Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Banned

Angry Re: Zach Hample and your croonies of ballhawk....

Another amusing thing about ballhawking is that some (not all) of its participants develop a sizeable ego based on the fact that they have caught hundreds or thousands of baseballs. Case in point: a regular at Wrigley Field from the 1980s until around 2005. He was trying...on the sly...to get me to sell his BP baseballs in lots of 100 for $1,000. He wanted it to be a secret because he was a major critic before that of Wrigley hawks who sold their catches, and he didn't want the obvious hypocrisy to become apparent.

Anyway, when I told him how comparitively cheaply small lots of BP baseballs were going for on eBay, he decided to put them up himself, individually. The prices were reasonable, but what was amazing was the fact that in both his attempts to sell through me and his eBay listings, he used the selling point that the item was caught by a Wrigley Field Ballhawk as a reason that the ball should be worth more. The multitude of such egos on the street is a main reason why I haven't gone out there except in passing in the last 5 years.

Dave M.

Re: Zach Hample and your croonies of ballhawk....

I am not a frequent poster on this site, but let me echo the sentiments about this guy being a Tool with a capital "T". I attend many games throughout the year at Camden Yards and my eyes roll when I see Zach standing at the gates before they open. I have been run over by him several times, one time almost coming to blows, because of his reckless pursuit of baseballs. He walks around like he's some sort of celebrity and has even has other people tag along with video cameras to document his sorry life. I feel like yelling "You're a grown man, get a real job!" No matter how many baseballs he gets, it's never enough and the money he must spend buying tickets and traveling to all these stadiums can never add up to the waste of time and years he's spent robbing other people of their once-in-a-lifetime moment.

He literally runs at full speed at every single baseball that gets airborne. I have personally seen him run over woman and children and never even show an ounce of remorse for taking a ball from them. Nothing beats seeing the excitement on a kids' face when he/she gets a game ball for the first time and he acts like he deserves it because he's just better at it or more prepared. Well congratulations sir, you beat out an 8 year old for a baseball. Job well done!

For someone so "skilled" at getting baseballs, he shows a total lack of awareness for other human beings. His eyes are up in the air on the ball and will literally run you over without even blinking an eye. I would be happy to see him banned from every major and minor league ballpark in the country, but that would simply expedite his next foray onto the little league fields of America where he streaks across the field for every ball that gets past the parade of little leaguers all chasing the batted ball at the same time. Sadly, he'd come out of the pile of screaming and crying children with his prize raised high above his head and tweeting some exaggerated tale about how he just beat out "nine other seasoned ballhawks" for some kids' first homerun ball. He knows no shame and the videos posted only prove that point.

I've only met Mr Hample once - at Coors Field a couple of years ago - but he was 'hobbled' at the time... I believe he was in a walking boot.

That said, I did not get to witness his 'antics' firsthand, but I have witnessed them from other so called 'ballhawks'.

One 'ballhawk' in Denver actually kicked my glove when a ball landed in front of me and I covered it as I was leaning down to pick it up. He admitted he was trying to kick it loose because I did not have 'control' of the ball. He's a guy I know too - when I stood up, I politely told him that if he touches me again trying to pursue a ball - or to knock a ball away from me - it will be the last time he uses that appendage for the foreseeable future.

If I was in the presence of Mr Hample 'bearing down' on me in pursuit of a ball, it would not 'almost' come to blows - I would drop him like I would anyone else who has no apparent concern for anyone's safety as he runs like a fool into me.

I do not get into scrums for balls, fight for balls, etc. If they are coming to me, all I expect is a fair chance to catch it cleanly,then it's up for grabs if I miss it - as long as you aren't trying to climb or crawl over me to get to it.

