Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Buster Posey Game Used Bat Question

I found this game used Posey LVS C243 bat and authentication letter listed on ebay. Can anyone substantiate the lack of date stamping on the knob? I have seen another Posey C243 bat listed in an AmericanMemorabilia.com auction with no visible date stamping and 28 handwritten on the knob, but there was no noted third party authentication. I have not been able to find any game used Posey C243 bats authenticated or photo matched without a date stamp on the knob.

Any info or photos would be appreciated. I am new to this site and very impressed with how helpful and knowledgeable everyone is. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: Buster Posey Game Used Bat Question

Authentication Letter with bat
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Simple it's from 2008, they didn't start the knob markings till 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
    Except I don't think he signed a contract until 2009... so they would've been block letter in 2008.
    - CINCINNATI REDS/JOEY VOTTO BATS
    Email: rdeversole@gmail.com Twitter: @dugoutrelics

Quote Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
    It's my understanding Posey signed his contract with LV in 2009. Would they have made his signature bat prior to him signing his contract?

Quote Originally Posted by rdeversole View Post
    Except I don't think he signed a contract until 2009... so they would've been block letter in 2008.
    I see, I did not know that.

But I want to say BMH may have said at one time some 2009 bats will be missing the date stamp because the machine broke or something, than they used just numbers. So may have been a gap when nothing was put on the knob? But I'm not 100%, I'm sure someone can find his post about it.

That bat has a shipping record of 6/8/2009, one his first pro model bats.

Quote Originally Posted by plinvestments View Post
    That bat has a shipping record of 6/8/2009, one his first pro model bats.
    Does that mean all of the bats from that shipping record were without a date stamp? Also without a date stamp how was the shipping record date verified?

Quote Originally Posted by CatcherSwag28 View Post
    Does that mean all of the bats from that shipping record were without a date stamp? Also without a date stamp how was the shipping record date verified?
    Yes. Specht confirmed with LS that they shipped 4 of these bats.

The cert that is shown is from a few months ago and spells out the reasoning at that time. A new cert was issued two or three weeks ago when additional information was obtained and and records were made available. The most recent cert (that I assume is with the bat) reads as follows:

"This letter certifies that professional model Hillerich & Bradsby baseball bats, with the following specifications, were manufactured for the personal professional use of Major League baseball player Buster Posey.

Label Period: 2008 - 2009

Model: C243 (cupped end)

Length: 34 inches

Weight: 31.5 ounces

Finish: Flame Burned w/o Lacquer

Shipping Date(s) within Label Period : 6/8/2009 (4 bats)

Notes: Buster Posey was originally drafted by the San Francisco Giants in the 2008 Major League Baseball Draft, and was signed by the Giants on 8/16/2008. Posey made his Major League debut on 9/11/2009. The bat is unbroken and shows several signs of game use, including pine tar application, hit marks, ball marks, and cleat marks. Posey’s name appears in script on the barrel of this bat, indicating that Posey had an endorsement contract with H & B at the time of the bat’s manufacture, which he had signed on 1/7/2009. 2009 was a transitional label year for H & B, and new labeling variations such as the appearance of the H & B 125 Anniversary Logo on the barrel and the placement of the manufacture date on the knob were inconsistent throughout the year. This bat appears in Posey’s order records dated 6/8/2009, during his time in the minor leagues. Thus, the use on this bat is likely to be from Posey’s time with the A San Jose Giants (through 7/12) or the AAA Fresno Grizzlies (7/13 to 9/1) in 2009, although it is also possible that the bat was carried forward to September, 2009 and used by Posey following his September call-up with the S.F. Giants. Regardless, it is not likely that there are any earlier Buster Posey bats in the memorabilia hobby today."

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com