Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Hybrid View

Re: NFL Hard Knocks 2013 - Recycling of Cincinnati Bengals game jerseys.

Quote Originally Posted by Anabolicollege17 View Post
    Scottish those jerseys have very little value. They are all bumbs. And John Connor is the biggest imo... I don't think its worth the Bengals time to sell them.
    I think any 2013 Nike game used jersey would have some decent value because of the recent move from Reebok. I don't see any 2012 or 2013 Nike gamers anywhere for sale for next to nothing.

We all have opinions on players. Not quite sure I agree Connor is a bum. He just joined the league 10 years too late, where real fullbacks are becoming extinct.

Dont the team pay Nike for the jersey? If that is the case I can see why teams recycle jersey. Why waste there money if they can reuse it. Not worth it to sale a player cut from the roster for $100

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by scottishcowboy41 View Post
    I think any 2013 Nike game used jersey would have some decent value because of the recent move from Reebok. I don't see any 2012 or 2013 Nike gamers anywhere for sale for next to nothing.
    Hopefully supply catches up with demand soon.

I want a new 2012 or 2013 Panthers team issued or game used...but the cheapest I've seen is a Gary Barnidge for $900 lol.

All points are well-taken and respected.

I love dealing with football jerseys from the 1970s and 80s. When you find one of these shirts, there MIGHT be a 50/50 chance that an original team-issued nameplate is on the back. And even if one is, when you inspect closer there's another chance that you'll find that more than one nameplate had been sewn on during the jersey's lifetime.

One of the odder examples I've seen was a jersey a forum member owned. If I remember correctly it was a Baltimore Colts jersey with mid-1970s Sand Knit tagging, and it had a nameplate of a guy who played for the team in the mid-1980s! You have to wonder how many different players wore the shirt over the years, or if just one other player did, which one was he?

To be honest, I thought the era of recycling jerseys was just about gone. But now it seems that teams cannot move the common stuff for a profit, so they do indeed recycle common jerseys that show little or no use.

One final note... It appears that the numbers just aren't working with the companies who try to do large team buys. Obviously many teams are getting either no offers at all, or offers that are too low to accept so they recycle the commons. All that glitters ain't gold anymore.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Anthony Nunez
    Historian, USFL Houston Gamblers
    www.Houston-Gamblers.com

First, I was thinking the same thing when I watched that episode... "Nooo... don't they know they can sell those??!!"

But, the more I thought about it (and read this thread), it probably doesn't make financial sense. They must be paying $100-$100 each for these jerseys, right? So, then to sell some common guy who wasn't even good enough to make the team for $75 doesn't make sense. They could just re-issue those jerseys to the guys who aren't going to make the team next year and save themselves thousands of $ overall.

Second, to follow up on several comments (including commando's most recent one), it does seem odd that every team doesn't have an "official memorabilia retailer" for their stuff. Just a few short years ago, it seemed that every team was available. Now, I'm looking for NY Giants (Chris Snee) stuff for the past couple years and there is absolutely nothing out there. It must be because of the lack of profitability. I mean, when you look at Meigray's prices for Redskins jerseys it's just crazy. They're asking no less than $750 for game used jerseys. Some of these guys wouldn't sell for $150 on ebay, but they're asking $750 presumably because they need to in order to make a profit. Why else would you just let inventory sit on your shelves for super inflated prices unless you were going to lose $ on anything less?

With all that being said, when I asked Snee if I would be able to get a jersey from him last year he said that I wouldn't be able to. This year he said maybe, but I'll have to wait until the end of the year to see. These are not the same responses that he's had before when the Giants were openly selling their stuff through their own website or other channels.

Also, you'd think that if it were possible to squeeze a $ out of selling anything, Jerry Jones would have found a way. Yet, even the Cowboys-Steiner relationship has dissolved and nobody knows where to find Cowboys gamers anymore.

At the same time that all of this is going on, there are jerseys going for record prices and Panini has locked up the Broncos and selling Manning jerseys for like $20k each.

There must be a lot more to the economics of it than us outsiders are aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by skinsfan0521 View Post
    First, I was thinking the same thing when I watched that episode... "Nooo... don't they know they can sell those??!!"

But, the more I thought about it (and read this thread), it probably doesn't make financial sense. They must be paying $100-$100 each for these jerseys, right? So, then to sell some common guy who wasn't even good enough to make the team for $75 doesn't make sense. They could just re-issue those jerseys to the guys who aren't going to make the team next year and save themselves thousands of $ overall.

Second, to follow up on several comments (including commando's most recent one), it does seem odd that every team doesn't have an "official memorabilia retailer" for their stuff. Just a few short years ago, it seemed that every team was available. Now, I'm looking for NY Giants (Chris Snee) stuff for the past couple years and there is absolutely nothing out there. It must be because of the lack of profitability. I mean, when you look at Meigray's prices for Redskins jerseys it's just crazy. They're asking no less than $750 for game used jerseys. Some of these guys wouldn't sell for $150 on ebay, but they're asking $750 presumably because they need to in order to make a profit. Why else would you just let inventory sit on your shelves for super inflated prices unless you were going to lose $ on anything less?

With all that being said, when I asked Snee if I would be able to get a jersey from him last year he said that I wouldn't be able to. This year he said maybe, but I'll have to wait until the end of the year to see. These are not the same responses that he's had before when the Giants were openly selling their stuff through their own website or other channels.

Also, you'd think that if it were possible to squeeze a $ out of selling anything, Jerry Jones would have found a way. Yet, even the Cowboys-Steiner relationship has dissolved and nobody knows where to find Cowboys gamers anymore.

At the same time that all of this is going on, there are jerseys going for record prices and Panini has locked up the Broncos and selling Manning jerseys for like $20k each.

There must be a lot more to the economics of it than us outsiders are aware of.
    Its no secret, teams want bulk buys. But it doesnt work, Meigray/steiner/JO has to charge high prices for everyone for make it worth their while. Teams are also hesitant because they dont want their name attached to a company like JO when it hits the news that they committed fraud.

The best deal for collectors is for companies to strike individual deals with players.

The best deal for teams is selling game jerseys themselves. But even that comes with its own, very real, headaches.
    Ryan

NFL game used collector