Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

1992 Christian Laettner Team USA in Goldin Auctions

The Laettner USA uniform up forbidding in Goldin has been given an A10 by MEARS but under Provenance on their LOA, it lists n/a. I was always under the impression that post 1987 jerseys could not receive a higher grade than A5 from MEARS without supporting provenance origins. They gave it a base grade of 10?

http://www.goldinauctions.com/LotDet...Shooting-Shirt#

From MEARS:
    Post-1987 Jersey's: The highest grade a post-1987 jersey can obtain without team or player documentation, or verifiable provenance, or a combination of known distinct player specific traits is an A5.

Re: 1992 Christian Laettner Team USA in Goldin Auctions

Quote Originally Posted by CollectGU View Post
    The Laettner USA uniform up forbidding in Goldin has been given an A10 by MEARS but under Provenance on their LOA, it lists n/a. I was always under the impression that post 1987 jerseys could not receive a higher grade than A5 from MEARS without supporting provenance origins. They gave it a base grade of 10?

From MEARS:
    Post-1987 Jersey's: The highest grade a post-1987 jersey can obtain without team or player documentation, or verifiable provenance, or a combination of known distinct player specific traits is an A5.
    Although i have an auction ending in 2 weeks and have been very busy promoting a certain $3mil+ trading card, i wanted to take a second and reply.
    I like all of you never know what i am going to get back from MEARS. I sent in a Bradley jersey with provenance and a letter from Bradley, and it came back an 8. I sent in a Payton jersey with a letter from an NFL player , a receipt from the 1980s, and an article with the consignor being handed the jersey years ago from the NFL player as a game worn Payton jersey....it came back an A5...lack of use...and I ended up not running the item as a result.
    The Laettner ensamble came back an A-10. I can only imagine it is based on the part of the clause that was ignored by the poster regarding player characteristics, as well as the fact it was not just a jersey, but the complete ensemble head to ankle. I would think these questions on grades on not only this item, but any item is best directed towards the grader, be is MEARS, or PSA/DNA, or TAUBE, etc. and i find they are all pretty responsive to phone calls and email.

Quote Originally Posted by CollectGU View Post

From MEARS:
    It was probably photo matched.

Quote Originally Posted by KGoldin View Post
    Although i have an auction ending in 2 weeks and have been very busy promoting a certain $3mil+ trading card, i wanted to take a second and reply.

The Laettner ensame came back an A-10. I can only imagine it is based on the part of the clause that was ignored by the poster regarding player characteristics, as well as the fact it was not just a jersey, but the complete ensemble head to ankle. I would think these questions on grades on not only this item, but any item is best directed towards the grader, be is MEARS, or PSA/DNA, or TAUBE, etc. and i find they are all pretty responsive to phone calls and email.
    Ken,

Thanks for the reply and taking the time to respond. I will direct this inquiry to MEARS. BTW, I did not ignore player characteristics as alluded as this jersey has no unique player charasteristics, customizations, etc that would cause it to be graded higher. I appreciate the fact that you responded. Good luck with the auction.

Dave