Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

I Collect Jay Bruce Game Used Bats, Hit Balls, Jerseys, Gloves, etc

I am a collector of Jay Bruce Game Used bats, hit balls, jerseys, and similar items. No, I don’t have a game used glove yet. Jay Bruce often flies under the radar. Jay even missed out on the All Star game in this 2013, perhaps his most deserving to date.

I wanted to create a thread to showcase some spectacular Jay Bruce game used memorabilia. His aptitude warrants the praise among us who cherish game used items. I’d love to see unique items I haven’t seen before from prideful collectors. If your items are for sale, use e-mail (plettner at fuse dot net).

I buy special items when I can. But please do not abuse the proper etiquette of this forum and post on the thread merely to draw attention to items you plan to sell. All items posted here by me are posted only with the express consent of their owners, with equal discretion to their owners taste, and are not for sale.

Here is a first item to display on the thread, the ball that Jay Bruce hit for his 144th career HR in front of 40,740 fans at Great American Ballpark and many more on Fox' Baseball Night in America. The Reds trailed and the Cardinals' Tyler Lyons was 2-0 on the road with 1.29 ERA when Bruce smashed this ball into the visitors' bullpen. The blast changed the game Chapman saved a 4-2 Reds Victory. Enjoy!

Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: I Collect Jay Bruce Game Used Bats, Hit Balls, Jerseys, Gloves, etc

Here is a Jay Bruce 3 Home Run bat from 2013, which was used to hit career HRs 145 (walk off), 146 (father's day), and 147.

Please note, I am looking for more Jay Bruce Home Run bats. Please e-mail plettner at fuse dot net.

Quote Originally Posted by dplettn View Post
    Here is a Jay Bruce 3 Home Run bat from 2013, which was used to hit career HRs 145 (walk off), 146 (father's day), and 147.

Please note, I am looking for more Jay Bruce Home Run bats. Please e-mail plettner at fuse dot net.
    Kudos, I thought I was the only OCD person to wear White Gloves when handling my GU Collection!

Quote Originally Posted by MLB~NUT View Post
    Kudos, I thought I was the only OCD person to wear White Gloves when handling my GU Collection!
    More folks than either of us would have presumed when beginning such a "white gloves" habit exercise similar precaution, I think. The gloves were a recent gift from a fellow hobby enthusiast and I figured "Why Not?".

I have not always avoided items being handled casually. Here is my then 3-year old handling Jay's freshly signed/inscribed hit #380 and RBI #219 at the Newport Kroger in 2011. It is my favorite item from May 2011, when Jay was the 1st Cincinnati Red to win a Player of the Month award in 5 years. In 28 May of '11 games, Jay hit 12 homers, had 33 RBIs, scored 23 runs, slugged .739 and mounted 19 extra base hits to lead each category.

One thing I really like about collecting game used items (balls in particular) is that each item has a story to tell. Some are very unique.

On April 17, 2013... a few hours after his walk-off RBI concluded a rain-postponed game began the prior evening, Jay Bruce provided RBIs 383 and 384 with career hit 634. Jay knocked the starter from the game, but the ball itself surprisingly remained in play for a new pitcher. An 11-2 Reds victory (a second on the day) provided for a series sweep.

Shown here is a 2012 3-Home Run bat, currently on display at the Cincinnati Reds Hall of Fame. Two additional special traits in common with the 2013 bat showcased here:

1) The Reds won all three games in which Jay Bruce homered with the bat.
    2) One of the HRs was a walkoff.

This bat was used by Jay Bruce to hit career HRs 122, 123 (walkoff), and 124 (off the eventual Cy Young Winner, R.A. Dickey)

I am interested in special Jay Bruce game used items: plettner at fuse dot net

Jay Bruce's 147th double - scoring Brandon Phillips for RBI #445. (727th hit). The Reds won 8-3, taking the 2013 road and season series against the World Champs.

2011 Hits tend to be pretty scarce, the final year which preceding "Reds Authentics" initiatives. For those who collect Reds items today, I'd suggest being added to the Reds Authentics' e-mail distribution list: jcline@reds.com.

This is Jay Bruce's 436th career hit down the left field line off Kevin Millwood on August 10, 2011. The Reds beat the visiting Rockies 3-2 on Bruce and Votto HRs. Jay would be named National League Player of the Week for his performance from August 8th through the 14th.

I've tried to keep this ball still to preserve the grass embedded in the stitching. I would certainly appreciate advice from other collectors of game balls on preservation best practices.

Here is Jay Bruce's 2011 Opening Day Game Used Jersey. It was only worn once and removed from circulation for sale immediate after the game (unlike that of Votto). What this jersey lacks in wear, it makes up for with sentiment. 2011 was Bruce's 1st All-Star season. More important to me, 2011 Opening Day was my youngest son's 1st ever sporting event. He's been to more Opening Days now than he's had birthdays! Nowadays he's 2 and often goes by "J"... So while this jersey isn't "mine", its definitely special. Huge thanks to Mark Fugate and his esteemed business, Sports Gallery for making it possible that this jersey will someday hang over J's mantle.

This is Jay Bruce's 713th career hit and 436th RBI, scoring Joey Votto.