Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

McGwire bat on eBay

Just noticed this on eBay. Wonder if those giant numbers on the knob were meant to cover up the other numbers that you can clearly see behind?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MARK-McGWIRE...item23293aff88
    Ricardo Montoya

ri.montoya at yahoo dot com

Re: McGwire bat on eBay

Quote Originally Posted by spartakid View Post
    Just noticed this on eBay. Wonder if those giant numbers on the knob were meant to cover up the other numbers that you can clearly see behind?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MARK-McGWIRE...item23293aff88
    Doesn't look like his tar pattern, and the usage suggests BP bat. Probably given to someone else to use, hence the number cover-up.

inverted the photo to reveal the number underneath and it look's like #47 miguel jimenez. mcgwire probably gave it to him since it was so late in the season in 93. when he was called up. to use for bp. he was gone early 94.

This is my bat that is in the listing, and I would be happy to answer any questions that you might have regarding it.

Quote Originally Posted by onlyalbert View Post
    Doesn't look like his tar pattern and the usage suggests BP bat.
    This statement is of pure ignorance. You obviously have NO idea of what his pine tar pattern is. Please provide visual of proof of BP usage vs. game usage, as I highly doubt you have any clue of what your talking about. Just provide facts, no rhetoric.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker View Post
    inverted the photo to reveal the number underneath and it look's like #47 miguel jimenez. mcgwire probably gave it to him since it was so late in the season in 93. when he was called up. to use for bp. he was gone early 94.
    I am sitting here holding the bat and I cannot make out #47.

Why don't you guys comment on the low production number of the bat, which points towards a very early season delivery. This is important as McGwire only played the first 27 games of the season. Also, what are the odds that this so called Jimenez that was a late season call up had the same pine tar pattern as McGwire? Maybe Big Mac tarred the bat, used it in BP, kept it around in the club house until September, and then game if to Jimenez? That sounds like a logical thesis...

Then there is chain of ownership and provenance, but I guess the bat boy who sold the collection could have forged the documentation or even altered the bat. Then maybe the dealer that I purchased it from, Adelson Sports, forged the documentation or committed the fraud in which you suggest? Or maybe it was me?

So which one is it guys? Why don't you take your speculation all the way so that you can break another forum rule.

i didn't realize? i was breaking a rule, if so i'm very sorry. here are the pic's and maybe you can make it out also. it look's as if the 47 was written in silver pen. "i kinda outlined it in red on the inverted photo" and them gone over with the black. you may have to blow it up on both piuc's to see. again i was just giving a reasonable reason as to why the 25 is like it is. it's not common for a mcgwire bat to have a 25 like that. it doen't mean it's not a authentic mcgwire gamer. i meant no harm. sorry twinlakespark. it more than likely was used by mcgwire early and loaned or given to another to use. that's all.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

I won't comment on the tar pattern as I don't know enough about Mac specifically. But do you see what I am talking about? Where the openings are on the two and five there appear to be much thinner sharpie numbers that are partially exposed. As far as giving it to Jimenez, I don't know one way or the other. But if it were given to him as you said (which does indeed happen often in club houses) wouldn't it be Jimenez's number on top if he were the last to use it? I simply posted this because of my own curiosity, not to accuse anyone in particular.
    Ricardo Montoya

ri.montoya at yahoo dot com

again i wasn't knocking the bat. everyone know's i'm a huge mcgwire collector. if his prices weren't so high. i would love to have it in my collection. simply because as "you" pointed out twinlakespark. 93 was a short year and there aren't that many 93 bats out there. again sorry if i rubbed anyone on here the wrong way. i was just trying to be helpful, so i'll shut up now.

Quote Originally Posted by spartakid View Post
    Where the openings are on the two and five there appear to be much thinner sharpie numbers that are partially exposed.
    I do see the two thin lines, but I can not even get close to making those out into a number...no even close. There is no variation in the think black that demonstrate a number cover up.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker View Post
    here are the pic's and maybe you can make it out also. it look's as if the 47 was written in silver pen. "i kinda outlined it in red on the inverted photo" and them gone over with the black. you may have to blow it up on both piuc's to see.
    The inverted photo is pretty cool, but I think that is a big stretch and not conclusive in my opinion. In fact, I respectfully ask that you remove that photo because I believe it is misleading. Maybe replace it with the copy before you drew the red lines on it?

You guys have to know that these posts are permanent and cannot be removed. If you are going to question the authenticity of an item, you need to have substantial proof to validate it. I am all about the promotion of knowledge in the hobby to clean it up as there is so much junk out there, but speculation surrounding one of my assets that could potentially harm its value because of the now permanent link to it from this thread is damaging.

the moderator's can remove it. i don't think all post's are permanent. moderators can you please delete my post's as i'm not trying to discredit the bat posted by another member. in my post's. i was just offering an reasonable explaination of what i was seeing. everyone doesn't see thing's the same way and i respect that! i was not meaning to cause any harm to the seller or the sale of the bat in this post or call into question the authenticity of this being a real mcgwire gamer. again sorry twinlakespark. it wasn't a personal or authenticity issue with the bat for me or my post's.

Not calling out the bat. Just giving my opinion. Here are a few other examples albeit later in his career. Hitter use on game bats usually is concentrated above the stamping on the face and for a RH hitter and/or on the back side of the bat.....not all over the bat. Also the tar is more spread out through the middle of the bat on a Mac. If he only played in 27 games then you would not see that much use leading to my BP theory. There is obviously a number under the 25 hence the tar pattern would be the other player's pattern, correct? And I've never seen the number 25 written like that on any other Mac bat and because it's on top of the other number leads me to believe someone other than Mac wrote it. Again, these are my opinions only.
    Attached Images Attached Images