Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Question on Baseball Signature Authentication

I have a large collection of signed baseballs from when I went to shows back in the 80's and was wondering if it would be worth getting them authenticated? It's a long list, but it includes Mantle, DiMaggio....stars from 50's 60s 70s & 80s.

Thanks

Re: Question on Baseball Signature Authentication

I don't trust any of those companies who do 3rd party authentication. I have had too many items obtained in person that they said weren't authentic. Maybe it'll be different with the older big name players but I have a real distaste for the 3rd party authenticators. After all, it is just an "opionion". I don't see how with the amount of volume they do that an "expert" is the one that looks at every single item.

Quote Originally Posted by Number13 View Post
    I have a large collection of signed baseballs from when I went to shows back in the 80's and was wondering if it would be worth getting them authenticated? It's a long list, but it includes Mantle, DiMaggio....stars from 50's 60s 70s & 80s.

Thanks
    Are you selling? If so, do you plan to sell individually or as a group? Will you be using ebay?

I abhor the authenticators myself. However, many buyers are sheep and want the lazy protection a JSA/PSA cert gives them.

I'd post the biggies on Net54, they'll let you know their opinions. I'd also consider throwing them up for sale there before ebay.

Ken

At this point, I am not selling. I am no where even close to even thinking about it. I was looking at authentication for insurance purposes. I too have a worry that I would send something in that I know 100% I went and got would be sent back to me as not authentic. For me, the value is in the chance to meet the players and actually shake their hand.

I went to the last Chicago National and got to get a signature I thought I would never get. I was able to meet and get a ball signed by Al Kaline, my childhood idol. This was the first time in probably 25 years that I went to a show and got a signature. Waiting in line with my wife to get his signature brought back a lot of great memories I have with my dad going to shows and meeting all the great ball players. I felt like I was 12 years old again waiting with so much anticipation. My wife said I was like a little kid that entire day. And when I finally got to meet Al and shake his hand, it was one of the greatest feelings I had had in a very long time.

Many of the balls that I have are of players that are no longer with us, and for me there is not a price anyone could throw out there to get me to hand over any of them. I know that sounds cliche, but I know in my heart that it is 100% true. The memories mean more to me than anything else.

If you are thinking solely for insurance purposes, most carriers will simply allow you to schedule these as a rider on your policy with a value attached to each ball...As far as what values to use, there are plenty of sources, but I'd use the SMR values posted by PSA in their monthly publication.

Then PLEASE don't waste your money getting hologams stuck on these.

Ken

Banned

I disagree with many who have previously posted, but I trust PSA/DNA and only PSA/DNA to certify autographed baseballs. Some of the other companies in this industry are trusted, but if you look at realized and completed prices on eBay you'll see a higher premium paid for items with PSA/DNA certification.

I buy quite a few uncertified baseballs on eBay myself, and funny thing is Ken aka earlywynnfan is one of the few people I see list baseballs uncertified and he gets good prices for them. Quite a reputation he has. Most other sellers do not get premiums for genuine balls as the public is getting smarter and smarted these days to fraud and misrepresentation.

Question:

Let's say I would send in one of my Mantle balls that I know is 100% legit, like every other ball I own, to PSA/DNA and pay their fee and they come back to me saying it is not real. Am I out my fee that I pay to them?

Quote Originally Posted by Number13 View Post
    Question:

Let's say I would send in one of my Mantle balls that I know is 100% legit, like every other ball I own, to PSA/DNA and pay their fee and they come back to me saying it is not real. Am I out my fee that I pay to them?
    yes, the fee was for the authentication process, which is what you get when they decided their opinion. Now, if they deem it inconclusive, you'll get a voucher to use later.

The issue that I see is that there are so many Mantle and Williams forgeries out there. If you're not selling them, I'd save the cash and just enjoy them.