Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Banned

Greed in this hobby

I have a fairly low opinion of people like jtnbafan - those who don't give anybody else a chance to pick up something they may truly love, just because they can afford any amount of money on an item.

I have just discovered a seller on ebay called zeppelin780 - as I recognized a whole bunch of his items from the recent Grey Flannel and Juliens Elgin Baylor auctions.

Looks like this guy just bought a bunch of stuff to list on ebay at inflated prices - eg this Amare jersey won for $389 http://catalog.greyflannelauctions.c...ed-Home-Jersey

listed for $1650
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-04-Amar...item51aebfc1e5

And many other examples.

Is the time of the regular fan buying an item they like gone because it's now the time of other people making money?

Guess I'm lucky to own what I do, because in the current state of affairs it looks like I wouldn't have a chance.

Is this ruining the hobby, or is it just someone being clever and seeing an opportunity to possibly make some money?

Re: Greed in this hobby

Interesting opinion.....I find that far worst than the GREED in the hobby is the JEALOUSY.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mulligans View Post
    Interesting opinion.....I find that far worst than the GREED in the hobby is the JEALOUSY.
    If you're trying to have a go at me, what exactly am I jealous of? I'd love a Lebron jersey but I could never afford it. But what about people like Chris who really want a Chalmers jersey but some guy gets it no matter what the price, as well as every single other jersey....
    I had zero interest in that Amare, I couldn't tell if it were legit or not. Yet I'm "jealous" that this guy bought it and is listing it for a big markup? Ok.....

Ugh... I had a bad feeling about this post just by reading the title. If someone has worked hard enough to have the resources to purchase the things he wants then why should anyone begrudge that person?

I agree with Mulligans on this one... jealousy seems to be the dominate force in this hobby.

Banned

Fine, so buying a whole bunch of items for the sole purpose of making a profit on them is accepted on this "collector's" forum... even if people who might have actually wanted them for their collection weren't able to get them because of this person...

I guess if someone wanted that Amare jersey they could have just outbid the seller in the original auction......
    or
    Make an offer less than what he is asking.

There is no guarantee that the seller will get what he is asking. None of our business what he paid for it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hairyangryfella View Post
    Fine, so buying a whole bunch of items for the sole purpose of making a profit on them is accepted on this "collector's" forum... even if people who might have actually wanted them for their collection weren't able to get them because of this person...
    So what's your point? Do you want to "occupy" the hobby and this forum?

Just an opinion.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tunis View Post
    I guess if someone wanted that Amare jersey they could have just outbid the seller in the original auction......
    or
    Make an offer less than what he is asking.

There is no guarantee that the seller will get what he is asking. None of our business what he paid for it.
    That Amare is just one example - but he won so many items from each of the auctions, now listed on ebay, it just seems like pure greed to me. And from memory I once tried to negotiate for a card that this guy had listed on ebay and he wouldn't go anywhere near a reasonable offer...

I'm very big on morals, and I just don't like this. I'm also relatively new to the hobby though so maybe there isn't any room for them with game used items...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cohibasmoker View Post
    So what's your point? Do you want to "occupy" the hobby and this forum?

Just an opinion.
    I don't understand what this means.

I was speaking out against something that seemed kind of against the spirit of game used collecting - buying up large amounts of items and trying to flip them for profit at high prices, outbidding somebody who may have really wanted one but couldn't afford it on the original auction because of this person's attempts to profit.

I see it so much with cards I wanted to know how this hobby felt about it. Looks like you guys don't give a damn. So be it.

Quote Originally Posted by hairyangryfella View Post
    I don't understand what this means.

I was speaking out against something that seemed kind of against the spirit of game used collecting - buying up large amounts of items and trying to flip them for profit at high prices, outbidding somebody who may have really wanted one but couldn't afford it on the original auction because of this person's attempts to profit.

I see it so much with cards I wanted to know how this hobby felt about it. Looks like you guys don't give a damn. So be it.
    If you want the item that bad pay the inflated price. Or do you treasure your money collection just as much?? Can't have your cake and eat it to. We're a capitalism type society so if someone can make a sound investment then more power to them. Some times over paying and holding will still bring value years later