seller) is dealing with ridiculous low-ball offers from people who think they should be able to buy everything for $9.99 with free shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by paul457 View Post
    And the flip side to that (as a seller) is dealing with ridiculous low-ball offers from people who think they should be able to buy everything for $9.99 with free shipping.
    I almost always use the option where you can automatically reject offers below the amount you choose. If I have a BIN price of $100 and am taking Best Offers, I'll usually auto-decline any offers below $50 or $60.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Anthony Nunez
    Historian, USFL Houston Gamblers
    www.Houston-Gamblers.com