Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Game Used Collecting Makes The Tabloids in Dispute over Kobe Bryant Items

It seems game used collecting has hit the tabloids. See below from TMZ.com.

Kobe Bryant is in a tooth-and-nail fight with his mother over some priceless basketball memorabilia, including his 1998 All Star ring.

Seems Kobe's mom, Pamela Bryant, made a deal with Goldin Auctions to sell hoards of Kobe's bball swag, including a 2000 All Star game signed ball, game and practice jerseys from his days at Lower Merion High School, a Lakers jacket and shorts, trophies, his varsity high school letters and lots of other stuff.

According to a lawsuit ... obtained by TMZ ... the auction house gave Pamela a $450,000 advance, which she says will be used immediately to buy a new home. According to the lawsuit, Pamela told the auction house Kobe gave her all the stuff outright 5 years ago.

But Kobe has beef, claiming he's the owner of the stuff and he's trying to block the auction.

So a fearful Goldin Auctions has gone to court, naming Kobe as the defendant and asking a judge to declare Pamela the owner of the goods.

A judge has yet to rule.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2013/05/03/kobe-b...#ixzz2SEmOrZYV

Re: Game Used Collecting Makes The Tabloids in Dispute over Kobe Bryant Items

Oh wow - that's certainly not a desirable situation.
    - CINCINNATI REDS/JOEY VOTTO BATS
    Email: rdeversole@gmail.com Twitter: @dugoutrelics

Goldin Auctions vs Kobe Bryant...how come TMZ got the dirt on this before we did??

I cannot comment on the case, so don't ask or expect
    but a more detailed story appeared here

http://www.philly.com/philly/busines..._his_past.html

Kobe should have just bid on "his" stuff and been done with this. Now the family's dirty laundry is hanging there for everyone to see...

Quote Originally Posted by Samets View Post
    Kobe should have just bid on "his" stuff and been done with this. Now the family's dirty laundry is hanging there for everyone to see...
    I couldn't disagree more. Who would spend 1-2 million dollars on their own stuff? I don't care how much money you have, not to mention that he would have to win every auction just to maintain his treasures. What he should've done is buy his mom that house instead of her selling all his items, it certainly would've been cheaper!

Banned

I just read the article KGoldin posted.
    It doesn't sound to me that she has a right to any of that stuff at all.
    He left it at his mums house and she thinks she then owns it?
    Even if he did give it to her she could have waited a few years till he retired and get a bit more for it.
    As much as I would like an opportunity to get something rare of his they are his items and he deserves them back. I mean why would he want to part with him awards and memories? He's not broke!

My guess is that if Kobe doesn't want his stuff for sale then it won't be sold( unless there is some $ in it for him). All parties involved recognize the value and scarcity of the items.

This isn't the first time something like this has happened in the hobby but this has to be the largest and most prominent case.

This may also set a precedence going forward but has so many different facets to it such as gifted items and defining possession and abandonment of property.
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

I also think the items are now worth more given the validation that Kobe himself has given to it. It was one thing to have his mother's provenance but this takes it to a much bigger level.
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500