In recent years the Yankee payroll has been as much as seven times that of Tampa Bay, but with only comparable success on the field. (Somebody correct my numbers if they're wrong). The mania for multi-year mega-contracts was partly inspired by fear that the Yankees would grab the top free agents; but multi-year mega-contracts are proving a bad bargain all over the place, whether with the Yankees or others. Even when high-paid players perform well, the money they tie up may keep the team as a whole from doing well. It's still a team game; and one superstar doesn't make a team.

Tampa Bay uses outstanding rookies and solid drafting and development to compensate for short funds. Years ago the Braves used the strong farm system developed by Cox when he was GM to achieve success with a payroll less than half the Yankees. When players didn't produce, the Braves had prospects in their farm system to bring up or trade. Since last year, the low-budget A's are making "Moneyball" work; and the Rangers' strong farm system in recent years has paid off for them after A-Rod's big salary left. ( I thought his opting-out and opting back-in relieved the Rangers' salary contribution, but maybe I'm wrong).

And today's multi-round playoff system makes it impossible for anybody to buy more than Division titles, no matter how big the payroll is. So maybe the era of the multi-year mega-contract will fade away.