Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Jeter Not Mvp ?

Banned

Re: Jeter Not Mvp ?

Well to the best of my knowledge the MVP award meant Most valuble player not Most Valuable to the team.

Since Player would be referring to performance on the field.

NOT MVPT - Most Valuable Player & Teamate

Your trying to justify he didn't get the award because he didn't suck up to the media and give Arod PRAISE, I PRAISE Jeter for not coming out of his face and telling the Media what he really thinks of ARod.

Now that's a LEADER!!!

The MVP is the most valuable player, the player the most indespensible, the guy his team could not do without. You don't judge an MVP on stats alone. Standing up for a player isn't sucking up to the media, that's what a team player does. Morneau got the team to gel. Jeter could have too. He has the charisma and clubhouse power to squash any kind conflicts like this, but he didn't and let A-Rod go it alone. The 2006 Yankees should have been more and nobody stepped up and fixed this issue.

Again, if the test is everybody's buddy how do you explain all of Barry Bonds MVP's . Different test for him and everyone else? Have you ever heard ANY of Jeter's teammates complain about him. Torre has said that players who come to the Yankees from other teams tell him after being there for a while that they are amazed after watching him play that he is even better than they thought. He leads by example. And the Yankees respect him.

So Jeter could have fixed ARod. How? ARod has had problems that go back to Texas and beyond. There are lots of guys who can't make it in New York. If a guy has touble there he's got to handle it himself. Tell the fans not to boo. Jeter is New York wise enough to know the fans are going to do what they want to. Jeter is one of the best liked players the Yankees have ever had and the fans were booing him when he had a bad slump a year or two ago. Guess he doesn't deserve the MVP because he not the psychologist who can fix ARods probems, the same ones he's had since he was in Texas, just magnified on the New York stage. Virtually all the Yankees would say Jeter's a great teammate. These attacks are just getting silly.

First of all, this isn't an attack. Jeter is tremendous and will be a first ballot Hall of Famer. Torre isn't the manager of that team, Jeter runs it. If he doesn't like someone, they're gone. The only person in my memory who had more power as a player and how this situation compares is Cal Ripken... and Jeter may even surpass him in influence. Jeter didn't stick up for A-Rod. It's easy to see that they don't like each other that much, but they can't say anything either...that would start a war. Instead of Jeter saying that he's not going to tell the fans who they can and cannot boo, he could have said that A-Rod will come around and if we're going to win, he will play a critical role. A lot of what the media gets is posturing anyway. Giambi took shots at A-Rod, I believe Mussina did, Torre alluded to a few things...Jeter has the power and personna to end anyone...including Torre or management, from bashing a teammate. He would have been my MVP if he did this, but the A-Rod issue was allowed to fester and it never really was addressed once and for all. Jeter is tremendous, but I believe he could have dealt with this differently and stopping the sniping from point #1. I am interested to see what happens with A-Rod next year and how the Yankees handle it. Once again, this is a golden opportunity for Jeter to smooth everything over. I think he could and should use his sway to get the team on the same page and work together. If they do, they will be the team to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by suave1477 View Post
    Twins won 96 Games Yankees won 97 - Exactly Twins didnt do any better

Twins won the division by 1 game Yankees by 10? Yeah not because we got any better but because the Red Sox started playing worse because of there poor pitching - and technically wiining by 10 in my books has always beaten 1

Combined wins I agree it may have been a tad bit harder for the Twins but we werent losing our games gracisouly to the dominant teams we were losing poorly to the bad teams.

I do appreciate you proving my point!!!

As I said before Jeter carried us otherwise we wouldn't have even made as far as we did!!!
    Your kidding right? Please tell me your kidding. The Twins won a MUCH TOUGHER division by one game versus the Yankees winning a MUCH WEAKER division by 10. By no stretch of the imagination can you say without Morneau the Twins do not take the division or make the playoffs. You can not say the same for Jeter. The Yankees won the division by 10 games.

Jeter hit .343 with 214 hits compared to Morneau hitting .321 with 190 hits. If Jeter got 24 fewer hits to equal Morneau, rest assured the Yankees are still going to make the playoffs. My point is Morneau's contributions to his team's success far outweighed Jeter's contributions to his teams success. If you can't see that then there is not point in having this discussion.

bottom line......jeter should have been MVP. if he wasnt a yankee, if arod didnt win it last year, jeter would be the mvp. look at the numbers, plain and simple. morneau was a nobody before the second half of the season, and i'm sure he will return to being a nobody in '07. jeter is a better player and had a better season. but it doesnt matter, its an award from a bunch of biased writers. jeter will make the hall without it. most people believe that they got it wrong in both leagues. i am one of them.

hey sylbry, what's your email address?

chris
    staindsox@hotmail.com

I really have to laugh when Yankee fans complain about the media being biased! Come on! Joe DiMaggio is God on earth? Lefty Gomez? Red Ruffing? Rizzuto over Marion and/or Travis?

Throw in Freddie Lindstrom and George Kelly, too. There are 49 other states out there who are tired of hearing about all things New York!!

Ken