Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: How do you Display Stitches?

Quote Originally Posted by nevrdiez34 View Post
    +1 I think people are WAY too quick to call an item stupid or try to discredit an item. Just because you don't like it and won't bid on it doesn't mean plenty of others would. I never understood the need to put in your two cents when the item doesn't appeal to you. Why take the time to put it down? Different strokes...
    Easy folks. I am stating my thoughts on what I feel is a ridiculous auction item on a public forum. The above poster commenting that he can't understand why someone would comment on an item that doesn't appeal to them is a tad ironic - as he is taking the time to comment that I am wrong and the item does appeal to him.

Bottom line - I wish the seller, auction, athlete and charity all the best. Crazy, oddball item - bidders, have fun.
    WANTED -1977 Toronto Blue Jays game jersey

chris@pacmedia.ca

Apparently, I not alone in my opinion. From the auction's FB page (3 of 6 comments seem to suggest that this is a ridiculous item). And for the record, the Chris that commented isn't me.

Pls understand that I think donating items for charitable causes is very worthwhile, and the athlete may have donated a ton of items elsewhere, which would be awesome - it's jus that this item sucks.

chris@pacmedia.ca

Quote Originally Posted by cjw View Post
    Apparently, I not alone in my opinion. From the auction's FB page (3 of 6 comments seem to suggest that this is a ridiculous item). And for the record, the Chris that commented isn't me.

Pls understand that I think donating items for charitable causes is very worthwhile, and the athlete may have donated a ton of items elsewhere, which would be awesome - it's jus that this item sucks.

I never indicated you were the only person with that opinion. My statement was in general, not a direct shot at you and you only, but obviously if you decided to take it so personal and strongly, it must apply. There are a lot of people who think collecting anything game used is stupid, so I am not surprised at all by the reaction of a few on the FB page. And for the record, I am not interested in the stitches, but I do think degrading an item because you don't want it is pretty arbitrary.

Banned

I like this reporter's views on the auction:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGhh2_SVxIU

I never indicated you were the only person with that opinion. My statement was in general, not a direct shot at you and you only, but obviously if you decided to take it so personal and strongly, it must apply. There are a lot of people who think collecting anything game used is stupid, so I am not surprised at all by the reaction of a few on the FB page. And for the record, I am not interested in the stitches, but I do think degrading an item because you don't want it is pretty arbitrary.
    Not taken personally at all. I like discourse and value other people's opinions on this and any other topic. I am not attempting to be rude but I feel that auctioning off such an item actually degrades the game used collecting hobby in a way. Game- chewed gum or game stitches are, in my estimation, laughable items on the outer fringes of collectibility; akin to jersey swatch cards and those with tiny cubes of bats and hockey sticks etc.

Bid away and enjoy them in your collection - I think it is nothing but a sad novelty item, akin to a pet rock.

chris@pacmedia.ca

Quote Originally Posted by trsent View Post
    I like this reporter's views on the auction:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGhh2_SVxIU
    Have to disagree with the reporter's assertion that what The athlete is doing "is an amazing thing". Millions of people donate time, money, services, goods etc every year to untold charities. This is the right thing to do. I myself support - MS Society, Pitch in For Baseball, Movember cancer awareness etc and I happy to do so.

"An amazing thing" would be to give up his Stanley Cup worn jersey (may be has has? I wouldn't fault him if he didn't want to however as he has obviously worked hard to reach that pinnacle). "Amazing things" don't include giving throwaway pieces of thread and a singed photo to a cause - I would call that a nice thing.

I still applaud te athlete for doing so however, I think that he would give the charity more funds to work with if he had chosen (or hadn't been convinced) to donate such a lame item. Again, maybe this is just one of many items the athlete has donated?

chris@pacmedia.ca

Quote Originally Posted by cjw View Post
    Have to disagree with the reporter's assertion that what The athlete is doing "is an amazing thing". Millions of people donate time, money, services, goods etc every year to untold charities. This is the right thing to do. I myself support - MS Society, Pitch in For Baseball, Movember cancer awareness etc and I happy to do so.

"An amazing thing" would be to give up his Stanley Cup worn jersey (may be has has? I wouldn't fault him if he didn't want to however as he has obviously worked hard to reach that pinnacle). "Amazing things" don't include giving throwaway pieces of thread and a singed photo to a cause - I would call that a nice thing.

I still applaud te athlete for doing so however, I think that he would give the charity more funds to work with if he had chosen (or hadn't been convinced) to donate such a lame item. Again, maybe this is just one of many items the athlete has donated?

I really wish I had that much time on my hands. Keep beating that dead horse man, you and the others will only be giving that pet rock more and more publicity. Personally I don't judge what others choose to donate to a good cause.

not really sure how an item can suck if its helping drive awareness to the charity.. a "regular" item won't do this.

I really wish I had that much time on my hands. Keep beating that dead horse man, you and the others will only be giving that pet rock more and more publicity. Personally I don't judge what others choose to donate to a good cause.
    You seem to have exactly the same amount of spare time as I; as you are matching me post for post. I doubt this thread is upping the level of exposure the auction will receive in a meaningful way, but if so, fantastic. It will need all the help it can get to locate more fringe-item collectors to bid on this and to bring in some meaningfully dollars.

chris@pacmedia.ca

Quote Originally Posted by MercyMe78 View Post
    not really sure how an item can suck if its helping drive awareness to the charity.. a "regular" item won't do this.
    I agree that a regular item (like a signed photo) work drive interest in an auction. Do you think the charity needs more awareness or do people understand that cancer research is a meaningful charity to support? I would say that they need $ and this item ain't gonna fill the coifers I'm afraid.

chris@pacmedia.ca