• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ChrisCavalier
    Paid Users
    • Jan 1970

Re: Steiner Sports is out of touch with Reality

Originally posted by axel900
    Here's an interesting question. If you wanted the pants at $250 so bad why didnt you bid on them?? I guess you have never participated in an auction before, If the item does not sell it goes back to the house. It is theirs to sell. Stop complaining and take advantage when you can.
    Hello Axel-

The answer to your question was in the original post. Here it is:

"Last night, there were some Bobby Murcer pants in auction that had an opening bid of $250. Since Murcer jerseys are almost impossible, I had planned on bidding on these pants. $250 was really more than I wanted to pay - but in today's world - probably not too bad a price. They were home pinstripes from 1979. Well, I had a Christmas party to attend last night and I thought the auction would still be going when I came home, but it had ended."

Sincerely,
    Christopher Cavalier
    Christopher Cavalier
    Consignment Director - Heritage Auctions

Comment

• Yankwood
      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by ChrisCavalier
      Hello Axel-

The answer to your question was in the original post. Here it is:

"Last night, there were some Bobby Murcer pants in auction that had an opening bid of $250. Since Murcer jerseys are almost impossible, I had planned on bidding on these pants. $250 was really more than I wanted to pay - but in today's world - probably not too bad a price. They were home pinstripes from 1979. Well, I had a Christmas party to attend last night and I thought the auction would still be going when I came home, but it had ended."

Sincerely,
      Christopher Cavalier
      Hey, I've gotten drunk and missed auctions before, too. Who hasn't. That's how other people get bargains. The hardcores get home late or pass out early and the clean livers (with clean livers) take over the auction.

Comment

• ChrisCavalier
        Paid Users
        • Jan 1970

Originally posted by Yankwood
        Hey, I've gotten drunk and missed auctions before, too. Who hasn't. That's how other people get bargains. The hardcores get home late or pass out early and the clean livers (with clean livers) take over the auction.
        Yankwood, do you do stand-up comedy?

The only problem with your theory is that Jim doesn't strike me as a person who would come home late because he got ripped. In fact, I think it's more likely he got home late because he drove someone else home who was inebriated than getting drunk himself.

-Christopher Cavalier
        Christopher Cavalier
        Consignment Director - Heritage Auctions

Comment

• s.carter
          Banned
          • Dec 2005

Chris, I see two problems with this situation. One is you think Yankwood is kidding and giving a theory, I'm more inclined to believe he's 100% serious and speaking from personal experiences. Two this is the guy giving business tips to a multi million dollar company...very troubling.

Comment

• Yankwood
            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by s.carter
            Chris, I see two problems with this situation. One is you think Yankwood is kidding and giving a theory, I'm more inclined to believe he's 100% serious and speaking from personal experiences. Two this is the guy giving business tips to a multi million dollar company...very troubling.
            Not business tips. Just someone who's aghast that a business that is supposed to be so brilliant has nobody that knows where the records are kept that shows when an item was shipped. Is that too much to ask?

Comment

• JimCaravello
              • Jan 1970

First off - I wasn't drunk - I forgot the time the auction ended and really thought it ended later in the evening. I don't know if you can snipe a Steiner auction, like you can with ebay, but I haven't figured that out yet if you can........ but to post a comment relative to me tipping the bottle and missing the auction and being disgruntled - you are way off the mark. A lot of you don't seem to understand the point I have stated over and over in my posts. If you haven't picked up on it yet, you never will. Thank you Chris for your kind comments - and Yankwood's comments are correct in the previous post.

Secondly - yes, some guy is giving a multi-million dollar company tips. It's not the first time it has happened in this country and it won't be the last. Constructive comments to my company from any person in any walk of life are welcome in my business - and that's why we are successful. Steiner will wake up and improve, as I am not the only one who sees the areas that need improvement. Jim Caravello

Comment

• trsent
                Banned
                • Nov 2005

Ok, someone tell me since I just don't know -

Is $700 for a 16x20 autographed by Kiss reasonable?

Happy Holidays!

Comment

• pietraynor
                  • Nov 2005

I too was wondering why you didn't bid the $250 for the Murcer pants, that's a fair price, and I agree, $1,500 is high..correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this a 7 or 10-day auction? You could have placed a bid at any time..Could it be since you had success purchasing another item at a lower price from Steiner, that you were hoping to do the same w/the Murcer pants and it didn't work out? I've purchased several items from Steiner w/o problems..I do agree that a shipping notification from them would be nice and even discussed that w/ them and they agreed, noting it would likely be added in the future.

