Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Had my 1st bat stolen from USPS

Today is a bad day. For the 1st time in my young bat collecting career, I have had a bat stolen form me. Today I received an empty tube for a 2004 Doug Mientkiewicz bat, but the COA was still inside. Stamps on the box say it was received UNSEALED but I'm not sure when that was stamped on there. The bat came from Minnesota to California. Trying to get USPS on the phone hasn't proved very easy. The sender also did NOT insure the bat. Any suggestions? Has anyone ever lost a bat & had them find it? Anyone ever gotten JUST the tube delivered?!?!

Re: Had my 1st bat stolen from USPS

I used to play of lot of competitive softball and there were message boards for softball players to trade and sell bats. The average softball bat was $300.

Read about too many stories about empty bat tubes. Either the seller was duping the buyer, or the shipper got a hold of the bat. I"ve seen where pipes replaced the bats as well....sad but true.

If the buyer didn't pay for insurance, that he was SOL. The seller did his part and sent the bat...he would have proof he sent the bat. What happened inbetween would fall on the shipper, and in most cases, nothing came about it.

Hope you receive better news and a better outcome than I'm telling you.

-Desi

I actually have to disagree, I feel as though it is the seller's responsibility to insure the bat and make sure it gets to the buyer. Granted the buyer should pay for the insurance which is why I include it in my shipping quote and always insure anything I sell. Just my .02
    Ricardo Montoya

ri.montoya at yahoo dot com

Banned

I have a mantra that "anything of value being delivered in a way other than personally by myself, must be insured".

How did you pay for it? If you used paypal you should be covered with an 'item not as described' case. If you used a credit card you could possibly file a chargeback. If you paid by any other method you might be out of luck.

Have you contacted the seller and asked them to start an investigation? How they sent it?

I feel terrible for you and hope that you can find a solution.

i just had 2 bats shipped to me by usps also and they came in a usps priority shipping (long) box. they left the box outside my door. both ends had tape but on one end it was completely open, i could see the bats. the usps delivery person clearly looked to see what was inside(gordon beckham, alex rios bats). no way they could have been shipped that way by the seller and also not fallen out. luckily the person didnt take them but its ridiculous. also had a very fishy situation with a stanton auto card i was supposed to get, it simply had to be dropped off in the mail box and when i looked at the tracking it said notice left. there was never a notice and no need for a notice to be left. usps didnt know what happend to the card and i never got it

Hate to say it but what to you expect from government workers. It's sad but there are some employees with no morals and they don't care. I'm in no way saying everyone with USPS is that way but a few bad apple spoils it for the rest of them.

Thanks for the input guys. I paid through PayPal so I will file a claim. The seller is communicating very well but all he can do is swear that he sent it. I'm going to go to my post office tomorrow to speak to someone. Such a bummer.

Speaking of USPS I have noticed that the Chicago hub seems to be where it all goes south.

I have shipped a few things through Chicago and it gets scanned out for delivery then that is it. Next day I check tracking it says delivery status not updated. The items never got marked delivered.

i had $2500 in motorcyce parts and camera gear taken out of the box. they sent the postage back said i can get a refund for that. but the USPS dont relly help. unless you can find someone who is reselling it.

The seller should have a reciept with the weight marked on it. If they can send you a copy with the full weight marked on it, you know it was USPS that took it. It's not like a bat would fall out and not be noticed.