Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

G.U. Moment for the Baltimore Orioles

Most teams in the MLB have had a Game Used program. I think the Detroit Tigers probably have the most sophisticated program.

Working with the Orioles last year we established a game used baseball and bat program but it was nowhere near what the Tigers were doing.

The Orioles had never had a hologram'd game used jersey "plan" until now. The difference between this program and the Tigers is we plan on making this very exclusive and mostly on a pre-reserved basis.

It was a good week to start it as the team had 2 walk-offs with a Wieters Grand Slam and a Markakis walk-off single plus Chris Davis setting the MLB record for most RBIs to start a season as well as popular players like youngster Manny Machado and All Star Adam Jones.

When we pulled 1 jersey from each what we discovered was tremendous use on these jerseys and much more than what they would've gotten from washes this season and Spring Training. We're fairly certain the jerseys were also worn last season which is significant because that would make the Manny Machado jersey potentially his Rookie jersey.

Here's the Wieters Grand Slam jersey that was marked WO for Walk-off and taken off the field last night and hologram'd.

Name:  wieters_grand_slam4.jpg
Views: 886
Size:  77.2 KB

Name:  wieters_grand_slam3.jpg
Views: 891
Size:  98.7 KB

Name:  wieters_grand_slam2.jpg
Views: 873
Size:  114.0 KB

Name:  machado.jpg
Views: 913
Size:  68.5 KB

Name:  orioles_jerseys_2013.jpg
Views: 866
Size:  81.6 KB

Oh yah, we are now collecting HR balls that land in the bullpen areas and Centerfield and bounce back on the field.

Name:  Adam_Jone_HR_ball.jpg
Views: 887
Size:  251.2 KB
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Re: G.U. Moment for the Baltimore Orioles

Please don't post any questions about "For sale" or "Pricing". Many of you have inquired about an Orioles jersey program and HR Balls, etc.

If you have those types of questions, just reach me outside of the GUU. Thanks.
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Hi Andrew,

Out of curiosity, when you say hologramed, you mean the MLB holos? Not your own in house ones?

Great work btw.

Orioles 2012 jerseys have the 20th anniversary patch, which is larger than the Earl Weaver patch used this year. Did you observe any residue of the patch on the 2013 jerseys? It's quite surprising that those jerseys are carried over from 2012, but I guess there's no better explanation if they all show heavy use...

Quote Originally Posted by allstarsplus View Post
    When we pulled 1 jersey from each what we discovered was tremendous use on these jerseys and much more than what they would've gotten from washes this season and Spring Training. We're fairly certain the jerseys were also worn last season which is significant because that would make the Manny Machado jersey potentially his Rookie jersey.

It's very interesting to see how one club's setting up its program, and thanks for that insight. I've had the impression from my occasional surveying of MLB authentication that details such as how many items are authenticated, and how detailed the descriptions are, vary widely from one MLB city to another. If each club sets up (and controls) its own program, and the local authenticators go along with it, that would explain much of the variability.

That's interesting, in view of the fact that MLB authentication presents itself as a central, unified program.

Quote Originally Posted by Klattsy View Post
    Hi Andrew,

Out of curiosity, when you say hologramed, you mean the MLB holos? Not your own in house ones?

Great work btw.
    Oh yes, MLB holograms!
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Quote Originally Posted by csu398 View Post
    Orioles 2012 jerseys have the 20th anniversary patch, which is larger than the Earl Weaver patch used this year. Did you observe any residue of the patch on the 2013 jerseys? It's quite surprising that those jerseys are carried over from 2012, but I guess there's no better explanation if they all show heavy use...
    That's a great point. We did on a couple of them.
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Quote Originally Posted by coxfan View Post
    It's very interesting to see how one club's setting up its program, and thanks for that insight. I've had the impression from my occasional surveying of MLB authentication that details such as how many items are authenticated, and how detailed the descriptions are, vary widely from one MLB city to another. If each club sets up (and controls) its own program, and the local authenticators go along with it, that would explain much of the variability.

That's interesting, in view of the fact that MLB authentication presents itself as a central, unified program.
    The authenticators are all MLB so authentications should be very standardized to the MLB procedures. They are assigned to the team and rotate.

I'm a collector also so I was surprised that when I bought Red Sox balls last year that it gave no description on the baseballs other than "Game Used" and the date but keep in mind, that may be how they wanted it done there. I really have no other insight into that.

All you have to do is watch one of the MLB videos of an authenticator to see how busy they are to then understand that sometimes they can't get as detailed as you may want it.
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Thanks for the comments, Andrew. My impression is that clubs specify what they want and the authenticators comply. Based on my own surveys, I think marketing and a sense of the historic are the governing factors on what the club requests from the authenticator.

I've seen games in which only 6 balls were authenticated; up to as many as 55 from an important game with each described for its last use. I recently bought a ball from Washington's win over the Braves on 5-26-12. It appeared the club wanted only balls either pitched by Strasburg or to Harper which were then thrown out of play.; plus the game's final out and a Harper HR retrieved by security. Each of these balls (about 12 total) was authenticated with its last use in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by coxfan View Post
    Thanks for the comments, Andrew. My impression is that clubs specify what they want and the authenticators comply. Based on my own surveys, I think marketing and a sense of the historic are the governing factors on what the club requests from the authenticator.

I've seen games in which only 6 balls were authenticated; up to as many as 55 from an important game with each described for its last use. I recently bought a ball from Washington's win over the Braves on 5-26-12. It appeared the club wanted only balls either pitched by Strasburg or to Harper which were then thrown out of play.; plus the game's final out and a Harper HR retrieved by security. Each of these balls (about 12 total) was authenticated with its last use in the game.
    That's interesting based on what you have seen and it's very complicated since there is a request list for each game and the game would have to cooperate to get that ball someone wants as the umpire decides generally what balls come out of play unless it is a historic moment like a 1st hit or 3,000th hit or some other special moment.

Then also consider that the 3rd out balls are usually tossed into the crowd by the last player that touched it.

We've been fortunate to get what I consider to be the ultimate "The Home Run ball" and then next is the Strikeout ball. We already have requests for games that are months away!

On the other hand since the beginning of last season, we still have not received a ball thrown by the Orioles closer Jim Johnson. Still waiting!
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500