Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

MacGregor Brooklyn Dodgers cap

My friend has a MacGregor Brooklyn Dodgers cap with a blue button. Does anybody know if it might have been worn on field? I've seen Spauling, Rawlings and McAuliffe on field caps but never MacGregor.

Re: MacGregor Brooklyn Dodgers cap

Quote Originally Posted by gotagreatdog View Post
    My friend has a MacGregor Brooklyn Dodgers cap with a blue button. Does anybody know if it might have been worn on field? I've seen Spauling, Rawlings and McAuliffe on field caps but never MacGregor.
    I can tell you if you're able to post pictures. There were two variations of the MacGregor Goldsmith caps that were worn by the Dodgers on field up to about 1947/48.

Here's some pics, please let me know - thanks!

Name:  image1_th.jpeg
Views: 691
Size:  109.7 KB

Name:  image2_th.jpeg
Views: 420
Size:  107.1 KB

Name:  image4_th.jpeg
Views: 425
Size:  82.9 KB

And, that blue button has me stumped! I've only seen white buttons on Dodgers caps.

Quote Originally Posted by gotagreatdog View Post
    And, that blue button has me stumped! I've only seen white buttons on Dodgers caps.
    Thanks for the pictures. Don't worry about the blue button, there were several Dodgers caps that had this and from different manufacturers.

The cap looks legitimate at first sight but I'll have to check my database again tomorrow.

I'm a bit doubtful though whether it was game issued/worn, as I've seen several MacGregor Goldsmith hats that featured chainstitched player names on the leather sweatband.

Two things I'd like to know:

Is there any number/name anywhere on the hat?

Can you post a close up image of the logo, so that the stitching can be seen (if possible from in- and outside)?

Banned

Looks like a Professional cap to me. Two things that stand out for me - the direct embroidery of the "B" and the leather sweatband. I think the stamping in the cap dates the cap circa 1945-52. I seem to remember that non-professional and/or retail caps during this era would have the team logo patches sewn onto the caps while professional caps had direct embroidery? Also, wouldn't a leather sweatband be unusual for a retail cap?

Nice cap.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cohibasmoker View Post
    Looks like a Professional cap to me. Two things that stand out for me - the direct embroidery of the "B" and the leather sweatband. I think the stamping in the cap dates the cap circa 1945-52. I seem to remember that non-professional and/or retail caps during this era would have the team logo patches sewn onto the caps while professional caps had direct embroidery? Also, wouldn't a leather sweatband be unusual for a retail cap?

Nice cap.
    Forgot to say, the cap was made to a specific size as opposed to an adjustable and/or small, medium or large sized cap.

Thanks for the info. Here's a closeup of the logo. One of the previous pics I posted has a good view of the logo from the inside.Name:  image3_th.jpeg
Views: 410
Size:  76.8 KB

To answer the question about any name or number, no, there aren't any on the cap.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cohibasmoker View Post

Nice cap.
    Below are a couple of examples of the types of caps I was referencing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1950-S-NEW-YORK-YANKEES-YOUTH-BASEBALL-CAP-/171067495428?pt=Vintage_Sports_Memorabilia&hash=it em27d46ad404

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1960s-Era-Washington-Senators-Souvenir-Baseball-Cap-/121136995065?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item1c3453daf9