Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

LVS knob numbers

What do the numbers on a LVS slugger bat knob represent? Dumb ques but I have never seen that only date and oz/wt

Re: LVS knob numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Brucefan32 View Post
    What do the numbers on a LVS slugger bat knob represent? Dumb ques but I have never seen that only date and oz/wt
    This is a great link to help answer your question: http://keymancollectibles.com/QanA/baseballbatQandA.htm

Here's what Keyman Collectibles says in the link:

Do I have a game used or store model bat? With Louisville slugger, and Adirondack bats in short, if your bat has the size stamped into the knob it is a store model bat. This is placed there to help the buyer identify the size of the bat. Examples of this would be number like; 6, 06 036, 36, MM6, PR6. These marking will indicate a 36 inch bat. When letters proceed the number like MM6 or PR6 it is indicating the player model initials followed by the size, In this case MM6 Mickey Mantle 36 inch, and PR6 Pete Rose 36 inch.

Game used, and Professional model bats are two different animals. A game used bat would have to come with the proper paper work, or a letter of provenance showing the chain of custody from the player that used the bat to the person that currently owns the bat. Without this you just have a pro model bat. It would otherwise be difficult to prove that the bat was actually used by the player.

Adirondack Professional model bats will typically have the model number on the knob followed by a Letter. for example Hank Aaron used a 63 A, Mickey Mantle used a 288 D. Louisville slugger began using model numbers on the knob in 1943 then moving the model number to the barrel in 1977. For example a K55 Mickey Mantle pro model would have K55 on the knob as opposed to the store model bat with K55 appearing on the barrel. Dating the bat could be important. For aide in dating your bat visit the following page of this site: LOUISVILLE SLUGGER BAT DATING
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Anthony Nunez
    Historian, USFL Houston Gamblers
    www.Houston-Gamblers.com

It says 8259 and its a LVS Jay Bruce bat so I'm confused on what the 8259 represents. Thanks for the response

Quote Originally Posted by Brucefan32 View Post
    It says 8259 and its a LVS Jay Bruce bat so I'm confused on what the 8259 represents. Thanks for the response
    That's the production date. Should be 8/25/09 if I'm not mistaken.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tim Byington
    Hall of Fame Bats
    tim@hofbats.com

Thanks everyone!