Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cjclong
    • Feb 2006

ARod hit by pitch

Last night ARod was hit by Dempster the first time he came up.
    If it was intentional, and it clearly appeared it was, that is just wrong. A person can despise ARod, think he is a cheat, a disgrace to baseball,etc, but its not right to throw at him for that reason. People, including baseball players, may not like it but the players union agreed to a process in which a player can appeal his suspension and continue to play. People may not like it and wish ARod was gone, but that is the rule and people have to live with it. Demptster or Lackey or any player has the right to say anything they want about ARod, but not throw at him. If that sort of thing is allowed then pitchers could start throwing at people because they don't like their politics, their religion or lack of it. And virtually everyone who has seen the tape believes it was intentional. A major league pitcher doesn't throw a ball behind a hitter and then hit him a couple of pitches later when he isn't having that kind of control trouble with anyone else.
  • yanks12025
    • Jan 2006

Re: ARod hit by pitch

What do you expect, it's the red Sox's. Probably the most classless organization and fans in the game and also probably the biggest hypocrites!

I love how they boo and yelled steroids for a-rod, yet they cheer for David Ortiz who is also a cheater and probably has cheated just as much. But no mlb looks the other way for Sox's players.

Comment

• Phil316
      • May 2013

I have never heard or seen proof about David Ortiz. Lots of people flapping their gums and spewing out rumors but to this day David Ortiz himself cannot even get clarification.

The power of Audacy #1 Creator of original, premium Audio content 200 Million monthly listeners 2 Billion annual podcastdownloads 60 Million monthly

I think every fan not just Red Sox fans in baseball have the right to jump on A-Rod. The guy is cancer to not only his teammates (totally showed last night when no one would even stick up for him after he was drilled by Dempster) but to major league baseball. He continually lies and cheats and is in complete denial. What kind of person is that to look up to.

As far as the other players who got banned. They deserve to be sitting at home. The only difference is that they "OWNED" there mistakes and accepted their suspensions. A-Rod will try and convince you of something that is not true. The proof is in the pudding.

In my opinion tf your a Yankees fan and an Alex Rodriguez fan you have every right to be pissed off.

Comment

• cjclong
        • Feb 2006

Fans have "the right to get on him." Wouldn't have the right to throw stuff at him. I'm not defending what it seems he has done and he brought it on himself. The sad thing is, he could have been a star without PED's. Even if he hit 100 extra home runs with the aid of PED's, and it would be very doubtful they helped him to that extent, he would still have over 500 and be in the hall of fame. And for a guy who is regarded, often, as classless, he handled the situation last night with some class. Didn't charge the mound or even do a lot of mouthing and then hit a home run off Dempster next time up. I'll be interested to see if baseball gives Dempster a suspension for hitting him.

Comment

• sox83cubs84
          Banned
          • Apr 2009

Originally posted by Phil316
          I have never heard or seen proof about David Ortiz. Lots of people flapping their gums and spewing out rumors but to this day David Ortiz himself cannot even get clarification.

The power of Audacy #1 Creator of original, premium Audio content 200 Million monthly listeners 2 Billion annual podcastdownloads 60 Million monthly

I think every fan not just Red Sox fans in baseball have the right to jump on A-Rod. The guy is cancer to not only his teammates (totally showed last night when no one would even stick up for him after he was drilled by Dempster) but to major league baseball. He continually lies and cheats and is in complete denial. What kind of person is that to look up to.

As far as the other players who got banned. They deserve to be sitting at home. The only difference is that they "OWNED" there mistakes and accepted their suspensions. A-Rod will try and convince you of something that is not true. The proof is in the pudding.

In my opinion tf your a Yankees fan and an Alex Rodriguez fan you have every right to be pissed off.
          I wouldn't say "no one" stuck up for A-Roid. Yankees manager Joe Girardi argued to the point of being ejected, and continued to vent to reporters after the game. Part of Girardi's anger was directed because this is the second time since A-Roid returned that he has been hit by a pitch on the road and the home fans went on a cheering binge (Chicago, his first series back).

I'm not a fan of batters being intentionally plunked, but, given that A-Roid is currently battling Ryan Braun for the title of Most Hated Player In Baseball, he and Girardi have got to realize that there will be fans in almost any ballpark who, as long as A-Roid is not seriously injured, will show their delight at his getting hit.

Dave Miedema

Comment

• yanks12025
            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Phil316

Ortiz was on the same list of players who tested positive back in 2003. That's the same list arod was on. Oh yeah David said he'd get tot he bottom of how he failed. Funny how he hasn't tried in years to find out info about it. And more proof is look at him when he was a twin. Went from junk to allstar quickly.

