Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is Pujols Worth It?

Do you think $225.00-$300.00 a baseball is worth it for his sig on a baseball? How about $900.00 a bat? I ask this because I would have loved to own some Pujols memorabilia at one time, but after finding out what a joke his pricing was I decided to boycott B.S. players like him. I doubt a man making well over a 100 million in 10 years cares about the Foundation he started if he charges $900.00 a bat for his signature. The bat is worth a $120.00 tops. Do the math. I understand it is for a charity but that doesn't mean he can rape the general public for his cause. He is what is wrong with baseball today. The general American public cannot even come close to owning a piece of his memorabilia. I ask you does this "man" deserve as much credit he is getting for his signature?

Re: Is Pujols Worth It?

Mr. Scrooge,

Hmmm...charge the people who can afford to pay the high prices and give it back to the needy?! Most of the general public cannot afford the items that collectors buy and would even laugh at spending $120 on an autographed bat.

Happy Holidays!

Bob Cratchit

I'd personally just wait. Remember the Adrian Beltre craze? The Derrek Lee craze? The Chris Shelton craze? They're stuff all eventually went down

Great point Kyle. Sell it while it's hot in my opinion. Hey, here is an idea charge significantly less for your signature and raise a ton more cash for your cause because the general public and collector will then be able to afford the items. Just a thought.

You're comparing Pujols to Beltre, Lee....and Chris Shelton? THE Chris Shelton? He had one good month while Beltre and Lee each had one great year. Dozens of average players have had one or two above-average seasons. Think Vinny Castilla, Jose Lima and Javy Lopez. Pujols hasn't stopped being great since he arrived in 2001. You guys may not like the prices but there's no chance his stuff's going down any time soon. I don't pursue Pujols items, but if I did I wouldn't have a problem with the prices. He's the real thing and because of that you're gonna pay. I also disagree with the fact that his stuff would be priced significantly higher if he was a Yankee. I don't recall seeing many advertisements offering pre-orders of Pujols g/u and signed stuff.
    "The knowledge that this guy has in his head, some of you would never be able to comprehend."

Quote Originally Posted by skipcareyisfat View Post
    You're comparing Pujols to Beltre, Lee....and Chris Shelton? THE Chris Shelton? He had one good month while Beltre and Lee each had one great year. Dozens of average players have had one or two above-average seasons. Think Vinny Castilla, Jose Lima and Javy Lopez. Pujols hasn't stopped being great since he arrived in 2001. You guys may not like the prices but there's no chance his stuff's going down any time soon. I don't pursue Pujols items, but if I did I wouldn't have a problem with the prices. He's the real thing and because of that you're gonna pay. I also disagree with the fact that his stuff would be priced significantly higher if he was a Yankee. I don't recall seeing many advertisements offering pre-orders of Pujols g/u and signed stuff.
    What I meant by listing those players is that even though they played good for a certain amount of time, their stuff eventually came down. Even Chris Shelton, I remember back in April when his autographs were going for $100+, now they're at $5. But you're right though about Pujols not stopping. He may never stop playing good and his autographs will most likely not go down in price.

I am sure that his market will cool just like McGwire's did. After a guy retires and is not seen in the public spectacle their stuff cools down considerably unless they die. Pujols's prices are super inflated by collectors and his Charity foundation. It is admirable to have a foundation that gives to a worthy cause. Why can't these megastars with huge contracts take 10% of their earnings and give it to their cause? Instead they would rather rape the public and charge $300.00 a ball, $900.00 a bat, and never be able to acquire a jersey (what's up with that nonsense). Ask anyone behind the scenes how cool of a guy he is about signing a signature for the casual fan. I would love to hear your responses if you have had the opportunity to meet Albert.

Mphcollectibles,

I understand your frustration with the prices being high. What I don't understand is how you keep saying that Pujols is "Raping" the general public. You've said it not once, but twice. Please enlighten me.

Nate

Nate,

I guess the word I used is a bit harsh. I apologize. What I meant to say is overcharge.

Hello. I do agree about Pujols 100%. He is a great player, probably the best, but he is a huge jerk. I have met him on several occasions and he always acts the same. He hates to sign, talk or even wave to fans. He is even mad at the annual STL Winter Warm up where fans pay $150 last yr for his autograph on a ball or flat only.

I love to watch Albert and am the biggest cards fan, but fact is he is a jerk.
    I am somewhat surprised about Rolens asking price. He is one of the most down to earth guys/stars in MLB. He will joke around and sign for fans most times. Perhaps he just didnt want to do the signing thing.

Again I ask, where did you here this rumor about the 2 guys asking prices to Tri Star?

Thanks
    Jason
    ripken8@bellsouth.net