Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Ryan Braun Suspension, does it effect how you feel about collection him?

Quote Originally Posted by happyyoungster View Post
    Just for the record: I didn't do this story looking for sympathy. We all make investments that fall flat...I did it because my family and I are disappointed in a player we so highly regarded as authentic. Nothing more.

Lastly, I don't need to hear everyone's opinions about foolish spending, false hope, how I should have spent my $$$ on my kids instead, yada-yada-yada...
    I think most of us here are with you, Nick. Anyone who has more than a couple game-used pieces in their collection probably owns something that was worn by a player who was using some kind of questionable performance enhancer. Thankfully, this forum seems to have fewer haters than others I have visited.

Gotta love the internet!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Anthony Nunez
    Historian, USFL Houston Gamblers
    www.Houston-Gamblers.com

Lastly, I don't need to hear everyone's opinions about foolish spending, false hope, how I should have spent my $$$ on my kids instead, yada-yada-yada...
    For real? That's unreal that you're getting that. Surely not from anyone on here I hope. I'm sure most of those people have their own skeletons in their closet. I feel for you man.

This situation sucks but one positive is the Tigers were able to sign Prince because Braun was such a great liar!

J/K. There is absolutely NOTHING good about this situation. You look like you have a great family my man! Congrats!

Peace,

John

Quote Originally Posted by commando View Post
    I think most of us here are with you, Nick. Anyone who has more than a couple game-used pieces in their collection probably owns something that was worn by a player who was using some kind of questionable performance enhancer. Thankfully, this forum seems to have fewer haters than others I have visited.

Gotta love the internet!
    +1
    My Astros GU jersey collection consists of nothing but Steroid/HGH-heads and I love still love them. Biggio check, Bagwell check, Clemens CHECK, and Mr. "I only did HGH for 2 days" (yeah right) Pettitte. Add in that I would absolutely love a childhood favorite Big Mac in my collection!

If you aint cheatin, then you aint tryin

JLastly, I don't need to hear everyone's opinions about foolish spending, false hope, how I should have spent my $$$ on my kids instead, yada-yada-yada...
    I wouldn't take the nasty responses to heart Nick.... People and their opinions usually suck (especially online).

Banned

Nick I will be the first to sign a petition in regards to Braun personally writing you a check for 20,000$ the extra 5k for pain and suffering of course

Seriously though, Braun should see this and contact you. Its one step towards him becoming a decent human being.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hfd0035 View Post
    +1
    My Astros GU jersey collection consists of nothing but Steroid/HGH-heads and I love still love them. Biggio check, Bagwell check, Clemens CHECK, and Mr. "I only did HGH for 2 days" (yeah right) Pettitte. Add in that I would absolutely love a childhood favorite Big Mac in my collection!

If you aint cheatin, then you aint tryin
    Thank you for admitting that Biggio and Bags are steroid guys, I know a lot of people are in denial over those two.
    Alomar was probably the first guy who used and has been voted in. Gotta let them all in unless you tested positive after testing was implemented.

Quote Originally Posted by Nnunnari View Post
    Thank you for admitting that Biggio and Bags are steroid guys, I know a lot of people are in denial over those two.
    Alomar was probably the first guy who used and has been voted in. Gotta let them all in unless you tested positive after testing was implemented.

If former pitcher Tom House is to be believed, I serious doubt Roberto Alomar (if he did use) would've been the first, he claims when he played in the 60's and 70's that players "were doing steroids they wouldn't give to horses" ...http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sport...ds-house_x.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Nnunnari View Post
    While I don't have 100 percent hard evidence, if I had to make an educated guess, I would say that both Biggio and Bagwell used. And 80 percent of the guys who played during the steroid era. Ken Caminiti's death means that we will likely never know the answer about the latter.

But just suspicion, along with revelations about Bagwell's personal life, have led to the tanking of my collection's value. That's okay with me, as I am collecting Jeff's stuff for sentimental reasons. For better or worse, he was my childhood idol, and it still means a lot to me to have his game used items. I won't be selling, as I have long since stopped viewing him as a demigod.

I hope the Braun revelations bust the myth that guys have to be hulking to be users. Ryan Braun is not that big. Just because a player looks clean doesn't mean that he isn't getting an advantage. In many ways, the whole PED thing is just a race between the testers and the tested to see who can beat whom.

The other thing I wanted to comment on is Clara. I know it's a hard lesson to learn when one is that young, but most professional athletes are not heroes. Many of these guys are thrust into the limelight when they are in their early twenties. They are human, and they are fallible. Plenty of them make bad decisions, just like many of us do, when we are young. And even later.

I can only guess what it must be like to be in the position of a Ryan Braun. Or any other athlete, for that matter. Cameras are thrust at you, day after day. You are hounded for your signature everywhere. You have no private life. It's probably hard for these guys, who are so revered, to think they are anything but invincible. Or that their good names can be tarnished.

I'm not condoning cheating, but many of us would do the same thing, if it meant millions more for our families and a spot among baseball's immortals. Ryan Braun just got caught.
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

Just for the record: I didn't do this story looking for sympathy. We all make investments that fall flat...I did it because my family and I are disappointed in a player we so highly regarded as authentic. Nothing more.

Nick, glad you were able to talk to your daughter openly about PED abuse, a tough concept for a seven year old. You and your wife brought up your daughter correctly as she was disappointed in Braun herself based on her response to the reporter's questions. Her looking forward to the Packer collection taking its place just shows her resilience. Glad it worked out. "All in on the Packers!!!"
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Quote Originally Posted by joelsabi View Post
    Nick, glad you were able to talk to your daughter openly about PED abuse, a tough concept for a seven year old. You and your wife brought up your daughter correctly as she was disappointed in Braun herself based on her response to the reporter's questions. Her looking forward to the Packer collection taking its place just shows her resilience. Glad it worked out. "All in on the Packers!!!"

I think its safe to assume that the Packers and every other NFL teams players take HGH at breakfast and 30 minutes before dinner.

Safe bet words to a 7 year old, "have fun and just enjoy watching the game".