Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Building a dot com website to display your collection - how many of y'all have done this?

Hey guys,

I'm wanting some advice on building a dot com website to display my Titans collection - I'm looking for several things to get a domain name and I'm not sure how realistic it is or what the prices are but here's what I'm wanting:

1. Something relatively cost-effective (obviously I don't want to break the bank but I want to use something that doesn't suck either

2. A website that's fairly easy to build through a host (a good friend uses wordpress.org and she swears by it but I'd like to get some other opinions as well)

3. Something that, after it's built, navigates fairly easily and doesn't look like crap.

4. Something that has ample amount of storage for pictures etc. I don't want a million pages on my site but I want to branch off into galleries.

Again, any help would be MUCH appreciated because, while looking at wordpress, I feel like my dog trying to read quantum physics...

Re: Building a dot com website to display your collection - how many of y'all have done this?

I just used a template at Webs. Pretty basic, but it's better looking than the old Geocities page I had. Maybe I'll try a different layout at some point.
    Domain name, privacy protection, ad-free fee might add up to about $50/year.

Re: Building a dot com website to display your collection - how many of y'all have done this?

Quote Originally Posted by otismalibu View Post
    I just used a template at Webs. Pretty basic, but it's better looking than the old Geocities page I had. Maybe I'll try a different layout at some point.
    Domain name, privacy protection, ad-free fee might add up to about $50/year.
    Awesome - does it let you link to other pages if I wanted to, say, have a basic front page and then link to different aspects of my collection (i.e. a page for jerseys, page for gloves, etc)?

Yeah, that's how I have my home page. All the pages are listed on the left and that list is visible regardless of what section you're in.
    I've used 9MB of my 200MB of web storage.

Yeah, that's how I have my home page. All the pages are listed on the left and that list is visible regardless of what section you're in.
    I've used 9MB of my 200MB of web storage.
    Whoa...dude your website looks awesome!

So I'm curious, 1. how easy is it to do all this for someone who is an html dummy? and 2. what do you pay (if you don't mind me asking) per year so I can kinda know what I'm getting (a really good quality site that works and looks good) for x price?

Didn't use any HTML on this site. It's just adding photos and text boxes. Ever use the old programs for making greeting cards on your computer? Similar to that. Add photo, drag corner to get the size you want. Add text box, adjust size/font.

I originally had my domain name with GoDaddy and then was just using a redirect to my Webs address. That may have been a bit cheaper, but I think I'm right around $50 a year, now. I think it's cheaper the first year you sign up. And if you don't mind ads on your page, you don't need to pay for ad-free.

There may be other cheaper and/or better sites to use. If you use Webs, I would recommend not editing in Chrome. Seems to be some glitches, so I used Firefox.

At the same time you were checking out my site, someone in Provo, UT spent 4 mins and 19 seconds checking out 7 different pages. You get that info too

Didn't use any HTML on this site. It's just adding photos and text boxes. Ever use the old programs for making greeting cards on your computer? Similar to that. Add photo, drag corner to get the size you want. Add text box, adjust size/font.

I originally had my domain name with GoDaddy and then was just using a redirect to my Webs address. That may have been a bit cheaper, but I think I'm right around $50 a year, now. I think it's cheaper the first year you sign up. And if you don't mind ads on your page, you don't need to pay for ad-free.

There may be other cheaper and/or better sites to use. If you use Webs, I would recommend not editing in Chrome. Seems to be some glitches, so I used Firefox.

At the same time you were checking out my site, someone in Provo, UT spent 4 mins and 19 seconds checking out 7 different pages. You get that info too
    Hmm...so would editing in regular google be good (you mean google chrome I assume lol)? I do have Mozilla Firefox and could use it. $50 a year isn't bad at all. Extremely manageable. I'm definitely gonna take a look at it and try to figure out what I'm doing.

That's really cool you get info like that - makes you wonder sometimes ha ha

Yeah, Google Chrome didn't always work for editing, so I use Firefox.

Can't recall which member it is, but he has a list of collector sites on his website. Find that and you can see a variety of styles.

I really don't think Wordpress is that bad, once you get used to it. I built my website, http://www.bagwellgameused.com using it.
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

Banned

I used wix.com which is very easy, many templates and free. You can pay to have the domain changed.