Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Sold to the Player

Quote Originally Posted by Anabolicollege17 View Post
    LOL I was at the game when he did this. I was saying to my girlfriend at the time (who hates the fact I collect sweaty jerseys) How lucky that guy is. I knew he must of knew you, as they never do that.

Awesome bro, just awesome!
    That's awesome you were there, whereabouts were you? I might of even talked to you on the way out cause so many people were askin me why he did that, even got a hug from some drunk guy from Pittsburgh haha.

Re: Sold to the Player

Quote Originally Posted by PAC View Post
    I know a couple people who've played professional sports, and they don't see it as an unusual or "cool" thing...it was just something they did in the past, and they've moved on. To them, being reunited with one of their game jerseys would be like you getting one of your old Burger King uniforms.

For some, it may not have been such a great period of their life (due to failed relationships, not living up to expectations, legal problems, etc.) and now they just want to be able to go on with their lives, without forever being remembered as that player who used to play that game.

Your words ring completely true. I can relate the story of a player who played many years in MLB and after his baseball career was over, got involved in real estate development and lost every dime he made in his MLB career. He was flat broke. Then, his wife divorced him, leaving him with 3 young kids. He sold off every award, world series ring and personal trophy, jersey, bat, and everything else he had accumulated and had absolutely no interest in retaining anything material that connected him to the game. Very sad story.

Banned

Exclamation Re: Sold to the Player

I once sold a Brewers GU jersey worn by Bob Scanlan to Scanlan himself, as he claimed the team wouldn't let him keep anything (though they had no problem releasing it to fans).

I also sold a game-issued John Verhoeven White So home jersey to Verhoeven when he was with the Twins. The jersey was made for his use, but the So let him go before he had a chance to wear it.

Dave Miedema