Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ESPN Ryan Braun story

Not a shameless self-promotion...I just was willing to tell "our" story.
    I think the storyline is relevant for all collectors.

The video is approx. 3:30.

Here's the link.

Re: ESPN Ryan Braun story

Glad to see ESPN did the story... Braun should feel like a Tool, but Im sure he's more upset over getting Caught...

In the late 1990's we used to travel as a family to out-of-town games and to the big autograph shows. A thrill of a lifetime was surprising all of my kids in 1999 to fly them to the last series of 1999 to St. Louis to see the Cardinals play the Cubs with McGwire and Sosa.

My kids have met McGwire, Sosa, and had a meal with Barry Bonds. They've met Roger Clemens and ARod and so many others.

Those were the players they collected and admired, and the collections used to be proudly displayed in our home we had until we moved in 2005. The "tainted" collection was all boxed up and put in storage and not sure what I will do with all of it.

The 500 HR Club guys we used to admire became our Hall of Shame. My hard earned money I paid to acquire the pieces is just a part of it.

My youngest daughter (now 10) came home from the hospital on the same day in 2003 when Roger Clemens won his 300th. It's strange how many milestones I've shared with my children and how many talks we have had about PEDs and doing the right thing since my kids all play sports.

Nick, I feel your pain.
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

At least Braun and the others are setting a good example by taking responsibility for their wrong actions and accepting the ban. Can't say the same for the guy who plays in pinstripes.
    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Quote Originally Posted by metsbats View Post
    At least Braun and the others are setting a good example by taking responsibility for their wrong actions and accepting the ban. Can't say the same for the guy who plays in pinstripes.
    After skirting the first suspension on a technicality, swearing he was clean, and now this, I think the example he has set is to lie for as long as you can get by with.

Quote Originally Posted by metsbats View Post
    Braun is far from setting a good example. The guy destroyed another's person job and credit not long ago. He lied to everyone many times. He only took the suspension because there was so much proof against him.

I agree with you both. All I was referring to was making the choice to accept wrong doing and not contesting the ban. (Manning up and taking responsiblity).
    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Quote Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
    Braun is far from setting a good example. The guy destroyed another's person job and credit not long ago. He lied to everyone many times. He only took the suspension because there was so much proof against him.
    That's EXACTLY what I said when he got off on the technicality in the 1st place.

He didn't accept responsibility and he sure as hell didn't feel bad ruining the life of someone he probably considered 'beneath' him as long as he didn't get punished.

Does anyone really think he 'manned' up 'accepting' responsibility this time? I don't. I think he saw 65 games without pay versus 100 and figured he might as well start it now and collect a full season's salary next year.

I also think when guys get busted, their contract should be null and void as well. I don't think the clubs should have to pay them - BUT - I also think the clubs should bear some responsibility when they sign or resign guys who have 'questions' floating around them. Even though I advocate them being able to void the cheats contracts, I think the value of the contract should still be held against the club as far as 'luxury tax' purposes for the length of what was left on the contract.

Just like the A-Rod deal. Even if MLB bans him, I think the Yankees should be able to rescind his contract, but I also think the full value should be held against the Yankees payroll (they made the deal) until the natural end of the contract period.

Just my .02

- Smitty

P.S. - I have not and will not watch the video. I have ZERO interest in what comes out of his mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by xpress34 View Post
    ... P.S. - I have not and will not watch the video. I have ZERO interest in what comes out of his mouth.
    The video isn't Ryan Braun... it is happyyoungster and his daughter...
    Always on the lookout for Garin Cecchini game used items especially Greenville Drive and Salem Red Sox jerseys.
    I accept PM's so shoot me a message.

Banned

Nick,

That's a really nice video piece.

It's very uplifting to see your daughter display morals and integrity at such a young age. Obviously you are doing the fatherhood thing right. It also supports the proper message that cheating isn't the way to do things in life. If we want our society to stay strong, these are important issues.

Somewhere along the line, the cheaters need to be dealt with in a harsher fashion. It seems the only real punishment they are serving is the backlash from public sentiment. The financial losses from the suspensions are viewed by these cheaters as a "necessary evil". Sure, it sucks to get caught, but short of cheating, they don't get the big "payday" in the first place. So, where's the deterrent?

Obviously the suspensions aren't enough. My personal belief is Selig is not the right man to fix the problem. Sure, he's doing something. He has no choice. But he's in too deep with the owners, the guys paying huge amounts to the cheaters who in turn bring in the fan base and money. It's a mess, a tangled web of a support system built on a foundation of sand.

The best way I can describe my disgust with the whole cheating era, and Selig's mismanagement of it, is to recall watching Barry Bonds. Here was a guy grotesquely larger than most of his prior playing years, surrounded neck deep in questions he addressed with curt arrogant denials, yet left to plow forward with Herculean ease and frequency late in his career, putting up impossible H.R. numbers no one at his age had ever sniffed prior. And there sat Selig idly, allowing him to march pass the great Henry Aaron's record. Shameful.

And now, here comes A-Rod on the great Willie Mays mark.

Something needs to be done. The cockroaches need to be exterminated. Not just chased into another room for awhile.

Bram