Comment

• s.carter
                    Banned
                    • Dec 2005

Jim I hope you didn't perceive my post to have anything at all to do with you. By no means was I taking a cheap shot at you, I was aiming for Yankwood and his comments about bottle tipping. As for giving an opinion on Steiner I agree 100% constructive criticism is great in any business at anytime. I just feel some people on this forum are not constructive rather petty and irrational, you are not one of those people. This topic of Steiner seems to have really gotten crazy, I don't think I've ever seen 50 something posts on any topic on this page.

Comment

• Yankwood
                      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by s.carter
                      Jim I hope you didn't perceive my post to have anything at all to do with you. By no means was I taking a cheap shot at you, I was aiming for Yankwood and his comments about bottle tipping. As for giving an opinion on Steiner I agree 100% constructive criticism is great in any business at anytime. I just feel some people on this forum are not constructive rather petty and irrational, you are not one of those people. This topic of Steiner seems to have really gotten crazy, I don't think I've ever seen 50 something posts on any topic on this page.
                      Well, if being "petty", "irrational" and non"constructive" means expecting a bit of attention on the phone after spending hundreds of dollars, well then color me INSANE . I'm not sure how old any of you are and although I am not yet, and I stress YET erectially dysfunctional, I am old enough to remember when being treated with a little common courtesy was a source of pride from most well-run businesses. If we, and that includes you or anyone, are not important enough to get a response more flippant than I received by the Steiner lot, well then we all should be spanked because we have all allowed this attitude to become prevalent these days. I know for a fact that many of the posters on the site make a few bucks off schmucks like me. And that's great. We DON'T have to let ourselves be talked down to by an outfit that seemingly sees itself as too important to keep something so simple as an effin' shipping record and basically hung up on. And also, YES, we CAN sit hear and bitch about how much something costs because that is part of what we as a society do. And I believe what forums like this are for. Informing each other of what we like and dislike about our hobby. We all moan and groan about prices. Not just sports related items but in the everyday world. Cars, houses, GAS, etc......If some of you have more money than you know what to do with, well than great. You probably bitch about other things. I am guilty. I bought a Steiner item. I made a pact with the "devil". I have heard alot of complaints from others and now I understand why. I probably won't ever again. I can't promise that, and I am sure they won't miss my 2 or 3 hundred bucks. But if they jerk around 100 others like me, who resent being treated poorly by someone who just accepted my money, they may learn the hard way. So if I think spending $400 on an autograph of a living human is a bit on the high side, well then you are right and I am being very petty and irrational. But I think I have the right to express an opinion regarding it since I believe that's part of what this whole forum is about. On the other hand, it is also about praising others who do us well. Communicating, sharing experiences, bitching once in a while and joking with each other is the very essence of the hobby. Without it, it's just a store.

Comment

• trsent
                        Banned
                        • Nov 2005

I made a pact with the "devil".
                        Can you give him my email address? I need to make a deal with him over something private.

Happy Holidays!

Comment

• Yankwood
                          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by trsent
                          Can you give him my email address? I need to make a deal with him over something private.

Happy Holidays!
                          Well, at least I know now that you weren't the one on here who was "banned". It's about the ONLY forum like this that I haven't been kicked off of yet. I'm sure my time is coming, though. I didn't think you could be kicked off the internet, but I'm not far off.

Comment

• trsent
                            Banned
                            • Nov 2005

Well, at least I know now that you weren't the one on here who was "banned". It's about the ONLY forum like this that I haven't been kicked off of yet. I'm sure my time is coming, though. I didn't think you could be kicked off the internet, but I'm not far off.
                            Hehe, can you imagine when you are banned by the government from accessing the internet? They would send people to the library to be sure you weren't logging in. Your picture would be posted at Kinkos.

Happy Holidays!

Comment

• Eric
                              • Jan 1970

There's no reason anyone should be banned. Just be civil and don't use profanity and we'll be fine.
                              Eric
                              Always looking for game used San Diego Chargers items...

Comment

• Yankwood
                                • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Eric
                                There's no reason anyone should be banned. Just be civil and don't use profanity and we'll be fine.
                                Eric
                                WHY YOU @#$!%?*#@, DON'T YOU EVER @$#!%#$& AGAIN! ! !

Comment

Working...