Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Minor league authenticating

Just saw this ball on Milbauctions.com. Pretty cool to see some MLB authentication starting to trickle into the minors. Can't wait to see what else is on the way.

"Authenticated Game Used Baseball from the game on 4-21-13 pitched by Andre Rienzo (Charlotte Knights) to Sean Kazman (Gwinnett Braves), bottom 2nd, fouled back to screen Hologram EK384200."

http://www.milbauctions.com/auctiond...ctionnbr=10691
    Always looking for anything John Flaherty, Drew Storen and Marcell Ozuna game used.
    jaeger_danny@yahoo.com

Re: Minor league authenticating

A couple who're friends of mine said they spoke to an authenticator at a Charlotte Knights' home game a year or two ago. They said he identified items he wanted, probably concentrating on future prospects, and sat behind third base. However, I could not see anybody that looked like an authenticator on my subsequent occasional trips to the Knights' games.

The hologram and the other holograms in its number sequence gives this ball as from the "Freddie Freeman rehab game." That apparently explains why this game was singled out. But any info anyone may have on minor-league authenticating would be of interest.

Why doesn't it surprise me the Braves are involved in this? Light years ahead of some other teams (Tigers et alia withstanding).

Frankly, I don't see the minor league clubs having the resources to institute such a program... Especially considering the minimal value of the typical jerseys, bats and balls used by minor league players. The exceptions are of course memorabilia related to hot prospects and MLB star rehab players.

The economics just don't seem to work otherwise.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Anthony Nunez
    Historian, USFL Houston Gamblers
    www.Houston-Gamblers.com

The Rangers have had a significant authentication program that's been among the best for several years, with sales of the g-u items at their stadium. The Braves seem to have gotten ideas from them. But I haven't seen the Rangers do any minor-league items.