Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeter Not Mvp ?

Jeter Not Mvp ?

Have to vent !!!!

Jeter vs. Morneau
    Jeter 22 points better BA, 42 points better on base Pct. 58 points better with runners in scoring position, Jeter also had more Hits, Runs, Doubles and stolen bases than Morneau.

Defense:
    Jeter- Gold Glove
    Morneau- NOT

Did I miss something????? WOW I feel better......

Re: Jeter Not Mvp ?

Morneau hit over .360 from the break 34 HR 130 RBI .559 SLG and he didn't have the same bats behind him in the lineup. He is why the Twins made the playoffs. The Yankees would have either way. Morneau was my pick.

Quote Originally Posted by JETEFAN View Post

Did I miss something
    You didn't miss anything. Mourneau does not do well under pressure also. He is from Canada so when he plays in Canada he chokes as he had 1 hit vs. Toronto. Could you imagine if he played for a NY team? Jeter is clutch under pressure.

Mourneau was an All Star player last year and did deserve MVP votes, but this was certainly Jeter's year.

Now let me vent about Ryan Zimmerman not winning the NL Rookie of the Year. Some people thought David Ortiz was Mr. Clutch with the walk-off HRs....but Zimmerman led ALL major leaguers with Hits w/ Runners in Scoring Position and had 5 walk-off RBIs. He had 9th inning HRs/hits vs. the best in the game including Billy Wagner, Chien Ming-Wang, Mariano Rivera, Armando Benitez, and Joe Borowski. On top of that 120 RBIs as he was the only Rookie with over 100 RBIs!!!!

Fine, Hanley Ramirez who won the ROY had a .292 vs. .287 Batting Average and more runs scored and more stolen bases, but look at runs produced then (RBI + Runs Scored) and Ryan Zimmerman smoked him at 194 vs. 178.

Many writers got it right as it was a close vote, but some writers just missed the clutch aspect and runs produced which besides defense is key to winning games. Zim was also Mr. Web Gem too!

Unfortunately you only have 1 shot at a Rookie of the Year. Hopefully both these guys will have the oppportunity to win MVP in the future.

Jeter is soooooo over rated. Mourneau had my vote as well.

I personally thought it should have been in the following order.

Mourneau
    Dye
    Jeter
    Thomas
    Ortiz

I just don't think Yankee fans can grasp the concept that a guy who made only $385,000 can be an MVP.

Talking Re: Jeter Not Mvp ?

Quote Originally Posted by chicagoglen View Post
    Jeter is soooooo over rated. Mourneau had my vote as well.

I personally thought it should have been in the following order.

Mourneau
    Dye
    Jeter
    Thomas
    Ortiz
    Over rated is when you do not perform to the hype...Jeter overated, no way. He has been performing to the hype since day 1. Along with Ortiz, Jeter is on of the most clutch players in the game!! The best playoff performer in the game by far, offense and defense. Morneau has had one good 1/2 season in his career. Jeter consistant since 1996!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sylbry View Post
    I just don't think Yankee fans can grasp the concept that a guy who made only $385,000 can be an MVP.
    $385,000 seems fair when you you only show up for 1/2 the season!!

I believe Jeter is suffering from the fact that AROD won the MVP last year and that the Yankees with that huge payroll have not won a World Series for how long?

Jeter is a good player, but you take Jeter away from the Yankees and put him on the Royals or Rockies and see what kind of stats that he has. Jeter is surrounded by some of the best talent in baseball every year. I will give Jeter his props, he comes up big when the game is on the line.

Quote Originally Posted by rose14 View Post
    Jeter is a good player, but you take Jeter away from the Yankees and put him on the Royals or Rockies and see what kind of stats that he has. Jeter is surrounded by some of the best talent in baseball every year. I will give Jeter his props, he comes up big when the game is on the line.
    You can't score many runs if nobody knocks you in and you can't drive in many runs if nobody is on base so your point with the Royals is valid, but Jeter would do great on the Rockies! He would hit 10 more HRs there! Now he couldn't win a MVP at either place because the voters want you to be on a Playoff team to win a MVP.....

Now back to the Twins, they had Mauer lead the league in batting average at .347 and was a MVP candidate, Luis Castillo an All Star 2nd baseman at .296 and Tyner and Bartlett both batted over .300 with in addition Torii Hunter who had an off year with 98 RBIs and 31 HRs.

In my opinion, I think for most of the season that Morneau had more coverage around him than Jeter did with all the Yankee injuries! Morneau batted in the 5 hole with guys on base with Torii Hunter in the on-deck circle!

Both excellent players, but Jeter got robbed!!!