Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pink bats for mother's day (breast cancer), no blue bats for father's day (prostate cancer)?

I see blue wristbands and the ribbon but that's it, where are the blue bats, cleats etc? Where is the same charity outreach for prostate cancer in terms of game used gear in major league baseball?

Other than skin cancer, prostate cancer is the most common cancer in American men. The American Cancer Society’s estimates for prostate cancer in the United States for 2013 are:
    • About 238,590 new cases of prostate cancer will be diagnosed
    • About 29,720 men will die of prostate cancer
    About 1 man in 6 will be diagnosed with prostate cancer during his lifetime.
    Prostate cancer occurs mainly in older men. Nearly two thirds are diagnosed in men aged 65 or older, and it is rare before age 40. The average age at the time of diagnosis is about 67.

Prostate cancer is the second leading cause of cancer death in American men, behind only lung cancer. About 1 man in 36 will die of prostate cancer.
    Prostate cancer can be a serious disease, but most men diagnosed with prostate cancer do not die from it. In fact, more than 2.5 million men in the United States who have been diagnosed with prostate cancer at some point are still alive today.

Re: Pink bats for mother's day (breast cancer), no blue bats for father's day (prostate cancer)?

Great post! Totally agreed. I think they donate money for each homer that is hit this weekend if I'm not mistaken, but blue bats would be sweet.

Re: Pink bats for mother's day (breast cancer), no blue bats for father's day (prostate cancer)?

Braves worn a small ribbon on their jerseys last years Father's Day
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Bieksallent! My Player Collections:

http://sami-salo.webs.com

I totally agree with you. They should have blue game used bats. Why not?? All the money would go for a great cause!
    Michael T. Neville

My collection of bats,jersey's,ball's,etc.
    http://www.freewebs.com/negleypirate/

I collect game used stuff of Pittsburgh Pirates,Penguins,Steelers and Michael Jordan cards....

mtneville@att.net

4neville4@gmail.com

Guys,

Do a search on this topic... there s a thread from either last yr or the year before.

Nick
    Looking for ...
    Any Game Used Mets jerseys from 1986 and 1987
    Any Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Lee Mazzilli and John Olerud Mets items
    Email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com

it's all about money man!

I agree that they should do as much as they do for Mother's Day. I also realize that it is probably more marketable with all the pink game items. The breast cancer awareness brings a different audience in with women from a sport that is mainly geared toward a male audience. It seems the NFL has caught on to this over the past few years and are making a lot of things pink during October since that is breast cancer awareness month. I am sure they are making a killing of these items. I did notice that there was a blue ribbon on the players jerseys today. Maybe MLB should devote a week during each month toward each cause. A week for breast cancer during the week leading into mothers day and the same for fathers day

Quote Originally Posted by colrise View Post
    I agree that they should do as much as they do for Mother's Day. I also realize that it is probably more marketable with all the pink game items. The breast cancer awareness brings a different audience in with women from a sport that is mainly geared toward a male audience.
    +1.

This is a very good point and one to keep in mind.
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Quote Originally Posted by bgold View Post
    I see blue wristbands and the ribbon but that's it, where are the blue bats, cleats etc? Where is the same charity outreach for prostate cancer in terms of game used gear in major league baseball?

Other than skin cancer, prostate cancer is the most common cancer in American men. The American Cancer Society’s estimates for prostate cancer in the United States for 2013 are:
    • About 238,590 new cases of prostate cancer will be diagnosed
    • About 29,720 men will die of prostate cancer
    About 1 man in 6 will be diagnosed with prostate cancer during his lifetime.
    Prostate cancer occurs mainly in older men. Nearly two thirds are diagnosed in men aged 65 or older, and it is rare before age 40. The average age at the time of diagnosis is about 67.

Prostate cancer is the second leading cause of cancer death in American men, behind only lung cancer. About 1 man in 36 will die of prostate cancer.
    Prostate cancer can be a serious disease, but most men diagnosed with prostate cancer do not die from it. In fact, more than 2.5 million men in the United States who have been diagnosed with prostate cancer at some point are still alive today.

You seem to be passionate about this, why don't you try to do something about it? It'll never happen unless someone pushes the issue.