My only 'almost came to blows' instance was last year at Coors Field. Not even a hit ball which makes it worse. I was behind the visitors dugout trying to get Big Mac to sign a book. He couldn't because of the crowd and he offers to throw up a ball to me. Everyone moves, he throws the ball and a douchbag to my left steps towards me and reaches over with his glove and snags the ball. He didn't touch me, just stole a ball that Mac intended for me... I had a few choice words with him before i was warned about my language by Coors Field usher who said nothing about his actions. I then turned towards him and told him he should run and he didn't want to be there for me to repeat myself. He took my advice. Mac made it up the next day by signing multiple items for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottiep12 View Post
    I am not a frequent poster on this site, but let me echo the sentiments about this guy being a Tool with a capital "T". I attend many games throughout the year at Camden Yards and my eyes roll when I see Zach standing at the gates before they open. I have been run over by him several times, one time almost coming to blows, because of his reckless pursuit of baseballs. He walks around like he's some sort of celebrity and has even has other people tag along with video cameras to document his sorry life. I feel like yelling "You're a grown man, get a real job!" No matter how many baseballs he gets, it's never enough and the money he must spend buying tickets and traveling to all these stadiums can never add up to the waste of time and years he's spent robbing other people of their once-in-a-lifetime moment.

He literally runs at full speed at every single baseball that gets airborne. I have personally seen him run over woman and children and never even show an ounce of remorse for taking a ball from them. Nothing beats seeing the excitement on a kids' face when he/she gets a game ball for the first time and he acts like he deserves it because he's just better at it or more prepared. Well congratulations sir, you beat out an 8 year old for a baseball. Job well done!

For someone so "skilled" at getting baseballs, he shows a total lack of awareness for other human beings. His eyes are up in the air on the ball and will literally run you over without even blinking an eye. I would be happy to see him banned from every major and minor league ballpark in the country, but that would simply expedite his next foray onto the little league fields of America where he streaks across the field for every ball that gets past the parade of little leaguers all chasing the batted ball at the same time. Sadly, he'd come out of the pile of screaming and crying children with his prize raised high above his head and tweeting some exaggerated tale about how he just beat out "nine other seasoned ballhawks" for some kids' first homerun ball. He knows no shame and the videos posted only prove that point.

Just a quick update from "secondary" source at Yankee stadium.

His picture is posted at the stadium's security main office. HR area's security, team leader and supervisor has been informed of his antics along with his croonies.

His and their days of STANDING and watching the game from ANYWHERE within the section is over. And if they see him, he will be warned in ADVANCE along with ZERO tolerance - Ejection will be swift and quick.

There have been complaints and reports filing against at the stadium and they are taking it very seriously.

Please note that I have no dog in this fight.

That being said it is most definitely beginning to sound
    more like sour grapes/ jealously on the part of DanMarino13, rather than
    genuine concern for the well being of fellow fans.

Kcco!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gyro123 View Post

I could care less about the $5 baseball.

I have more than ENOUGH signed game used items and they are ALL authenticated as such from MLB/Steinersports.

If anything, I would say REGRET. I would definitely REGRET my decision of beating the pulp out of him if Zach and his croonies EVER touch my families in pursuit of a baseball. And old school way of saying "break the arm and it will never do no wrong again".

Quote Originally Posted by Gyro123 View Post

I was thinking the same thing.
    - CINCINNATI REDS/JOEY VOTTO BATS
    Email: rdeversole@gmail.com Twitter: @dugoutrelics

My two cents?

I ballhawk. I am not nearly as aggressive as what is described in this thread and also have a different "code" that I follow. I have about 120 baseballs and have never taken any for granted or feel entitled to any. I just show up to games and BP with a glove and try to go home with a souvenir. With that being said I also know that being 29 years old means I am towards the bottom of the list for people that should go home with a ball. If a child is around me, I will not get in their way, I will not come between them and their family. However, if I do see that the kid (and father or other family figure) is having a hard time getting a ball, I will often try to shout towards a player and get their attention and point out the kid.

