Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Do you cycle your personal collection?

I've only been on the collecting side of cards and collecting memorabilia for about 18 months. For just about everything I've picked up with a fair amount of value (i.e., $500+), I've thought to myself that I'll keep it for the foreseeable future. However, I'm new so everything is still fresh. I am wondering what the chances are that I change my mind.

I am interested to hear from fellow collectors if you cycle items through your collection. Was/is the decision to sell to driven by the need to free up funds for a new purchase, a desire to let others enjoy the item, or something else? Is there a percentage of your collection you don't ever see yourself selling?

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Re: Do you cycle your personal collection?

I buy for my collection and my collection alone, never for resale and I've been doing it for years. I will even shell out more if it is a model
    Bat of a player I prefer of home run bat. I've stuck with it.

-Tony
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Always looking for ALEX AVILA, ALBERT PUJOLS, HOME RUN BATS, and any high end gamers from 90's-00's stars.

Tony Servitto
    My Email: servitto84@yahoo.com
    My Website: http://vitosbatsandmemorabilia.webs.com/

When I began collecting, about fifteen years ago, I tended to go overboard in some ways. (Now, of course, I go overboard in other ways.) When a player joined my team, I'd immediately go looking for anything - bats, jerseys, photos, bobbleheads, etc - from teams he'd been on previously, sometimes just to have something for the guy to sign if I happened to get close enough to ask. I've mostly stopped doing that, except for a select few players, and have been selling off some of those bats and jerseys - usually for a small fraction of what I paid for them - in the past couple of years. I may eventually get to the point where I will want to dispose of all the duplicate bats that I have, but I haven't gotten to that point, yet. I've still got the hoarding bug, I'm afraid.

There are a couple of reasons that apply to most folks, sooner or later.

1) Aging: Like me, when you approach birthday # 60 you're likely to need to get rid of some of the thousands of things you've accumulated over the years, just for space reasons; and some of your sports artifacts are likely to fall in that category. For the same reason, your acquisitions after age 60 may need to be smaller ( eg balls instead of bats.)

2) You find things that are better than what you got earlier, making those earlier items seem less valuable by comparison. For example, in 2006 I was thrilled to buy a 2003 g-u ball from a Rangers-Rays game. But when I bought a g-u ball from the 2011 ALDS between those same teams, the 2003 item seemed less interesting.

I currently collect football game-used items of University of Hawaii alumni. But I use to collect anything basketball. My basketball collection was more valuable with many items of hall of famers but I enjoy my football items because I've seen most of the players in person while attending the games. I've sold a bunch of my basketball jerseys but I still have a large collection of programs, other paper memorabilia, jerseys, and shoes. I am currently setting up a room to display a portion of my football collection. In fact I usually work on the room everyday after work. I'm close to 60 and I still intend to expand my collection.

I think my plan is to keep mostly everything, but if I see something I really want I might have to sacrifice. I think my "never gonna sell" items are my superstar Meigray basketball jerseys. Duncan, Durant, Melo, Kidd, Westbrook, Dirk, CP3, can't see myself ever wanting to get rid of those. I wanted a Dez Bryant Gamer, I sold my Pierce and Wade gamers to cover that. I can't have it all!