Comment

• 3arod13
              • Apr 2006

I was really enjoying no post about Arod for a good long time now. Damn you Red Sox!!
              Regards, Tony

sigpic

~I'm sorry, I can't hear you....my World Series Ring is making too much NOISE! - Alex Rodriguez~

Comment

• godwulf
                • Aug 2007

I have to say that I disagree with just about every word of the Opening Post. Arod absolutely DOES deserve to be thrown at. If it's acceptable (and to a majority of Baseball fans, I think it is) to plunk a guy for admiring a home run ball on his previous at-bat, or for rounding the bases too slowly when he's not even a catcher, or for "adding on" unnecessarily to a lop-sided score with a stolen base, or for breaking up a perfect game with a bunt hit...and about a hundred other things, it sometimes seems...tarnishing The Game's reputation by being a selfish, dishonest asshole should get you thrown at, no question.
                Jeff
                godwulf1@cox.net

Comment

• Phil316
                  • May 2013

Originally posted by yanks12025
                  Ortiz was on the same list of players who tested positive back in 2003. That's the same list arod was on. Oh yeah David said he'd get tot he bottom of how he failed. Funny how he hasn't tried in years to find out info about it. And more proof is look at him when he was a twin. Went from junk to allstar quickly.
                  If you look at Davids numbers before he left Minnesota you will see he was already hitting 20hrs and 75 ribs. Most players hit there prime around 27/28 with the occasional late bloomer like Ortiz.

Comment

• Jags Fan Dan
                    • Apr 2007

To me, there is a huge difference between head hunting with an intent to injure a player, which I would never condone, and a good old fashioned bean ball that can send any number of messages. If Dempster just had to tell A Wad what he thinks of him, I guess point proven. And if the Yanks need to put one into the back of one of the Sox next time around, then so be it. The beanball has been around a long time, and so it should be.

Comment

• GameUsedGR61
                      • Feb 2012

I find it classless to throw at any player. I am a Yankees fan but if you throw at someone three times, you should of been thrown out of the game. I was happy that Sabathia didn't retaliate, but I will not be surprised if someone does in the next series. It was classless when Dempster did it, when Clemens did it, when Chamberlain does it and when Cole Hamels did it on Harper. I know its part of the game but I disagree with it. If you hate someone, strike him out and make him go 0 for 5.

Now if MLB players are upset with it, that is fine. I still don't think throwing at someone justifies it. If an NL pitcher uses a spitball and gets caught, is it justifiable that he must get thrown at. No.

The comment about the fans, that doesnt bother me. Fans cheer for anything. I remember when Michael Irvin was cheered after he hurt his neck in Philly.

Comment

• Puig66
                        Banned
                        • Aug 2013

Baseball polices itself.

I agree with most of what has been said here. Dempster made a statement for BASEBALL. He stood up for the history of the game. A-Rod did deserve to get plunked (as long as it wasn't at the head) but he had the last word. Instead of losing his composure, he held it together and came back and homered off of Dempster. As much as some of you hate the guy, that's pretty impressive.

That's why we're here commenting on it. The "unwritten rules". It got our attention. And that in itself says it all. What a great game baseball is.

Bottom line, if this continues, sooner or later Mr. Rodriguez, love him or hate him, will probably lose his cool and charge the mound. A player can only take so much.

I look forward to the next chapter.

Comment

• Phil316
                          • May 2013

Plus with his age and 211 game suspension it might have been the last chance Dempster had to make that statement. I highly doubt a young pitcher would have gotten away with it. I think it showed plenty of class burying the ball in A-Rods ribs instead of his teeth lol.

I am over Alex Rodriguez and his denials. Ban him for life. Baseball would be better without him and his traveling side show.

Comment

• coxfan
                            • Feb 2009

Deliberately throwing at a batter is an inexcusable act, especially if it's retaliation for a HR. it's one of those "traditional parts of the game", like umpire "human error" that should be corrected rather than forever defended.

Years ago players complained that Roger Clemens took it to another level by deliberately throwing fast balls behind batters' heads just to intimidate them. Players made it clear that even "unwritten" rules didn't allow that, but he felt they didn't apply to him. I think I recall that Selig suspended him once for so doing, and Clemens immediately threw at the first batter he faced after the suspension. Clemens is lucky he didn't seriously hurt a batter. If he had, the Mitchell Report might not be his biggest problem.

Years ago Dave Justice was sent sprawling by a knockdown pitch that just missed him. He hit the next pitch far into the seats and gave the pitcher a priceless look of defiance as he rounded the bases. I've called that situation a "justice HR" ever since.

Comment

• Wrigley2010
                              • Sep 2010

When you repeatedly disgrace the game by cheating and lying the only one who should be called classless here is Arod. Look at it from Dempsters side. He's had a clean career and been a successful MLB pitcher in both the bullpen and as a starter. He is a veteran and someone who has always been held in high regard by his teammates and fellow players. How much better would his career numbers be if he had pitched on equal ground? What's it like for him to have to answer constant questions about steroids in baseball? What's it like for him to pitch to a guy he knows is cheating and should be suspended?

If someone disgraced your profession over and over again would you stand up or sit back and let it happen? Pitchers have been throwing at batters intentionally for longer than any of us can remember. It's part of the game whether we like it or not. He did not throw at his head which would have changed the entire look of this situation. He stood up for the game we all love while keeping within the boundaries of the rules of baseball... can't say that same for Arod.

Comment

Working...