Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • justrun7
    • Feb 2012

Need Help Identifying Autographs on Bat

I recently acquired this bat that has a lot of signatures on it, with some signatures appearing on the bat twice. The bat is a kids bat with Giants written on the knob. All of the signatures are difficult for me to try and read and I have been researching but coming up short. I tried my best to take pictures of all of the autographs. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• ironmanfan
    • Sep 2005

Re: Need Help Identifying Autographs on Bat

the only autograph I recognize is former Red Sox hurler's Bob Stanley...Stanley has been a pitching coach in the Minor Leagues for awhile, so perhaps this is a team signed bat from one the team he coached.

Comment

• Rays&Mariners
      • Feb 2012

I think one of them reads Vic Torres. There was a Victor Torres a hitting coach for the Arizona Giants. He passed away this year.

Eric

Comment

• godwulf
        • Aug 2007

One suggestion that has helped me a number of times - if you can ID just two or three signatures, do a little research and find out what team they both (or all) played on. Then go to a resource like thebaseballcube.com and make a list of every player and coach on that team, with their uniform numbers. Having a list like that will help tremendously in ID'ing the rest of the signatures. If you're in doubt about a signature, Google around for an example of the guy's autograph (if it's a well-known player, eBay will likely have several). Hopefully, whoever got these sigs was just concentrating on the players and coaches of one particular team. If not, it's gonna be a whole lot harder. Good luck and have fun!
        Jeff
        godwulf1@cox.net

Comment

• joelsabi
          • Aug 2005

What is always interesting nowadays is that the coaches sigs are the only one that are clear. I usually use basereference but if you need minor league numbers, thecube is the place to search like Jeff mentioned.

Using Bill's clue, I traced when Bob Stanley was the pitching coach moving from Giants A to AA. Torres was a roving hitting instructor who worked in connecticut defenders in 2008. so checked that roster. using the uniform number under the sig, i was able to verify the sigs of carlos sosa #32 and pablo sandoval #35. No other overlap in the two players careers so its likely a 2008 Connecticut Defenders team bat. All for sigs were there in 2008. So you might want check there since the photos are difficult to work with.

Good Luck and Have Fun.
          Regards,
          Joel S.
          joelsabi @ gmail.com
          Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

• justrun7
            • Feb 2012

Thanks to everyone for your help. I still have not solidified who this is, but all of you input has helped go in the right direction.

Comment

Working...