Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned

Game issued turning into game worn

So I've been reading a few posts here that say they have bought jerseys or known of jerseys that have been purchased as game issued but have shown "use" and therefore they believe it is game worn.

Is it just me or is it a case of "seeing what you want to see".

I mean a few have come with paperwork from very reputable sources who say the jerseys are only issued. If the jersey has marks etc that could be confused with game use and they clearly state and sell it only as issued then doesnt that mean its definitely only issued? I mean Obviously if they had a jersey that was worn they would sell it as worn. Maybe the loose threads etc came naturally or was manufactured to have that snag or flaw? Maybe the jersey was thrown around since it was never worn?

I feel like I taking crazy pills.
    Anyone else thought the same thing?

Re: Game issued turning into game worn

I'd tend to agree with you, until I bought a "game issued" jersey from a collector and subsequently photomatched it. It happens...

That said, there are some obvious scammers out there who will buy issued jerseys and then magically find use.

BTW: The majority of jerseys I buy from teams are sold as issued but the majority clearly show use.

These days especially in MLB some jerseys are collected to be authenticated after the fact. In this case, the authenticator has no way of knowing if the jersey was worn or not and the game it was worn in. Better to authenticate it as Team Issued and have it be used then the other way around. You'd be pissed if you bought a star player jersey authenticated as used and pay accordingly then find out it was never worn.

Banned

Yes that's true. I have no experience with MLB jerseys but if you can photo match it then obviously that is different - jackpot!

I just feel that people are buying issued jerseys and seeing what they want to see and then claiming use when snags, pulls and loose threads don't have to come from being used in a game.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by emann View Post
    I'd tend to agree with you, until I bought a "game issued" jersey from a collector and subsequently photomatched it. It happens...

That said, there are some obvious scammers out there who will buy issued jerseys and then magically find use.

BTW: The majority of jerseys I buy from teams are sold as issued but the majority clearly show use.
    What does "clearly show use" mean though. Cause I'm thinking that the jerseys that go unused may get something that can be confused with use simply by the way they may be handled (thrown around etc) and may even be mistakenly washed by a worker. If you can photo match it then perfect but if the loa says issued then isn't it a little dishonest to claim it was used (unless photo matched of course)

I have a white 2010 Dallas Cowboys #40 Danny McCray jersey that was worn in every game of the 2010 season. It is hammered and has over 10 team repairs. I have photomatched it to numerous games using game wear, team repairs and thread patterns.

The jersey came from Steiner with a card stating it is game issued, yet with a full season's use it could not be more game used. A huge mistake on Steiner's part, but mistakes do happen. Also, sometimes authenticators just say issued if they didn't witness the jersey coming off the player's back.

Having the correct paperwork is obviously ideal, but if you can 100% photomatch the jersey and save a few hundred dollars, I have no problem. This is only football jerseys I am talking about. NBA or to a lesser degree MLB jerseys are very different due to the lack of game use evident because of the nature of the sports. That would worry me if I collected those.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by scottishcowboy41 View Post
    I have a white 2010 Dallas Cowboys #40 Danny McCray jersey that was worn in every game of the 2010 season.
    I found a picture which proves he did not wear a white jersey in every game of the 2010 season:

Your jersey must be a fake.

I believe scottishcowboy41 was referring to the jersey being used in every game that the Cowboys wore white. I'll let him clarify things, but I wouldn't throw the term fake out there without seeing the jersey first.

As for my 2¢ on the issue or issued/worn, I just worry with the amount of items MLB posts as Issued that there are people in the hobby who take advantage of that terminology to pass something off incorrectly. Most notably the "Mike Trout" helmet discussed on the Auction Items forum here.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_f...ad.php?t=55182
    Cheers,
    Jack

Actively looking for a Brad Lidge Philadelphia Phillies Game Used Cap!
    My Memorabilia Collection

Banned

Yea as I said earlier if it has obvious wear and marks and can be photmatched then great BUT if you are really wanting to see some use you'll see some use if that makes sense. Justifying a few loose threads to try and say an issued jersey must be worn I think is wrong. Unless you can photo match.

Quote Originally Posted by Takuleechch View Post
    Yea as I said earlier if it has obvious wear and marks and can be photmatched then great BUT if you are really wanting to see some use you'll see some use if that makes sense. Justifying a few loose threads to try and say an issued jersey must be worn I think is wrong. Unless you can photo match.
    There are some little tells that you can sometimes find if you've handled alot of gamers (i only collect MLB, so that's what I'm referring to). I personally don't feel they should be posted to the forum as I'd hate to be the one who clues forgers in on things to start adding to their forged use jerseys.

That said, happy to share if you contact me directly.

But here is a question: would you still consider it wrong if the above poster who bought the pounded Cowboys jersey couldn't photomatch it, but it came from the team in obvious used condition? I think there are many variables with collecting, so I think it's tough to generalize.