Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Recent Pickups continued

I picked up 4 new vintage football photographs recently. 2 within the last week, the other 2 a couple of months ago.

First, I picked this one up at a local estate auction. It is a 1892 photo of the Hill School in Pottstown PA. The photo was in its original frame, with the back of the framed marked with the name Clarence Mabee from Tiduote PA at the Hill School near Philadelphia. The Hill School is an extremely well known boarding school where many wealthy families sent their sons. Abraham Lincoln gave speeches at the Hill School during his time in office. Also, a little side note - in the true story movie This Boys life with Leo DiCaprio, the Tobias Wolf scams his way into the Hill School in the end of the movie.
    I just took apart the frame of this photo, and the cabinet photo is in immaculate condition with striking colors and still has the gold guilding on the edges. I think it was probably in this frame for close to 114 years.

The second photo I picked up a couple of months ago. It is marked 1888 on the back and shows what appears to be a football team. The photographer is from Concorde NH. Research has gotten me very far on this one yet.

The third image is that of the 1898 Princeton football team. Most of the players have the number 98 on their jerseys. This is a very large photo. One of the famous Poe brothers, Arthur Poe, played for Princeton in 1898. I believe he is present in the photo on the far left with his left leg leaning on what appears to be a tree stump. I included a cropped photo of him from the 1901 Homestead football team. The two gentleman look nearly identical, especially their hair and slighly receeding hairline. In the 1898 photo he seems to be carrying a little more weight. Now as to the 98 on the jerseys, I was thinking that the Seniors were wearing the class years on their sweaters which is why they all would not be wearing the 98. Any opinions?

The last photo is a very large photo of an unidentified team from what I think is the late 1890s. The photo is about 20 by 12 inches. Several of the players have the letter R on their uniforms. One player looks to have an RS but I can't be sure. Research is ongoing with this one, but will unlikely be fruitful.

Re: Recent Pickups continued

Haunting images of early football. Very nice additions. I don't c.ollect much football, but appreciate seeing quality pieces like these.

Here is a first generation press photo of Dimaggio after he broke Sislers record of 41 games with a hit on June 29,1941.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I picked up a DiMaggio photo that belonged to the Yankee Clipper himself....got it in the Hunt auction back in October. Snapshot of Joe with his brothers in a restaurant.

Here's an old cabinet photo of an 1880's baseball team....I picked this up a few months ago, but I don't think I posted it here before. There is an African American in the picture, but I'm not sure if he was a player or not.

Here's a closer shot of the team.

Here are some recent pickups of mine...

Just got the D&M Trophy - love it!!

1940s D&M Youth Helmet

Piedmont advertising folding chair

I got a few more new unis...here is one of them....

and a couple new old photos...here is one of them...

-Joe
    http://www.geocities.com/vintagespor.../homepage.html

You guys have some awseome pieces..Maybe you could help me with this jersey I won on ebay.The seller says its from the 50's Notre Dame baseball..Ive looked for info any help would be awseome..Thanks

[/img]