Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Makes me Cringe!

Quote Originally Posted by MLB~NUT View Post
    Or this one, dont get the 220, but not a Harper fan!
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRYCE-HARPER...item1c3637543d
    The 220 stand for "second to none".

Quote Originally Posted by jmeekins33 View Post
    For me, when you chop something into a thousand little pieces is ceases to be what it was. It is no longer a baseball bat or a jersey. It is now a small piece of garbage. I'm against the card companies doing this for many reasons. Here are a few...

A. It destroys vast amounts of real memorabilia.

B. It's been proven that the swatches are often fake

C. Card companies add phony value to cards by numbering them 1/1, etc.

D. Often cards are worth thousands right out of the gate based on a young players potential. It prices you out of being able to collect your favorite rookies. If you are sucker enough to pay those prices there is a high probability the card will be worth zero inside of 6 months because rookies often don't pan out.

E. It spawned $200-$500 boxes that only contain 4 cards.

F. Card companies are ripping people off because everyone is buying boxes trying to hit the lottery and get a high value card. Most do not because the boxes are full of trash autos of players that aren't even going to make the team that drafted them.
    Have you seen what card companies pass for "game-used" these days? Players wear up to 50 jerseys at once for a hot minute, then take it off to be passed along to collectors as "event-worn". Check out this pic: http://www.beckett.com/news/2011/05/...change-things/

Quote Originally Posted by Enyouartist View Post
    Have you seen what card companies pass for "game-used" these days? Players wear up to 50 jerseys at once for a hot minute, then take it off to be passed along to collectors as "event-worn". Check out this pic: http://www.beckett.com/news/2011/05/...change-things/
    Glad I got out of that hobby yrs ago, helped fund my GU collection! Had a few Pujols Beckett graded 10's pack pulled rc autos!

Banned

Exclamation Re: Makes me Cringe!

For me, when you chop something into a thousand little pieces is ceases to be what it was. It is no longer a baseball bat or a jersey. It is now a small piece of garbage. I'm against the card companies doing this for many reasons. Here are a few...

D. Often cards are worth thousands right out of the gate based on a young players potential. It prices you out of being able to collect your favorite rookies. If you are sucker enough to pay those prices there is a high probability the card will be worth zero inside of 6 months because rookies often don't pan out.

F. Card companies are ripping people off because everyone is buying boxes trying to hit the lottery and get a high value card. Most do not because the boxes are full of trash autos of players that aren't even going to make the team that drafted them.
    You said it in excellent fashion! +1

Dave Miedema

This is one of the main reasons I finally got out of the card game. I see collector's going crazy over a Kevin Durant Autograph Logoman card. Granted it's a 1 of 1 from National Treasures, but going for like over 11K is crazy. I can get a full Durant gamer from Meigray, an Autograph Inscribed "Durantula" Panini Certified Basketball and a gamer of someone else for the same money! I just couldn't get excited about tiny swatches of uniform when I could get the whole thing for more or less the same price!

Quote Originally Posted by MLB~NUT View Post
    Why, I don't get it? You can get a Whole GU bat for that!
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-Topps-T...item1c3641c194

That is the reason I got out of sports cards and gotten into game used memorabilia.

I started card collecting in 2006. Never knew about hobby boxes until I got on SCF and seen the light. I was hooked. I remember dropping $275 on a "box" of 2006 Topps Paradigm football, and the crap I pulled. An MJD dual jersey auto card, and the "hit" was a Matt Leinart jersey/auto card. I loved the 2011 Topps Platinum, and dropped about $1,500 bucks on it. Was like $100 a box. Just HOPING for a huge hit. I think the best I did was a /10 triple auto of Julio Jones, Mark Ingram and Marcell Dareus. But the best pull I got, was from a $33 box of 2005 Bowman Chrome Football. Was an on card auto of Jim Brown. I found out that I spent way too much on hobby boxes, and went to ebay for singles that I wanted.

As far as the boxes, there are WAY too many different sets, inserts, etc. Topps Triple Threads is bad for this. Sepia, emerald, gold, ruby, and a ton of inserts, parallels and how many 1/1's can they produce? I got tired of it.

Quote Originally Posted by timb69 View Post
    I started card collecting in 2006. Never knew about hobby boxes until I got on SCF and seen the light. I was hooked. I remember dropping $275 on a "box" of 2006 Topps Paradigm football, and the crap I pulled. An MJD dual jersey auto card, and the "hit" was a Matt Leinart jersey/auto card. I loved the 2011 Topps Platinum, and dropped about $1,500 bucks on it. Was like $100 a box. Just HOPING for a huge hit. I think the best I did was a /10 triple auto of Julio Jones, Mark Ingram and Marcell Dareus. But the best pull I got, was from a $33 box of 2005 Bowman Chrome Football. Was an on card auto of Jim Brown. I found out that I spent way too much on hobby boxes, and went to ebay for singles that I wanted.

As far as the boxes, there are WAY too many different sets, inserts, etc. Topps Triple Threads is bad for this. Sepia, emerald, gold, ruby, and a ton of inserts, parallels and how many 1/1's can they produce? I got tired of it.
    Im sure I spent over $2k trying to pull a Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, or Jackie Robinson cut Signature card.... If it were only soo EZ...

Saw this today from back in February. While the Redskins season start has me a bit bummed, this made it worse. Two great rookie gamers chopped for cards.

http://paniniamerica.wordpress.com/2...-arrive-at-hq/

Hi,
    I heartily agree! I think the destruction of game used memorabilia is a real tragedy! To tell you the truth I hope most of the swatches are fake because I cannot imagine the sacrilege of destroying a vintage HOFer jersey,cap, bat, etc to make a bunch of cards!
    Obviously the card companies are all about the bottom line even if it means destroying important treasures!
    Paul