Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Banned

Re: Greed in this hobby

Quote Originally Posted by ctguy212003 View Post
    If you want the item that bad pay the inflated price. Or do you treasure your money collection just as much?? Can't have your cake and eat it to. We're a capitalism type society so if someone can make a sound investment then more power to them. Some times over paying and holding will still bring value years later
    You're missing the point - I don't want the items. I just see the type of practices from the basketball card 'hobby' coming into this one, and don't like it. Yet you all seem fine with it.

Quote Originally Posted by hairyangryfella View Post
    You're missing the point - I don't want the items. I just see the type of practices from the basketball card 'hobby' coming into this one, and don't like it. Yet you all seem fine with it.
    And in the end you can do nothing about it but stomp your feet online.

This is kind of the same boat as this topic, As an NBA Collector, the only thing that frustrates me is the chance of ever winning anything special like a Finals Jersey or an All Star Jersey is basically nil because guys like JTNBAfan or now this new guy Stageleft have what it seems no real max on how high they are willing to go on items. The prices for the NBA Finals Auctions were insane..$2 grand for an issued Jarvis Vernado Jersey??? 6 grand for Mario Chalmers?? You simply cannot outbid these guys ever. Now at the same time, who am I to tell them how they can spend their money?? I think i've read here that JTNBAFan is an actual real collector who really loves the NBA and this hobby so honestly good for him that he's got the resources to grab whatever he wants. Who's to say if I was in that position I wouldn't do the same? Now I do question why he needs to buy every single superstar jersey (especially like the preseason gamers a few months ago..he couldn't let THAT Lebron go??? There were no special patches or anything..regular preseason gamer that they wore in China) but overall it is what it is..I'm sure MLB or NFL have those guys as well.

I know if I had won that 600 million powerball, that I'd be buying EVERY high price baseball jersey or bat. Probably even try to buy the hall of fame.

Quote Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
    I know if I had won that 600 million powerball, that I'd be buying EVERY high price baseball jersey or bat. Probably even try to buy the hall of fame.
    +1

I would purchase the Marlins and keep all the visiting team equipment when they drop by!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by marino13 View Post
    +1

I would purchase the Marlins and keep all the visiting team equipment when they drop by!
    The way I see it, can't afford an item? There are two (2) options - work a little harder to make more cash or simply prioritize you spending. As for the Powerball thing, I'd buy an Aston Martin and a membership into Netjets. The NetJet thing would enable me to fly around the world with the Hollywood liberal elites. I would really like to hang out around the French Riviera with Streisand and Spielberg.

Jim

Here is my take. I am a collector. I love to collect. There are 2 sides to this hobby. A collector, and a seller. We collect, they SELL to make MONEY. If I was a seller, and had a hot item I got for cheap, and knew I could triple my money, by all means I'll list it for triple my cost to make money. People who want the item, will buy if they want it, or not buy it. Supply and demand. You're confusing the SELLING part to make money as part of the hobby.

As I see it, buyers who want to make a profit can only go so high. If they really want to make a profit, they need to list the item at a "saleable" price. So such a buyer won't outbid a true collector ready to pay the price for a rare item. Simple rule of supply and demand.

Maybe you should go find some homeless and hungry children and tell them your terrible plight. I think you'd be surprised at who they call greedy.

If you're "big on morality", maybe you should do some more research as to what that means... Because this is just jealousy and whining.
    Thanks,
    Jimmy

Email:
    jamesbrandt24 at yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by toddhead View Post
    Ugh... I had a bad feeling about this post just by reading the title. If someone has worked hard enough to have the resources to purchase the things he wants then why should anyone begrudge that person?
    So everybody who has money works hard for it? Last time I checked, plenty of people end up wealthy through inheritance. A lot of our financial state is due to pure luck, plain and simple.

Also, I find it disgusting the way people have jumped all over the OP. It's his opinion, and he has a right to it. Without being accused of being an Occupier. He simply shared his thoughts.
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408