Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Steiner Sports is out of touch with Reality

If this is indeed how it works then things have changed since I was indirectly involved with autograph shows back in the 80' and I will stand corrected. And if Bernie Williams can sit there and sign for that price then he should be spanked. Maybe by me. Maybe I will change my name from Yankwood to Spankwood and tell him he should be ashamed. I do understand supply and demand economics and I also know that Bernie has been spouting biblical quotations throughout his career and I believe there is one about greed that he missed. Anyway, I have said my peace and these things get boring so I will make this my last post so I can earn some extra money for that autograph ticket. NOT ! ! !

The signing will probably sell out and thats the problem. As long as people are shelling out $400 for another persons signature, things arent going to change. I would NEVER spend that much money for someone to sign their name on something I put in front of them. It goes the same for the ridiculous prices that Steiner puts on their jerseys, idiots are paying that much. I bought a few jerseys from their auctions for reasonable prices, but I laugh at them when they contact me and try to sell me an item at these ludicrous prices. Needless to say, they havent given me a call in a while. I still love the Yanks though, GO YANKEES ! ! ! !

Steiner charges these kinds of prices because they know in the long run that someone will pay their price; i wouldn't pay $20 for Bernie Williams' auto and i'm a Yankee fan, but don't collect their stuff because it's too freaking high; if people would just walk away, then Steiner would choke on their Yankees stuff and the price would have to come down eventually.

John

......I still remember the heyday of the hobby in the mid '80's when Mickey Mantle,Joe DiMaggio,and Ted Williams were all 7 dollar autographs.....on any item!!!Now Bernie was a nice player for the Yanks all these years,but is certainly no Hall of Famer or player who even approaches those guys.I guess if they were still alive,Steiner'd be charging $2000 an autograph for them,since they were getting $800 for McGwire and now $400 for Bernie....and someone would still pay it.What they've done to the hobby is a shame....

Quote Originally Posted by Yankwood
    I also know that Bernie has been spouting biblical quotations throughout his career
    Along these lines, can someone please confirm for me what Bernie has been known to commonly add under his signature. I was told by someone that it is "SOG" standing for "Son of God". However, I have seen a number of signatures where the additional letters added look more like "SDG". Can someone please fill me in?

Thanks in advance,
    Christopher Cavalier

Banned

Guys/Gals. I don't know what all the fuss is with Steiner Sports. We forget one important point, we control the market NOT Steiner!!! The money is in our pockets. Ultimately, it's our decision on whether or not we want to take it out.

SDG stands for Solo a Dios Gloria whch roughly translates to Glory of God. Bernie is a classically trained guitar player and this phrase is derived from one of the movements from one of his favorite classical pieces. From now on maybe it will be MDA. Mucho dinero por autografo.

I'm a born and raised Yankee fan and I always admired Williams but no freakin' way would I pay $400 for his autograph. I dont care if he signed his name on Cindy Crawford's butt with a 24 kt gold pen.

Quote Originally Posted by Vintagedeputy
    I'm a born and raised Yankee fan and I always admired Williams but no freakin' way would I pay $400 for his autograph. I dont care if he signed his name on Cindy Crawford's butt with a 24 kt gold pen.
    Let's not get carried away now.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankwood
    SDG stands for Solo a Dios Gloria whch roughly translates to Glory of God. Bernie is a classically trained guitar player and this phrase is derived from one of the movements from one of his favorite classical pieces.
    Hello Yankwood-

Thanks for the information. Having studied Italian and knowing that Bernie was from Puerto Rico (with Spanish being his native tongue), I thought it was highly likely it was "SDG" with the "D" standing for "Dios".

BTW, Bernie has been one of my favorite players for years and I was one of his earliest proselytizers. In fact, I remember purchasing 1,000 of his rookie cards when he was still in the minor leagues and telling everyone he was going to be a star. It was the first time I purchased baseball cards since I was a kid and thought it would be a good investment (back then people were buying cards in bulk as investments). In fact, I still have the 1,000 cards and the receipt with the original date of purchase.

I also saw Bernie perform with his guitar on Good Morning America. He's actually very good. If I'm not mistaken, I think Paul Simon had good things to say about his guitar playing abilities.

Sincerely,
    Christopher Cavalier