Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mariano Rivera Steiner game save balls

I see that Steiner is marketing some baseballs in used in Mariano Rivera's saves this year. So far it looks like all of those on the market come from games at Yankee Stadium. Does anyone know if they have any baseballs on Rivera's saves away from Yankee Stadium? Any would there be any reason for Rivera or the Yankees not to be able to keep the last out ball from a game played away from home?

Re: Mariano Rivera Steiner game save balls

seems like claim of ownership of the baseball goes to mlb and the home team first. It doesnt mean the Yankees cannot request a specific baseball when they are on the road. Out of courtesy they may give the road team some baseballs.

The other possibility is that it never gets authenticated because it is kept by a player.

interesting question. hope other share what they know too
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Quote Originally Posted by cjclong View Post
    I see that Steiner is marketing some baseballs in used in Mariano Rivera's saves this year. So far it looks like all of those on the market come from games at Yankee Stadium. Does anyone know if they have any baseballs on Rivera's saves away from Yankee Stadium? Any would there be any reason for Rivera or the Yankees not to be able to keep the last out ball from a game played away from home?
    Is Steiner marketing baseballs used in a game where Rivera got a save or the actual baseball in play when the Yankees made the final out in a save situation? The latter is really appealing.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Quote Originally Posted by joelsabi View Post
    Is Steiner marketing baseballs used in a game where Rivera got a save or the actual baseball in play when the Yankees made the final out in a save situation? The latter is really appealing.
    A few months ago, Steiner was selling "last out" balls from Mo's saves 559 through 598 in 2011. The catch: you could not identify which specific game/save any particular ball was from. I was told by the rep that he didn't mark them at the time, and so he signed them "Road to 602 - 11 Last out". Steiner was asking $1500.

eBay item 231029133374 is a Steiner ball "game pitched" by Mo from Save #634. It's also MLB authenticated (from a game at Yankee Stadium), but it's not the "last out" ball (authentication says "MARIANO RIVERA PITCHED TO WILL MYERS GROUND FOUL BALL FOR SAVE", but according to baseball-reference.com Myers singled & was not the last batter). Seller is asking $2500.

eBay item 161093234378 is a Steiner/MLB game-used ball. Signed by Mo with "Save #617", but it was not pitched by him. Seller is asking $400. I think I've seen several of this type recently.

Bob

I got an email from Steiner about Rivera save baseballs for this year. I saw the save he got in the last game he will pitch at the Rangers Ballpark in Texas and checked to see if it might be available. I saw only Yankee saves listed. I thought that they were the last out balls, but since they didn't have what I wanted I didn't check that closely. Obviously the last out ball would be the one you want if available. If anyone knows whether they have Rivera save balls for this year from games away from Yankee Stadium and/or last out balls I'd appreciate knowing. I know I have seen a player get his first major league hit at the opposing team's stadium and a player would throw the ball to the player's visiting dugout for him to keep. But whether this is just a courtesy I don't know.

Not to burst anyone bubble - but $442 is a deal to good to be true for an actual signed game used from MARIANO'S pitched inning(s). They are NOT.

These are just generic baseballs from the game that he got the save. It is NOT from the specific inning he pitched to acquire the save.

All of these baseballs are MLB hologrammed as "Game Used Ball from xx/xx/13.

I was very disappointed once I have a chance to look up one of those holograms. Oh well, I guess you can file this under "uneducated collectors will think they are getting something better but they really not".

I am not discounting the Mariano's signature or the save inscription - but the process is too shady for my taste!

I wanted to help with some answers to the questions posed on this thread:

1. The $442 baseballs are game used baseballs from home games Mariano has recorded a save. These balls are signed and inscribed with the save number.
    2. We are only able to offer home games because our Yankees-Steiner partnership does not cover baseballs from a road game, those balls belong to the home team.
    3. We do have game used baseballs from games where Mo has recorded a save that were thrown by him in the 9th inning and have been offering those also signed and inscribed.
    4. Regarding final out balls we will be getting at some point. Those balls come directly from Mariano. He keeps the final out ball from all of his saves, it's a practice he has done for several years now not just this season. In past seasons he has not kept track of which ball is from which save but he is doing this for 2013 in addition to MLB authenticating the balls.

Hope this helps, let me know if there's anything else I can answer.

Brooks Cowan
    Steiner Sports

Quote Originally Posted by BCowan View Post
    I wanted to help with some answers to the questions posed on this thread:

1. The $442 baseballs are game used baseballs from home games Mariano has recorded a save. These balls are signed and inscribed with the save number.

3. We do have game used baseballs from games where Mo has recorded a save that were thrown by him in the 9th inning and have been offering those also signed and inscribed.

Brooks Cowan
    Steiner Sports

(First of, let me say, I am a big fan of Steinersports. I do spend my fair share on high-end items)

...But, the option #1 bothered me!

a. Why have Mo signed it AND inscribed it with a save number - on a game used ball? This would give the uneducated collectors thinking that he/she got a game used "pitched" ball from the 9th inning save - but it is really NOT.

b. What is the the inscription for option #2? It has to be different since I KNOW for a fact that the price will be more than $442. If it is the same as option #1, that would be beyond ________ (you fill in the blank)

Marino we appreciate that you're a fan of Steiner Sports, it does mean a lot to have your continued support. Thank you for that.

I'm not sure why option #1 bothers you. We are offering this option because it is a game used ball from a save game from Mariano's final season. I find it to be a great collectible item and at that particular price point something that has gotten a lot of people in the game. I don't in anyway find our selling the ball misleading to a collector, gift buyer or fan. Our web listing for the item clearly states in caps "PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS NOT A GAME USED FINAL OUT BALL, OR GUARANTEED TO BE A BALL MARIANO ACTUALLY PITCHED. IT IS JUST GUARANTEED GAME USED BALL FROM THAT GAME." I don't see how this could possibly be misleading?

We had Mo sign and inscribe these balls with his save number because they are in fact game used balls from those respective games where the save was obtained. It's the same reason we had Derek Jeter sign and inscribe balls from DJ3K, do people assume that those are the actual ball Derek hit over the left field wall for 3,000? Lots of companies and teams add inscriptions to game used items, it's a very common practice.

Regarding your other questions I'd be happy to discuss, give me a call or shoot me an e-mail at your convenience. I don't want my participation on this forum to be viewed in an attempt to sell so I'd prefer not to discuss pricing. I'm simply here to enjoy some insight from collectors and answer questions where I can.

Brooks Cowan
    Steiner Sports

Banned

What are these baseballs going to be worth in 5-10 years? Will anyone care?