Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Goldin Auctions Larkin Glove

Despite the auction catalog stating that the Barry Larkin glove is game used, it is not a game used glove. It is a commemorative glove. I could not locate a photo of a similar color glove being used by Larkin.

To be fair to Goldin Auctions, the website has a link to the COA, which states no photos of Larkin using this glove could be found as well. John Taube and his group, once again, showed their trustworthiness in the grading process!!

Re: Goldin Auctions Larkin Glove

Quote Originally Posted by SSB15 View Post
    Despite the auction catalog stating that the Barry Larkin glove is game used, it is not a game used glove. It is a commemorative glove. I could not locate a photo of a similar color glove being used by Larkin.

To be fair to Goldin Auctions, the website has a link to the COA, which states no photos of Larkin using this glove could be found as well. John Taube and his group, once again, showed their trustworthiness in the grading process!!
    Hey Guys,

I know Ken is out with his family this evening. However, I did email him to let him know there was a question about the glove on the forum. He said that, as soon as he has the opportunity, he will review the post and respond.

Thanks to everyone for their patience and, again, Ken will get to it as soon as he is able to do so.

-Chris
    Christopher Cavalier
    Consignment Director - Heritage Auctions

Hello Scott
    I will say since you have my email and have emailed me questions in the past to help you with your bidding decisions, I am surprised and disappointed you did not email me this information and allow me to investigate it without a post. I did believe that was the proper protocol here, especially when someone such as myself is such an active , responsive and supportive member of GUU and all its members.

With that being said, I will forward this information to Taube and Esken to review. I think they were well aware of the fact this glove was commemorative but As I have learned from my direct experience dealing with players, that it does not always mean it was not used. It has been my DIRECT EXPERIENCE from dealing with players such as Cal Ripken jr, Ken Griffey Jr and Barry Bonds that I have provided them in the past with equipment that was used in the game for my marketing purposes, and it was game used/game worn, despite not being their 'norm'.
    In this case, I am not the glove expert, but Esken is. I will refer this back to them, and if the glove is in any way different then the letter they wrote and that we posted on the site, it will be pulled. We post every LOA with the item so that each perspective bidder can read exactly what they state. I am also going to take the extra step of contacting Larkin's agent, who I know, and see if there was an occasion where a glove like this would have been used by Barry.

Quote Originally Posted by SSB15 View Post

Ken:

Thank you for your email and concern. My problem with the catalog description is that it is listed as a game used glove and is probably not one. I understand that mistakes are made on occasion, which is why I mentioned that the COA, which is accessible on line mentions that the glove probably is not game used. I think that collectors need this knowledge. If Larkin's agent has a photo of him using the glove in a game, then I will bid on the glove myself. However, agents and players do not have the best memories on what equipment was used during a game or not used.

I had a long conversation with Ken Goldin about the glove. He is very concerned about the integrity of his auctions. According to Ken, a mistake was made when the copy writer wrote a description about the glove, which was based on preliminary information that it was a game used glove. When the authentication came back, it stated that there were no photo matches of the glove being used by Larkin in a game. For some reason the copy writer did not make the change in the printed catalog.

I would have to agree with Ken here. You shouldn't just try and call someone out publicly without first trying to settle any "dispute" by first contacting the other person.

Its OK. Scott and I had a good talk. I have edited the description, as well as contacted the bidders giving them the option of retracting their bids based on the PSA letter not reflecting what we were told (originally we were simply told 'its good' but then we have to wait a while for the exact details of the PSA letter, which came after the auction already opened and catalog was printed.)
    As long as we get it right, THAT is what is important, and I do appreciate direct emails on these subjects at ken@goldinauctions.com

Banned

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_f...hread.php?t=99

Too many people don't know about rule #16 - In instances where a forum member is identifying an item in the hobby they believe to have issues, the poster should clearly state their findings in the form of an opinion and provide adequate rationale for why they believe there is an issue. When possible, we recommend that the poster questioning an item attempt to contact the seller of the item and allow at least 24 hours for the seller to reply before posting. This will prevent postings that may be generated based on misunderstandings of an item. In addition, while this forum is designed to help educate collectors, we will not allow comments that accuse entities in the hobby of participating in any form of criminal wrong-doing. Any posts suggesting criminal wrong-doing should be brought to the attention of the moderators immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by sportsnbikes View Post
    I would have to agree with Ken here. You shouldn't just try and call someone out publicly without first trying to settle any "dispute" by first contacting the other person.
    Ken did the right thing by contacting the potential buyers about the mistake that I located. The purpose of this forum is to educate collectors about the hobby and potential issues, which is the purpose of my post.

However, I am amazed by sportsnbikes comments about my post. A review of his posts clearly shows he makes complaints about items being sold and 3rd party authenticators. It appears it is ok for him to complain about certain items, but not for others to point out potential issues to collectors.

Thumbs up Re: Goldin Auctions Larkin Glove

Bro honestly get a life. Ken went out of his way to research and change the description and contact all bidders. There is no other auction that would even do step one. He made good on everything and you still want to talk negative about him. Ken is the most honest auction owner I know plus he directly contacts us. Why don't you do is all a favor and stop the negativity. No one cares about your points and excuses. Everything is all fixed. Either buy the glove or be quiet. Your wasting valuable forum space with your childish rude and slandering comments.