Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

1981 Alan Trammell game used jersey dilemma

Hi guys, new to the board with an issue that is perplexing to me.

I own an Alan Trammell jersey from 1981. As a kid I worked as a bat boy for the Tigers during spring training, and I was allowed to take various items that no one had any use for any more.

Here is my issue. As you well know, major league jerseys were recycled to be used by minor leaguers during spring training. The "TRAMMELL" name was stitched directly to the jersey. In order to fit a normal replacement nameplate on the back, they cut the "T" off the beginning and the "L" off the end. That nameplate has since been removed. So I have a 1981 #3 jersey with "RAMMEL" stitched on the back, with slight discoloration where the nameplate did not allow that part of the jersey to fade. My question is, would a collector rather have the jersey in its current state, or should I have it restored? I don't want any perception at all that I attempted to fool someone by taking it away from its original state.

I have a feeling that a 1981 Trammel jersey has some value to Tiger collectors out there, but I want to do it the right way. Thanks for any advice.

I'm doing this from my phone and will be glad to post pictures tomorrow.

Re: 1981 Alan Trammell game used jersey dilemma

Quote Originally Posted by coachnip13@aol.com View Post

I own an Alan Trammell jersey from 1981. As a kid I worked as a bat boy for the Tigers during spring training, and I was allowed to take various items that no one had any use for any more.

Here is my issue. As you well know, major league jerseys were recycled to be used by minor leaguers during spring training. The "TRAMMELL" name was stitched directly to the jersey. In order to fit a normal replacement nameplate on the back, they cut the "T" off the beginning and the "L" off the end. That nameplate has since been removed. So I have a 1981 #3 jersey with "RAMMEL" stitched on the back, with slight discoloration where the nameplate did not allow that part of the jersey to fade. My question is, would a collector rather have the jersey in its current state, or should I have it restored? I don't want any perception at all that I attempted to fool someone by taking it away from its original state.

I have a feeling that a 1981 Trammel jersey has some value to Tiger collectors out there, but I want to do it the right way. Thanks for any advice.

You yourself are a great source of provenance for the jersey. It would be great if you happened to have a few photos of yourself during your time working for the team. Personally, I would send the jersey to fellow GUU member Lon Lewis, who would do a world-class job restoring the name. Maybe Lon would be kind enough to include a short letter explaining exactly what he did to the jersey to add to the chain of provenance.

I believe the restoration of the missing letters, if done correctly by the likes of Lon Lewis, will increase the value of the jersey.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Anthony Nunez
    Historian, USFL Houston Gamblers
    www.Houston-Gamblers.com

Quote Originally Posted by coachnip13@aol.com View Post

I would love to see photos of the jersey and please let me know if you are interested in selling it.

wesholden at gmail dot com

Wes

Thanks for the feedback so far. Commando, I do indeed have photos of myself from those days. The most depressing part is the hindsight. I had access to all of that stuff, and could have had a lot more. And it was all legitimate. At that time, no one thought twice about some old jersey that was passed down to the minors, so it was mine for the taking.

Here are some photos:

Thumbs up Re: 1981 Alan Trammell game used jersey dilemma

Man I would love that jersey. My favorite tiger ever.

-Tony
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Always looking for ALEX AVILA, ALBERT PUJOLS, HOME RUN BATS, and any high end gamers from 90's-00's stars.

Tony Servitto
    My Email: servitto84@yahoo.com
    My Website: http://vitosbatsandmemorabilia.webs.com/

The thumbs down was an accident , on my phone lol.

-Tony
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Always looking for ALEX AVILA, ALBERT PUJOLS, HOME RUN BATS, and any high end gamers from 90's-00's stars.

Tony Servitto
    My Email: servitto84@yahoo.com
    My Website: http://vitosbatsandmemorabilia.webs.com/

I would get it restored and consign it to a top auction house (i.e. Goldin Auctions). That way you know you are getting top value for it.

Quote Originally Posted by mbrieve View Post
    I would get it restored and consign it to a top auction house (i.e. Goldin Auctions). That way you know you are getting top value for it.
    +1

Again, thanks for the tips guys. I sent an email to Mr. Lewis about a week ago, but have not heard back from him yet. Hopefully it's a project he would like to do.

I would advise against 'restoring' it as it is a one of a kind as is and IMO more valuable. Generally speaking in regards to antiques/memoriabilia, restoring/replacing decreases the value of an object especialy one like yours which has such great provenance.