Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Samardzija Bloody Baseball

I'm sure Reds Authentics manager Jon Cline (JCline@reds.com) would be able to answer any questions about the ball. He'd be the best source on the issue.

I'm sure the media coverage on the ball caught The Sharks attention.
    - CINCINNATI REDS/JOEY VOTTO BATS
    Email: rdeversole@gmail.com Twitter: @dugoutrelics

I'm sure the media coverage on the ball caught The Sharks attention.[/quote]

The media coverage did bring the auction to Samardzija's attention, but if you read the first article I posted, it sounded like he was really cool with the ball being auctioned off. He's a very laid back guy and was joking about the ball in interviews, I'd be very surprised if he was the reason the ball was pulled from auction.

Quote Originally Posted by frikativ54 View Post
    Please explain.
    Jon Cline is extremely courteous and to the extent his schedule allows, I'm sure he'd help people to understand the good intentions involved. Knowing how hard Jon works, I'd like to offer my educated guess as an explanation.

For starters its important to understand that Reds Authentics' proceeds benefit the Reds Community Fund. Basically Reds Authentics' proceeds pay for outreach baseball programs where they are needed most. Its a charitable purpose, not a way the Reds organization furthers its financial coffers.

Understanding Reds Authentics' financial interests, its probably easy for all to appreciate that it wouldn't have fit Reds Authentics' interest to sensationalize anything that some might consider indecent or exploitative about the ball. It would appear that when the media portrayed the ball's existence in a way that could be considered exploitative of the players' DNA, that the Players Association made a request. I'm not at all surprised Reds Authentics served the Players Association's request.

Feel free ask of Jon's time because his service standards are exceptional. Consider to do it as a customer though... for any of the many Reds game used items that serves a wholly good purpose of baseball outreach programs.

The media coverage did bring the auction to Samardzija's attention, but if you read the first article I posted, it sounded like he was really cool with the ball being auctioned off. He's a very laid back guy and was joking about the ball in interviews, I'd be very surprised if he was the reason the ball was pulled from auction.[/quote]

Just a guess, but I think the Players Association probably is conscientious about all things that could set a precedent. I don't blame anybody or anything for any part of this situation. Once the ball was portrayed by the media in a way that could potentially have been considered exploitative, it would have been pretty easy to anticipate that well intentioned folks would make clear there were no such intentions.

Quote Originally Posted by dplettn View Post
    The media coverage did bring the auction to Samardzija's attention, but if you read the first article I posted, it sounded like he was really cool with the ball being auctioned off. He's a very laid back guy and was joking about the ball in interviews, I'd be very surprised if he was the reason the ball was pulled from auction.
    Just a guess, but I think the Players Association probably is conscientious about all things that could set a precedent. I don't blame anybody or anything for any part of this situation. Once the ball was portrayed by the media in a way that could potentially have been considered exploitative, it would have been pretty easy to anticipate that well intentioned folks would make clear there were no such intentions.[/quote]

When you put it that way, I could definitely see that happening and understand it, although it still sucks, I would've loved to have that baseball and I'm not even a GU baseball guy.

Not sure why nevrdiez34's words about Samardzija's perspective is showing on this thread as my quote.

I just hope knowledge that Reds Authentics pulled the listing with the best of intentions is helpful to nevrdiez34 and anyone else who was interested in the item.

Why would someone wanted a blood stained baseball? Isn't that kind of gross.

It is very unique, and has a story behind it. I don't think anyone plans on playing with it yanks, more of a display piece. Wouldn't you like the famous Nolan Ryan blood drenched jersey?

I was already on top of it. I finally heard back from Mr. Cline. It was indeed at the Player's Association's request. Good intuition gang!

Quote Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
    Why would someone wanted a blood stained baseball? Isn't that kind of gross.

I didn't understand the lure of this item either. Curt Schilling's sock had some real unique history behind it, the injury, the fact he worked though it, the time of year, the opponent etc.

I'm not discounting the ball, just saying as an average fan that I wouldn't have even known about it without the MLB auction. Now that I do, I must be missing something. Considering my love of rare game used items, can someone tell me why this is collectible?
    Bieksallent! My Player Collections:

http://sami-salo.webs.com