Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eric
    • Jan 1970

Hack Wilson Bat on Panini Card

Saw someone post this on twitter. Does anyone know what the bat was graded by MEARS?

Eric
    Attached Files
    Always looking for game used San Diego Chargers items...
  • arminter1989
    • Jan 2013

Re: Hack Wilson Bat on Panini Card

I saw that post on twitter. It's crazy that Brad Ziegler would pull that card. It's kinda sad seeing such a nice artifact chopped up but that's another conversation.

Comment

• Masimen
      • Jun 2008

Ohh, thats a bummer!

Comment

• yanks12025
        • Jan 2006

I quickly looked on mears site, and its not listed under Hack Wilson backs when you do a search. Would be easier if we could figure out all the numbers.

Comment

• dietdew
          • Mar 2012

it kind of looks like 312_91 and the missing number is round at the top narrowing it to a 2,3,6,8, or 9

Comment

• yanks12025
            • Jan 2006

I looked and found nothing, so emailed Troy asking about it. But it doesn't even look like a knob.

Comment

• dietdew
              • Mar 2012

When I get really bored I look at some of the baseball card boards. I saw a Carew "knob" relic that was actually from the other end of the bat, so the term knob may have been used loosely.

It's funny to see Ziegler's name because yesterday I was reading a deadspin article about a pissing match he got into on ebay with the owner of a Babe Ruth redemption card.

Comment

• yanks12025
                • Jan 2006

I tweeted brad saying he should buy the whole bat instead of supporting these companies that destroy sports collectibles.

He wrote back saying "
                @yanks12025 I'll disagree with ur opinion - I like lower-end collectors being able to own a piece of history they couldn't afford otherwise"

Comment

• dietdew
                  • Mar 2012

Originally posted by yanks12025
                  I tweeted brad saying he should buy the whole bat instead of supporting these companies that destroy sports collectibles.

He wrote back saying "
                  @yanks12025 I'll disagree with ur opinion - I like lower-end collectors being able to own a piece of history they couldn't afford otherwise"
                  For the cost of one box of National Treasures, I could add about 3 full jerseys to my "low end" collection. Back when I only did cards, I had a bunch of game used card but quit buying them when I found that the premium pieces often cost a high percentage of getting a whole item or in some cases more than a complete item such as this:

Comment

• yanks12025
                    • Jan 2006

Troy wrote back to me, here's the list of Wilson bats that mears did.

Here is what I have.
                    303692-- Circa 1930's Hack Wilson Hanna Batrite Professional Model Bat
                    305155-- 1920's-30's Hack Wilson Kren's Professional Model Bat
                    308352--- 1925 Hack Wilson Louisville Slugger Professional Model Bat (First
                    Recorded H&B Bat)
                    308385---1932 Hack Wilson Model Spalding Autograph Store Bat - Sidewritten by Wilson
                    308631-- 1928 Hack Wilson Louisville Slugger Professional Model Late Bat - Prototype
                    310953-- 1927-36 Hack Wilson Spalding Autograph Model Bat - Sidewritten
                    312193---1932 Hack Wilson

So could this be another players bat?

Comment

• Eric
                      • Jan 1970

Good info, thanks. Hmm. I wonder if there's a typo somewhere

you listed
                      312193---1932 Hack Wilson

looks like that sticker could read

any idea what that Hack Wilson was graded? I'm interested what kinds of grades Panini puts on their cards.

Comment

• Eric
                        • Jan 1970

Here's a Mears graded A8 1932 Hack Wilson bat which sold on 4/1/2012 for $6684. I don't see a sticker on either end. (Tough to see the top of the bat)

https://mearsonlineauctions.com/LotD...-Bat-(MEARS-A8)

Comment

• GoTigers
                          • Aug 2007

Does the card say anywhere that the bat was game used by Hack? All it says on the front of the card, is that it's an "authentic knob"... and even that is incorrect, It's obviously a barrel end.

I think the only reason a card company would advertise a knob, and provide a barrel end, is because there were markings on the knob that showed this bat was obviously not used by Hack.. Either inch marks, or other makers marks.

If I'm reading this correctly Troy provided a list of all authenticated game used, Hack bats. So, I'm putting my money on this being a batrite with the patent marks on the knob, or a spalidng with the trademark on the knob which recieved an "authentic" grade from Mears, or some index bat.
                          Thanks,
                          Jimmy

Email:
                          jamesbrandt24 at yahoo.com

Comment

• GoTigers
                            • Aug 2007

These card companies are making big bucks by chopping up index and pro issued bats. Then they hide behind small print, and mislead their customers. "Game Used Hack Wilson Bat" could simply mean a bat with Hack Wilson on the barrel, was used in a game by some player. That's much different than, "Bat Used by Hack Wilson".

That's why I think the debate about cutting up artifacts is overrated. The card companies are cutting up $500 index bats, not $8000 game used bats. They are in the game to make money, so they'll spend as little as possible on "artifacts" and leave it up to the lawyers for the description.

Don't get me wrong, I know there have been some great pieces destroyed by these companies, but I think its the exeption rather than the rule. If they were cutting up "GU 10" bats, then they would advertize the fact, and provide images beforehand. This would assure the customer base that they were getting a part of history.
                            Thanks,
                            Jimmy

Email:
                            jamesbrandt24 at yahoo.com

Comment

• yanks12025
                              • Jan 2006

I looked on the mears datebaseand it lists 5. The one missing is the Eric pointed out from 1932. I have a feeling it is a type and the 1932 bat.

The Cobb they chopped up was a spalding. I'd like to see what joe jackson bat they destroyed.

Comment

Working...