Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: I Collect Jay Bruce Game Used Bats, Hit Balls, Jerseys, Gloves, etc

Jay with my same happy fan in August of 2011 (age 3). If memory serves, this ball came from Miguel Cairo. Not sure whether its in his hitting bucket or whether its one of the balls that he later re-gifted with Reds tickets at one of his little friends' Birthday Parties.

Thank You, Jay Bruce!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Brucefan32 and dplettn,
    You both have great looking families. Congrats!
    Great stories too.

Jay Bruce's 2013 Memorial Day jersey and pants. Some people didn't like the MLB choices for this years military colors, but I disagreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Roady View Post
    Brucefan32 and dplettn,
    You both have great looking families. Congrats!
    Great stories too.
    Only "family" I have is what you see here..ha ha

Impressive collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Brucefan32 View Post
    Only "family" I have is what you see here..ha ha
    Oops, sorry. Got your names mixed up on the pics.
    Nice collection though.

Quote Originally Posted by dplettn View Post
    Here is a first item to display on the thread, the ball that Jay Bruce hit for his 144th career HR. The Reds trailed and the Cardinals' Tyler Lyons was 2-0 on the road with 1.29 ERA when Bruce smashed this ball into the visitors' bullpen. The blast changed the game and eventually chapman saved a 4-2 Reds Victory.
    With only the greatest respect for the Reds' opponent tonight and the Cardinals' starter (Tyler Lyons), I hope this post will raise interest and healthful competitive spirit even further before Bruce's Reds and Lyons' Cardinals compete during the heart of the pennant race tonight. I've wished to have displayed this ball with better images than how it was displayed in this thread's opening. Such is how other items have been displayed since. So here it is again with images to recall June 8th, 2013 when Bruce took Lyons deep on Baseball Night in America at Great American Ballpark. Yes, the ball is zip-locked (to keep with me throughout this day). Whomever wins tonight, I hope one team hosts the NL wild card and both are cheered for in the playoffs well after this great pennant race has run its course. Much respect to two of the best run organizations in baseball!

Born April 3 of 1987, Jay Bruce was a young 20 when he wore these cleats in 2007. Jay was drafted with the 12th overall pick of the 2005 amateur draft by the Cincinnati Reds and made his Major League debut in May of 2008.

Minor League Game Used Cleats, 2007
    (each cleat individually signed/inscribed)

Any random ball going to a kid is more important than a hit ball in our collections. Today on one of my best men's birthdays, I want to share Jay Bruce's 705th career hit.

It was an interleague play game but far important to me is the memory recalled each time I see it. My friend and his family are Rangers fans. But on that day, two men in the Reds bullpen (Sean Marshall and J.J. Hoover) made those kids' dreams come true in their choices to toss me (for them) a random ball. Two days later, Marshall again took care of a kid at Arlington Stadium. That one was a Reds fan, and the son of another forum member. I've had the good fortune to enjoy Sean's company in a casual setting. He's a pleasant human to have on this Earth; more important than his being a good baseball player.

So here is Jay Bruce's 705th hit, shared with fond memories of a wonderful weekend and other balls (not mine) for which I'm far more grateful.

If I could propose to all fellow collectors one thing... help a kid. Maybe next time you are at a game, ask the parent of a little guy whether its their first game. If so, point them where to get a 1st game certificate. Or try and help them get a random ball. Buying a random game used ball or base is a great way to memorialize a 1st game experience for those who can afford to. At the Reds Authentics booth in Cincinnati, that raises money for the Reds Community Fund and helps more kids. Few parents are mindful of such an opportunity though when they take their child the 1st time. So, make them aware! You might just help that child have as much passion for the game of baseball someday as you have yourself.

On August 22, 2012 both teams were wearing their '91 Throwback uniforms. Much seemed out of sorts when Jay hit his 13th career triple (hit 586). Memorable visions for sure... and a memorable game. Jay later hit the game winning home run.

Jay Bruce 13th career triple