Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • r_to_the_2nd@yahoo.com
    • Dec 2009

Re: A photo match for your collection

Anyone know who purchased this Sabo game used helmet? Would pay hansomly for this helmet.

Comment

• xpress34
      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by PK
      You could never sell me that a jersey is photomatched because the pinstripes line up.
      Pinstriped jerseys are the easiest to Photo Match (or to debunk).

You have to understand that to make a Pinstriped jersey, the material is cut randomly (depending on the size jersey being made) - meaning that it is not cut so that the pinstripes are in the same spot every time.

The Tackle Twill - Team Name, Player Name, Nmbers, Patches, MLB Logo, Manufacturer Logo (Rawlings, Russell, Majestic, etc) - is all added AFTER the jersey has been stitched together and buttons attached.

None of the Tackle Twill is aligned to the pinstripes. It is placed based on centering on the jersey or sleeves making it's alignment to any given pinstripe random as well.

Every pinstripe jersey is unique in how it's pinstripes and tackle twill appliques match up - much like a finger print.

Even the button placards are unique. I have Rockies jerseys with the pinstripe directly through the center of the button holes and ones with the stripes on either side of the button holes and everything in between.

The odds of any two pinstripe jerseys being exactly the same (unless all the pieces were hand cut and sewn to match pinstripe placement) is fairly astronomical.

The Yankees 'NY' and the Rockies 'CR' jerseys have something like 14-20 something unique points in their 'interlocking logos' that make pinstripe matching exact. In fact, it was the NY on the front of one of Roger Maris' 1960 Yankees jerseys that made it possible to photo match it (a 1960 jersey) as being THE jersey he was actually wearing when he hit #61 in 1961.

I would argue that if you are going to collect baseball jerseys, pinstripe jerseys are the best for photo matching purposes.

Comment

• xpress34
        • Sep 2008

I would also add (in reference to the 'Set' tags) that there is no 'common denominator' in set tags across MLB.

The Rockies for example have had jerseys with and without strip tags in the same year.

There has been no consistency with strip (set) tagging with the Rockies since they started in 1993.

One very unique item the Rockies did do with Russell (from 1993 until 2002 or so when Majestic took over) was the Rockies buttons on Home Whites. The jerseys that were sent directly to the clubhouse for players (whether named and numbered or blank back extras) had EXCLUSIVE Cream Colored buttons that had Colorado Rockies stamped around the edge of the buttons. I am not aware of any other team ever having this practice.

That said, in the Rockies 1st couple of years, there are some GAME USED 'store authentic' jerseys out there with Rockies LOAs that are legitimate. The Rockies had a habit of ordering as few jerseys as they could for players, and on more than one occasion after the 'jersey of the day' was selected by the pitcher, they would find out that a player didn't have the correct jersey due to damage or the jersey had been given away for charity or what have you.

The Rockies would send a clubbie to the team store in the stadium and have a jersey (store authentic) pulled and have the name and number stitched on for the player to wear in the game.

It makes collecting early (1993-1994) Rockies jerseys a tough nut to crack at points.

Just an FYI.

- Smitty

Comment

• johnsontravis@ymail.com
          • Dec 2013

Actually if you want to see difference in pinstripe jerseys you don't even need to compare two jerseys of the same player.

All the jerseys get the front lettering applied to it before it is ever assigned to a specific player. So really all you need is to compare jerseys in a single game. You will see every player has a unique way it lines up with pinstripes.

On the Brewers retro jerseys a lot of times the "W" will match up as it is in the middle near the opening, but other than that they are very different.

Comment

• xpress34
            • Sep 2008

Attached are pictures of 9 Rockies jerseys I own.

All home white Pinstripes.

I am only using the Swingman Logo and Button Placards to show the varience in just the most basic elements that are on all pinstripe Rox jerseys - whether blank back or done up.

Notice that while a couple look the same, they are actually different - look where the pnstripes come through the swingman... on the buttons notice how they are on either side of the stripe and some are right between the stripes. I have had one that had the pinstripe right down the middle through the buttons...

- Smitty
            Attached Files

Comment

• csu398
              • Apr 2011

2004 Francis rookie year road jersey. The AP image was taken on September 5th 2004 when he got his first MLB win.
              Attached Files

Comment

• genius
                • Aug 2007

definitive photo match and identifiable very quickly in my opinion. Easy to tell with the pinstripes.

Comment

Working...