Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Grey flannel auctions! What is up?!

I am new to collecting and Bought my first couple jerseys and put a lot of money and time into them. I researched tagging ect. and photo-matched items before I bought.
    I was Excited about Grey Flannel Auction and thought that they were really solid from their rep, but boy was I wrong.
    Their statement " The jersey was properly tagged (5 minutes work), was presented to us as game-used (0 minutes work) and in our opinion shows (2 minutes work?) appropriate use." Is everywhere!
    I started to do work on some jerseys and was like "can't they photo-match and explain where the jersey came from and why do I have to all the work?
    They......I hate to say this, but enjoy it too,.......Suck!
    I just don't understand people who have a Greg Maddux jersey and just sell it and all they say "it was game used and thats the story" and walk away! Are you kidding me!!!
    Grey Flannel........I ain't bidding.
    Thanks
    Greg

Re: Grey flannel auctions! What is up?!

They've started doing that in the last few auctions. Basically, it is a CYA thing. They take any blame off them if an item later doesn't pass the mustard by saying Hey, this is what the guy told us, and we believe him. They won't say it is 100% authentic, but offer their "opinion" only.

I know it it going that way of the, this guy with a HOF jersey walked mailed this in and said "it is real sell it" is stupid!
    The stories behind the items are gone. Weird and sad.
    I am sick if the clubhouse guy story also. My friend works for Apple and I don't say " Wow, where did you get those dozen iphones from?"
    You don't just walk put of work with your employer' s stuff.
    Thanks for posting.

Good thing you weren't planning on bidding because you are probably banned from bidding in their auctions now after your post. Someone there monitors the board, not sure how often, but many of us here have found that out after posting something that GFC did not like you are not welcome to bid in their auctions anymore.

I agree with you though that it is frustrating that many auction houses, not just GFC, fail to do simple research on items consigned to them. Good thing a site like this exists so other collectors can help catch some of these "oversights" and have been quite successful in getting items pulled or at least making folks aware of a questionable item if an auction house does nothing about it.

Quote Originally Posted by greg678 View Post
    I am new to collecting and Bought my first couple jerseys and put a lot of money and time into them. I researched tagging ect. and photo-matched items before I bought.
    I was Excited about Grey Flannel Auction and thought that they were really solid from their rep, but boy was I wrong.
    Their statement " The jersey was properly tagged (5 minutes work), was presented to us as game-used (0 minutes work) and in our opinion shows (2 minutes work?) appropriate use." Is everywhere!
    I started to do work on some jerseys and was like "can't they photo-match and explain where the jersey came from and why do I have to all the work?
    They......I hate to say this, but enjoy it too,.......Suck!
    I just don't understand people who have a Greg Maddux jersey and just sell it and all they say "it was game used and thats the story" and walk away! Are you kidding me!!!
    Grey Flannel........I ain't bidding.
    Thanks
    Greg

Onlyalbert thanks for reaching out. I do not get how they can get away with this. Are the auction houses becoming the "sell with us, we won't ask any questions and cover for you" places?
    Put it this way I have a Willie Mays jersey and I drop it off at Grey Flannel with no explanation of where I got it and Grey Flannel goes, hey great we do not want to know anything about the item!
    Who is bidding on this? Is this OK with them?
    Like to ask him, wouldn't you?

Is that Dewey as in Dwight Evans? He is my favorite player.
    Oh well I can't bid. I will only buy from teams or players selling their collections that I or they photo-match. Am I angry- no. Just disappointed, especially with all the money that is flying around.

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey2007 View Post
    Good thing you weren't planning on bidding because you are probably banned from bidding in their auctions now after your post. Someone there monitors the board, not sure how often, but many of us here have found that out after posting something that GFC did not like you are not welcome to bid in their auctions anymore. t.
    My question is how does GFA know who is behind a post on GUU? I mean as long as a poster doesn't have their name in their signature and such... am I missing something?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Wrigley2010 View Post
    My question is how does GFA know who is behind a post on GUU? I mean as long as a poster doesn't have their name in their signature and such... am I missing something?
    Everyone who is logged in can be looked up in the link above marked Hobby Network on the top of each page. You click on this link and look up a user id and their name shows up:

Name:  photo.PNG
Views: 814
Size:  85.0 KB

Never seen that! Thanks!

They have my grail listed in their upcoming auction... may need to investigate before bidding.