Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is this Helmet a gamer or replica ?

Do you think this is an 1980's/early nineties game used helmet ?

Thanks !!

Re: Is this Helmet a gamer or replica ?

I think a replica...the facemask shows light wear. No NFL shield on the left rear...the rear bumper "RAIDERS" seems to be new...very bright and not aged...other items to look for...any numerals on the facemask clips? What are the three capital letters imprinted on the inside of the facemask near a cheek pad? Any recertification decals evident near a cheek pad and if so what year(s) showing?

I have college and NFL gamers and have seen the padding in yours match the padding in mine...I believe an early 1990's Riddell lid and clips seem similar to a 1994 Maryland Terps Riddell helmet I own.

The questions above are a starting point for what season(s) the helmet could have been worn.

The shell shows some scars...how did you obtain?

Tom

Go Pack! NC State 1981 graduate

I sold it to him....I bought it several years ago on Ebay and it was listed as a late 1980's preseason or tryout camp Los Angeles Raiders helmet. So I bought it. Anyone know for sure let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by bgakladd View Post
    I sold it to him....I bought it several years ago on Ebay and it was listed as a late 1980's preseason or tryout camp Los Angeles Raiders helmet. So I bought it. Anyone know for sure let me know.
    Dave, correct me on this, but if I remember right the clips should have either 87 or 88 inside a little circle on the clips and check the stamped date code inside the helmet under the padding, it was 88 I believe. It has the correct warning label from the period and the rear bumper decal is aged though the picture shows other wise. No NFL logo shield was on the helmet for that time period. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Hi guys, i only posted this as there is no COA and i was hoping to get more information on the helmet from the experts on here !!

the front clips have 88 and 89 on them..

the face mask is a Schutt and the only capital letters on it are DIH

the only other sticker inside the helmet is white and says inspected by.. ( the rest of the sticker has been removed )

the main concern i have is that the paintwork is not the greatest as it has a couple of runs, there are a few shadows in the paintwork and some dirt under the paint..

so were the helmets in those days roughly painted like that or were they all meant to be perfect ?

The only players i can find that wore #23 around that time was Ethan Horton, Derrick Crudup and Sam Seale !!

but i cant find many photos of them playing to try and photo match the helmet !!

The letters "DIH" means the facemask was manufactured April 1998. Take a look at game photos on Getty and AP Images at 1998 and 1999 Raiders games...see what the decal placement looks like on the players' helmets in games versus yours. Look at team rosters and see who wore #23.

Paint schemes during those times were not very shiny is my recollection...you could have a real gamer...let us know what you learn. There is an older hemet for sale on the JOSports website...see what year(s) it may have been worn and look at the warning decal on it versus yours.

Sometimes just a Google of Oakland Raiders helmets will pull up a close up you can use and compare to yours.

Tom

Go Pack! NC State 1981 graduate

It could of had a later facemask put on it by someone for whatever reason

the player wearing #23 in 1999 was Darien Gordon but his facemask was slightly different !!

if someone has any pics of the players mentioned then that would be great but here is the only pic i can find of Sam Seale playing in 1992 !!...

the only thing i can notice is the position of the chin strap is different

even though the paintwork looks ok when you stand back, here are some close up pics of the paint run and shadows..

a run under the logo..

a couple of badly painted areas..

and a pic of the inspection sticker inside..

as ive said if someone can tell me if this sort of paintwork was common in those days then that would be great thanks !!

Claymore, I have a 1994 - 1995 St. Louis Cardinals lineman's helmet. The rear warnings decal on my gamer is identical to the one on yours...same bold "WARNING" and exact language - word for word - in the body and the same in bold "No Helmet Can Prevent..." etc., all in caps.

The rear bumper - with "CARDINALS" with the smaller "TM" in the right lower corner are spot on to yours.

I think it is genuine.

Tom

GO PACK! NC State 1981 graduate