Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unusual Mariano Rivera

There is a Mariano Rivera jersey ending Monday in the Steiner Auction which has a couple of interesting things to note.

Is there something unusual about the positioning of the numbers on this piece? I have been trying to find a photo of a Yankees shirt with numbers this low, but am having trouble. Can anyone help?
    Name:  mariano42.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  33.1 KB

The people handling the Steiner auctions say that despite the crispness of a tag, if it came from the Yankees as game used, then it is.

Please note the crispness of the tag on the Rivera
    Name:  marianotag.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  36.9 KB
    http://auction.steinersports.com/cgi...aunbr=76835940
    Eric
    Always looking for game used San Diego Chargers items...

Re: Unusual Mariano Rivera

What did Steiner say when you asked them about it?

Just kidding, Eric!

The person from the auction side of steiner said "if it came from the yankees as a game used jersey, then it's a game used jersey"

We have been over this a million times, Steiner has absolutly no clue as to what they sell !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They said it was worn before the All Star break; however, they don't have any more information than that. By the look of the year tag, it doesn't look like it had much wear. Those tags fade quickly!

You know the old saying----bid accordingly!

I agree with Eric that the numbering looks low on the back.

Not that you can come to a 100% conclusion with the signature & inscription "2006 Game Used", here's a pic of the front of the jersey.

Quote Originally Posted by JETEFAN View Post
    We have been over this a million times, Steiner has absolutly no clue as to what they sell !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I have to agree with George. It's a complete joke. It amazes me that there are still collectors who blindly and mindlessly buy Steiner items solely because they are from Steiner. I feel bad for them. Steiner doesn't know what they are selling and the collectors don't know what they are buying. What a nutty world. One of my favorite threads talked about how much better the Steiner-Yankees system is compared to how the MeiGray-Rangers system was. Funny stuff.

And, Andrew, I appreciate your posts, but as a hobby veteran and one of the smarter guys in the business, you must agree that the signature and inscription by themselves mean absolutely nothing.

Cheers,
    Reid
    Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

eric: it's a noticeable drop isn't it? here's how it looks in comparison to where the numbers would normally be placed:

it's such a noticeable anomaly that it's ripe for a photomatch. unfortunately, if you can't find one, then all you're left with is a strange anomaly.

reid: steiner or not, collectors seem to blindly and mindlessly buy a whole slew of items. at worst, buying based on steiner is better than buying based on some completely rubbish slogan like "the name means it's real" or "obtained from an impeccable source".
    at any rate, i once compared the steiner system with the meigray system and obviously concluded that although they both have exclusive team agreements, meigray is a far more accurate and reliable source due to their system. however, a good part of the steiner vs meigray comparison isn't very fair. unlike steiner, meigray's system wasn't implemented retroactively; they applied their system to items going forward. steiner on the other hand faced a completely different situation. the yankees dumped 20+ yrs worth of jerseys on them without any sort of records or documentation. meigray didn't have to deal with that. really, the only way to do it would be for an experienced collector to painstakingly go through every single item, one at a time, armed with a roster/trade reference, and go through each piece looking for previous numbers, patches, armbands and put each puzzle together. steiner doesn't have that sort of expertise. (i am curious what meigray would do if the rangers had dumped 20+ yrs worth of jerseys on them without records or documentation. would barry go through hundreds of pieces, one by one? i'd be willing to bet his error rate would increase in such a scenario. it's a different ballgame when you can devise a good system, put it into effect, and then sell only those jerseys that have gone through the system. that said, aside from dealing with old stock, i'd like to know if steiner has done anything to address these issues going forward with 2006+ jerseys. hologram stickers and a lack of unique, trackable id's aren't going to cut it.)
    it seems that steiner simply looks at the year tag and looks at a roster and tries to associate any name with that number. there's little analysis. there's no examining previous numbers, patches, or even game use. ordinarily, i wouldn't think this to be a big deal. i think if steiner had simply come out and said "we have a ton of jerseys from the last 20 yrs. no clue what any of it is so don't ask. each jersey is $150. go nuts everyone", then i don't think anyone would complain about these issues. however, i think collectors are frustrated with steiner for their lack of accuracy because of the prices steiner charges. i think people figure that if they're paying a premium price then they should get premium service. i have to agree. unfortunately, steiner decides to charge a premium price and then leaves it up to the buyer to do all the legwork.

as for the "if it came from the yankees as a game used jersey, then it's a game used jersey" comment, it's obviously rubbish. reminds me of when ami sold a dubious arod glove and when questioned about it moreno said "it came from arod. who am i to question arod?". it's a braindead response.
    however, if you don't have the expertise to really answer these questions, then it's the only kind of response you can give. it's the same sort of response ami has on every single issue; "lou says it's good". a useless reponse but when you don't have any expertise what else can you really say?

rudy.

Rudy-

I actually think it's slightly more complicated than you are saying. I think there are various divisions within Steiner who operate independently.

The folks who sell the steiner items are different from the ones who handle the auctions.

If you notice, at least with my experience, emailing Bob Malandro (from the sales side) can get you answers about patches, wear, tagging etc. It'll even get you different photos if you so require.

That doesn't seem to happen with the people who work in the auction side. I get the feeling that it's more of "it is what it is" with the auction people. The sales side seems more than willing to look at the item and get you whatever info you need before committing your cash-ola.

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by sportscentury View Post
    And, Andrew, I appreciate your posts, but as a hobby veteran and one of the smarter guys in the business, you must agree that the signature and inscription by themselves mean absolutely nothing.

Cheers,
    Reid
    Reid - Thanks for calling me one of the smarter guys in the business!!! Here was my quote--Not that you can come to a 100% conclusion with the signature & inscription "2006 Game Used", here's a pic of the front of the jersey.

I was showing that Mariano inscribed it as game used and provided the picture of his sig/inscription---it certainly is never 100% with the athlete's inscription as we have seen before.

I will tell you that I would buy this jersey before those Jeter & ARod "game used" on Mastronet with the Lampson COAs!!!!!!