Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Re: NFL Hard Knocks 2013 - Recycling of Cincinnati Bengals game jerseys.

First, I was thinking the same thing when I watched that episode... "Nooo... don't they know they can sell those??!!"

But, the more I thought about it (and read this thread), it probably doesn't make financial sense. They must be paying $100-$100 each for these jerseys, right? So, then to sell some common guy who wasn't even good enough to make the team for $75 doesn't make sense. They could just re-issue those jerseys to the guys who aren't going to make the team next year and save themselves thousands of $ overall.

Second, to follow up on several comments (including commando's most recent one), it does seem odd that every team doesn't have an "official memorabilia retailer" for their stuff. Just a few short years ago, it seemed that every team was available. Now, I'm looking for NY Giants (Chris Snee) stuff for the past couple years and there is absolutely nothing out there. It must be because of the lack of profitability. I mean, when you look at Meigray's prices for Redskins jerseys it's just crazy. They're asking no less than $750 for game used jerseys. Some of these guys wouldn't sell for $150 on ebay, but they're asking $750 presumably because they need to in order to make a profit. Why else would you just let inventory sit on your shelves for super inflated prices unless you were going to lose $ on anything less?

With all that being said, when I asked Snee if I would be able to get a jersey from him last year he said that I wouldn't be able to. This year he said maybe, but I'll have to wait until the end of the year to see. These are not the same responses that he's had before when the Giants were openly selling their stuff through their own website or other channels.

Also, you'd think that if it were possible to squeeze a $ out of selling anything, Jerry Jones would have found a way. Yet, even the Cowboys-Steiner relationship has dissolved and nobody knows where to find Cowboys gamers anymore.

At the same time that all of this is going on, there are jerseys going for record prices and Panini has locked up the Broncos and selling Manning jerseys for like $20k each.

There must be a lot more to the economics of it than us outsiders are aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by skinsfan0521 View Post
    First, I was thinking the same thing when I watched that episode... "Nooo... don't they know they can sell those??!!"

But, the more I thought about it (and read this thread), it probably doesn't make financial sense. They must be paying $100-$100 each for these jerseys, right? So, then to sell some common guy who wasn't even good enough to make the team for $75 doesn't make sense. They could just re-issue those jerseys to the guys who aren't going to make the team next year and save themselves thousands of $ overall.

Second, to follow up on several comments (including commando's most recent one), it does seem odd that every team doesn't have an "official memorabilia retailer" for their stuff. Just a few short years ago, it seemed that every team was available. Now, I'm looking for NY Giants (Chris Snee) stuff for the past couple years and there is absolutely nothing out there. It must be because of the lack of profitability. I mean, when you look at Meigray's prices for Redskins jerseys it's just crazy. They're asking no less than $750 for game used jerseys. Some of these guys wouldn't sell for $150 on ebay, but they're asking $750 presumably because they need to in order to make a profit. Why else would you just let inventory sit on your shelves for super inflated prices unless you were going to lose $ on anything less?

With all that being said, when I asked Snee if I would be able to get a jersey from him last year he said that I wouldn't be able to. This year he said maybe, but I'll have to wait until the end of the year to see. These are not the same responses that he's had before when the Giants were openly selling their stuff through their own website or other channels.

Also, you'd think that if it were possible to squeeze a $ out of selling anything, Jerry Jones would have found a way. Yet, even the Cowboys-Steiner relationship has dissolved and nobody knows where to find Cowboys gamers anymore.

At the same time that all of this is going on, there are jerseys going for record prices and Panini has locked up the Broncos and selling Manning jerseys for like $20k each.

There must be a lot more to the economics of it than us outsiders are aware of.
    Its no secret, teams want bulk buys. But it doesnt work, Meigray/steiner/JO has to charge high prices for everyone for make it worth their while. Teams are also hesitant because they dont want their name attached to a company like JO when it hits the news that they committed fraud.

The best deal for collectors is for companies to strike individual deals with players.

The best deal for teams is selling game jerseys themselves. But even that comes with its own, very real, headaches.
    Ryan

NFL game used collector

Quote Originally Posted by cohibasmoker View Post
    Do NFL teams have the exclusive right to sell a jersey with a players name on it? I think they can sell the jersey because they own the jersey but I'm not so sure they can sell a jersey, with a NOB without the player's permission.

http://www.lexology.com/library/deta...6-0904d19e3f58

Wasn't the idea behind a nameplate developed so a nameplate can be either added or removed from a jersey and the jersey reused? Back in the early 1970's, the Eagles had a whole bin full of nameplates that had been removed from jerseys.

Just some thoughts

Jim
    My understanding is that its the teams property. Once you reach superstar status the team isnt going to battle you on what you want to do with stuff like that. Also most teams offer jerseys and or helmets to the players at the end of the season. Players keep their pro bowl jerseys.
    Ryan

NFL game used collector

You guys are right, and we've discussed it many time here before. How often do you see jerseys for sale by the teams themselves that are described as "game issued" but show a ton of wear? And sometimes one will be described as "game worn" and be crisp like it was manufactured 20 minutes ago? It is a huge headache for teams to try and keep track of all their jerseys, and the use each jersey may have seen. Team employees have better things to do... things that are directly related to the operation of the team.

Maybe one day teams will place some kind of scannable tag on their game jerseys, and the ones hanging in the players lockers before the game will all get scanned. The jerseys will be electronically logged into a database as being worn by the players on that date.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Anthony Nunez
    Historian, USFL Houston Gamblers
    www.Houston-Gamblers.com

I think its comical to see jersey's that JO tried to move for $1,000 not even get a whiff for $150 now. Similarly, I chuckle when I see folks listing jersey's of relatively common players on ebay and asking over $500. Their auctions just sit there and rot.

NFL teams are not in business to cater to the collector. The equipment managers main job is to have jerseys ready for the players. Free agents are given whatever number jersey is available that fits their position. The team is not going to have a jersey made for someone who may be with the team a week or two and who may never see the field. Yes, I wouldn't buy an NFL jersey without a nameplate unless I was damn near sure who wore it. At the same time I wouldn't care who the manufacturer is. The main thing is it fits my niche in collecting whether it is Nike, Reebok, Wilson or whatever else I may find.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by beaglegypsy003 View Post
    NFL teams are not in business to cater to the collector. The equipment managers main job is to have jerseys ready for the players. Free agents are given whatever number jersey is available that fits their position. The team is not going to have a jersey made for someone who may be with the team a week or two and who may never see the field. Yes, I wouldn't buy an NFL jersey without a nameplate unless I was damn near sure who wore it. At the same time I wouldn't care who the manufacturer is. The main thing is it fits my niche in collecting whether it is Nike, Reebok, Wilson or whatever else I may find.

Finally! The post of the thread. Lock it uppppp

Quote Originally Posted by beaglegypsy003 View Post
    +1

Mark Hayne
    Gridiron Exchange
    gixc@verizon.net