Where I AM different is that most ballhawks would then step in, catch the ball and give it to the kid. I do not want to be such a major part of this awesome memory, instead I step back and watch the kid (and sometimes his/her parent) catch the ball. Sure, I could inflate my "balls caught" total, but why inflate a number that means nothing other than to myself? Why include myself in this kid's memory of their first baseball?

So please, not all "ballhawks" are bad. Some of them are, but many times they are misunderstood. I am not speaking up for Zack (yes, with a K, not an H), because I have never met him and was not there. I am speaking up for myself and the couple of other "ballhawks" I have met, since we are not like what you have described. I enjoy the thrill of catching a baseball - batting practice and games - I'll never sell one and never think I am better than someone because I have caught X number of balls. I'll be the first to admit, I am making up for all the times I didn't catch a ball when I was younger, the times I was inched out or didn't bring a glove to a game - it was a dream of mine to obtain a MLB baseball, and I am still living that dream.

Thanks,
    Tony

xpress34 - I will be coming to Denver this year, hoping to score ONE commemorative baseball to put in my mancave. Please, do not fear, I will not be kicking your glove or taking your space away, but if you are at the game, I'd definitely like to stop and say hi! (Plus, I haven't seen Cuddy in nearly 2 years; us Minnesotans miss him.)

Quote Originally Posted by tony433433 View Post
    My two cents?

I ballhawk. I am not nearly as aggressive as what is described in this thread and also have a different "code" that I follow. I have about 120 baseballs and have never taken any for granted or feel entitled to any. I just show up to games and BP with a glove and try to go home with a souvenir. With that being said I also know that being 29 years old means I am towards the bottom of the list for people that should go home with a ball. If a child is around me, I will not get in their way, I will not come between them and their family. However, if I do see that the kid (and father or other family figure) is having a hard time getting a ball, I will often try to shout towards a player and get their attention and point out the kid.

Where I AM different is that most ballhawks would then step in, catch the ball and give it to the kid. I do not want to be such a major part of this awesome memory, instead I step back and watch the kid (and sometimes his/her parent) catch the ball. Sure, I could inflate my "balls caught" total, but why inflate a number that means nothing other than to myself? Why include myself in this kid's memory of their first baseball?

So please, not all "ballhawks" are bad. Some of them are, but many times they are misunderstood. I am not speaking up for Zack (yes, with a K, not an H), because I have never met him and was not there. I am speaking up for myself and the couple of other "ballhawks" I have met, since we are not like what you have described. I enjoy the thrill of catching a baseball - batting practice and games - I'll never sell one and never think I am better than someone because I have caught X number of balls. I'll be the first to admit, I am making up for all the times I didn't catch a ball when I was younger, the times I was inched out or didn't bring a glove to a game - it was a dream of mine to obtain a MLB baseball, and I am still living that dream.

Thanks,
    Tony

xpress34 - I will be coming to Denver this year, hoping to score ONE commemorative baseball to put in my mancave. Please, do not fear, I will not be kicking your glove or taking your space away, but if you are at the game, I'd definitely like to stop and say hi! (Plus, I haven't seen Cuddy in nearly 2 years; us Minnesotans miss him.)

You, sir, are NOT a ballhawk.

You are just like the rest of us who happened to love the feeling of catching a baseball during BP - which is the only reason why anyone would show up 2 hours prior to first pitch. If the baseball is within your five-foot vicinity, then it is all fair game. But if you have to do a 50 meter dash and could care less who surrounding you, then that is another story.

I have met plenty of fans who caught BP baseballs and gave them to family with toddlers. Their reaction of receiving a baseball is priceless. There is NO entitlement in the kids' eyes when you hand them the ball. But on the other hands, there are parents who shout everything under the sun at the players for a baseball, and when the players reject the notion -- here comes obscenity!

And for people who think I am envy/jealous/etc -- why would I want to be OCD/ADD just to catch thousands of USELESS baseballs? And yes they ARE useless in the eyes of the GAME USED universe.