Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Makes me Cringe!

Why, I don't get it? You can get a Whole GU bat for that!
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-Topps-T...item1c3641c194

Re: Makes me Cringe!

Or this one, dont get the 220, but not a Harper fan!
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRYCE-HARPER...item1c3637543d

When these type cards first came out, I could understand the immediate interest and crazy prices. But now, with so many out there, I don't. Plus, you never really know anything about the bat that the knobs came from. I couldn't see paying those type prices for a card with a knob of a bat. And if collecting those type cards as an investment, I don't see them holding high prices in the future.
    Regards, Tony

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

~I'm sorry, I can't hear you....my World Series Ring is making too much NOISE! - Alex Rodriguez~

Quote Originally Posted by MLB~NUT View Post
    You should buy this one......shouldn't that be a Pujols knob? Holliday wore #15 when he went to the Cards in 09 then #7 the next year.

He was with the A's when the bat was made. 4/28/09

Just to throw in a couple thoughts.

1. Kids in particular (but adults too) have fun opening packs of cards and pulling things like this. I've done it with my son many times and he gets a real thrill out of pulling one, even if not a superstar. And the sets that include game-used cards typically include autographs too, so there is excitement about those too. It's a fun and harmless kind of gambling.

2. I, for one, have serious storage limitations on my ability to store bats. (Less about the space we have and more about the way my wife wants to use our space.) A little collection of cards is easy to store though. And they're easy to display too.

3. Although some of the prices are really out of whack, game-used cards are, in general, a much more affordable way to obtain a piece of a favorite player's gear.

Quote Originally Posted by MLB~NUT View Post
    Especially when you've been looking for a Marucci with Holliday on the barrel. Makes me sick!
    Collecting Cardinals jerseys and bats, with a focus on Yadier Molina, Matt Holliday, and Adam Wainwright.

Tyler
    flotaboys@hotmail.com

I'd ask the question of why not just make an insert to win the whole bat? But then the company loses the entire rest of the bat with which to make GU bat cards.

For me, when you chop something into a thousand little pieces is ceases to be what it was. It is no longer a baseball bat or a jersey. It is now a small piece of garbage. I'm against the card companies doing this for many reasons. Here are a few...

A. It destroys vast amounts of real memorabilia.

B. It's been proven that the swatches are often fake

C. Card companies add phony value to cards by numbering them 1/1, etc.

D. Often cards are worth thousands right out of the gate based on a young players potential. It prices you out of being able to collect your favorite rookies. If you are sucker enough to pay those prices there is a high probability the card will be worth zero inside of 6 months because rookies often don't pan out.

E. It spawned $200-$500 boxes that only contain 4 cards.

F. Card companies are ripping people off because everyone is buying boxes trying to hit the lottery and get a high value card. Most do not because the boxes are full of trash autos of players that aren't even going to make the team that drafted them.