Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2008 MLB WORLD SERIES GAME USED BASEBALL database breakdown

From being a Rays game used collector for over a decade, the pinnacle of their history was reaching the 2008 World Series. Over the last couple years I have tried to collect data about all the authenticated game used baseballs from the 2008 MLB World Series against the Philadelphia Phillies. I have compiled a spread sheet that tracks the authenticated game used baseballs from that World Series.

Interesting tidbits of those 2008 World Series game used baseballs are as follows:

Game 1 = 32 Authenticated game used baseballs
    Game 2 = 27 Authenticated game used baseballs
    Game 3 = 20 Authenticated game used baseballs
    Game 4 = 31 Authenticated game used baseballs
    Game 5 = 29 Authenticated game used baseballs

The players with the most baseballs attributed to them are not surprisingly are Kazmir and Hamels, both players started 2 games in the 2008 World Seres, so that is not too surprising.

Cole Hammels = 24 baseballs attributed to him
    Scott Kazmir = 18 baseballs attributed to him

Jayson Werth has the most balls authenticated to a hitter in the 08 WS with 12 baseballs.

As for specific use:

Only 1 ball was authenticated as 1st pitch of the game. That surprised me as I would think each 1st pitch of the game would have gotten authenticated.

46 of the 139 authenticated 2008 World Series baseballs (33%) were PITCHES IN THE DIRT.

35 of the 139 authenticated 2008 World Series baseballs (25%) were FOUL baseballs.

As for HIT or more of the noteworthy event baseballs….
    3 Singles
    1 Double
    2 Walks
    2 HBP
    2 Wild Pitches
    1 authenticated as a “DOUBLE STEAL”

11 Baseballs were generic authentication of
    1 baseball was authenticated as “GAME READY” and I did not include this one baseball as the game used listing.

Re: 2008 MLB WORLD SERIES GAME USED BASEBALL database breakdown

Excellent research! This kind of survey is always valuable in the general understanding of the always-changing authentication procedures.

I've done and posted in GUU similar surveys of other games, such as Game 2 of the 2010 ALCS ( The Rangers' first-ever home postseason win.) In that game, I think there were 55 authenticated balls. With one exception, it looked like every ball that came out of play was authenticated. The one exception was that it looked like the 8th-inning strikeout ball of Jorge Posada was taken out of play but not authenticated. I suspect it was given directly to pitcher Darren Oliver, bypassing the authenticator.

Authentication procedures vary greatly from time to time and city to city. There's little that is standard about them.

I have done this also for a couple All Star games. MLB authenticates 28-42 balls per year at the All Star Game, so I always thought ALL Star game used baseballs should be worth more than World Series balls (assuming an apples to apples comparison like a "pitch in the dirt")

I think it helps a lot when the supply for the item is actually shown. I think sometime people think there are 100's of authenticated baseballs out there for an event like the World Series and/or All Star game.

Quick follow up question. How many balls were recorded as fielding errors? Not sure you have that, but I ask as I have one.

Thanks for sharing all the great info too!
    Cheers,
    Jack

Actively looking for a Brad Lidge Philadelphia Phillies Game Used Cap!
    My Memorabilia Collection

The question about authenticating fielding errors is an interesting one. In my surveys of Rangers' postseason games, I don't recall any fielding errors, though they seem to have done every ball that comes out of play. That raises an interesting issue: Since the authenticator only documents only the ball's last use, some kinds of plays (eg errors, double plays) are less likely to be the last use of the ball. That might introduce a subtle statistical bias in the kinds of uses noted on the holograms.

The point about documenting the rarity of items through these surveys is also valid. I'm surprised that many rare and valuable artifacts are available, possibly because even team merchandise people haven't researched or appreciated their full use and value.

It looks like some 2008 World Series game-used balls are coming up for auction on mlb.com; just listed.

Quote Originally Posted by coxfan View Post
    The point about documenting the rarity of items through these surveys is also valid. I'm surprised that many rare and valuable artifacts are available, possibly because even team merchandise people haven't researched or appreciated their full use and value.
    Interesting point about Team Merch People and their lack of appreciation.

Because of this at Coors Field this year, I was able to obtain a GU ball from the 2nd Home Game of the Season, which also happened to be the 1st Day that the Rockies used their 20th Anniversary Logo Balls. (Opening Day had Opening Day Logo Balls).

When I went to the booth in the 6th inning, they already had some GU Balls - including a Double by Will Venable.

That double happened to be the 1st HIT baseball of one of the new 20th Anniversary Balls - Venable was the 2nd batter in the 1st inning and ht the double after Garland struck out the Lead Off batter.

Garland signed the ball under the 20th Ann Logo and Venable signed the Sweet Spot for me the next day before the game.

I would have thought the Rockies might want it for their historical collection, but apparently nobody put 2 and 2 together on what the ball represented.

Cliff you have that Kazmir/Burrel error ball correct?

I believe there were only 3 total balls authenticated as errors.

Quote Originally Posted by jake33 View Post
    Cliff you have that Kazmir/Burrel error ball correct?

I believe there were only 3 total balls authenticated as errors.
    That is correct. Thanks for the info, nice to add a little tidbit like that to my notation. Appreciate the research!
    Cheers,
    Jack

Actively looking for a Brad Lidge Philadelphia Phillies Game Used Cap!
    My Memorabilia Collection

Steiner somehow had a few authenticated for sale as well. Some had duel authentication, some had just a Steiner authentication. No idea how many though.