Getting Game Used Equipment At Games........

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • allstarsplus
    • Nov 2005

Re: Getting Game Used Equipment At Games........

I don't feel comfortable asking players I know for freebies but will ask them for people I bring to the game.

I took Sgt. Halliburton to a Nats game in RFK in 2007, and we were talking to Brian Schneider and I asked him for his sweatbands and batting gloves for the Sarge and he gave them to him which was great.

That's not the end of the story, and keep in mind I hadn't asked for anything else although I had purchased Brian's gear back in 2005 so he knew I collected his stuff and he is always great (even now as a NY Met). So Brian leaves the field and returns with an autographed chest protector (road version) that he had worn a few weeks earlier when Bonds hit HR 756!!!

Sometimes you don't ask, and you receive!!!! Class act!

Click image for larger version

Name:	brian_schchneider_chest_protector2.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	648973
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Comment

• FENWAY
      • Aug 2008

I used to go to a lot of Hartford Whalers games in the 80s. Mike Liut handed me his stick as he left the ice one night. Try to get some pics up soon

Comment

• grenda12
        • Oct 2008

Originally posted by allstarsplus
        I don't feel comfortable asking players I know for freebies but will ask them for people I bring to the game.

I took Sgt. Halliburton to a Nats game in RFK in 2007, and we were talking to Brian Schneider and I asked him for his sweatbands and batting gloves for the Sarge and he gave them to him which was great.

That's not the end of the story, and keep in mind I hadn't asked for anything else although I had purchased Brian's gear back in 2005 so he knew I collected his stuff and he is always great (even now as a NY Met). So Brian leaves the field and returns with an autographed chest protector (road version) that he had worn a few weeks earlier when Bonds hit HR 756!!!

Sometimes you don't ask, and you receive!!!! Class act!

[ATTACH]20440[/ATTACH]
        That is completely awesome that you were able to get something like that.

Comment

• Lokee
          Banned
          • May 2008

Originally posted by tknorm
          Lokee, do you mind sharing pix of your Mike Cameron GU jersey? You can also send them by e-mail if you prefer.

thx,
          thomaskirk@cinci.rr.com
          Iam in the process of moving and all my game stuff is in storage. I plan on making a webpage for all my stuff once I get settled in. Iam excited Iam going from a 900sq foot house to over 2300sq feet. I will have a room dedicated to all my stuff. So in a couple months I hope to have photo documentation of all my item for insurance purposes as well. Thanks for the interest.

Comment

• Chris78
            • Nov 2007

My success rate when asking was about 25% last season. I tried probably on 12 occasions and 3 players gave me a cracked bat (or bats). Most of the other times someone else got the cracked bat, but the player did give it away. One player gave me all 3 cracked bats that were in the dugout, but I was unsure which one he cracked, although two of the three had team names on them (Nashua Pride and Jackhammers). In total, I got 5 cracked bats last season, but attended many games where I did not ask or no cracked bats occurred. Only 1 bat had a player name on it and that was from the Arizona Fall League when I was there for a week. In the AFL, there was plenty of people from the area that you had to compete with.

Chris

Comment

• metsbats
              • Nov 2005

Last season after Carlos Beltran struck out after an AB he took his bat and toss it to fans over the Mets dugout.

Here are photos the non-preferred method of getting game used bats at a game.

Not for the faint hearted.
              Attached Files
              metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Comment

• grenda12
                • Oct 2008

Originally posted by metsbats
                Last season after Carlos Beltran struck out after an AB he took his bat and toss it to fans over the Mets dugout.

Here are photos the non-preferred method of getting game used bats at a game.

Not for the faint hearted.
                Easy souvenirs, if your paying attention.

Comment

• Vintagedeputy
                  • Oct 2005

Originally posted by grenda12
                  +1 !

Comment

• kylehess10
                    • Feb 2006

This past season at a Braves game, Mark Teixeira let go and his bat flung towards me above the dugout. I literally lunged towards the bat instead of flinching . I wanted that bat once I saw it was in the air and I jumped up trying to get it in the air, but it landed another section over.
                    kylehess941@hotmail.com

My Game Used Collection:
                    http://www.wix.com/kylehess941/gameused

http://www.kylehessphotography.com/

Comment

• slambam
                      • Mar 2009

I'm going to be watching BP from the field behind the batting cage for a game this year. I'm going to try getting something, but don't wanna sounds like a greedy SOB.

Comment

• godwulf
                        • Aug 2007

Originally posted by slambam
                        I'm going to be watching BP from the field behind the batting cage for a game this year. I'm going to try getting something, but don't wanna sounds like a greedy SOB.
                        Here's a shirt I designed, and will be wearing later this year when I go to Arizona Fall League games.

The Latin inscription - very loosely translated - reads: "Give it to the kid" my ass!
                        Jeff
                        godwulf1@cox.net

Comment

• godwulf
                          • Aug 2007

Originally posted by godwulf
                          Here's a shirt I designed, and will be wearing later this year when I go to Arizona Fall League games.

The Latin inscription - very loosely translated - reads: "Give it to the kid" my ass!
                          Huh...the pic disappeared. Well, anyway, it's a soaring hawk with a baseball in its claws, and the words Old Ballhawk, and then "Tribuo est ut parvulus" meus puga pyga!

It's like I told a kid last year - "I'm 55, you're 8. You'll have plenty of time to field those foul balls when I'm dead."
                          Jeff
                          godwulf1@cox.net

Comment

• OaklandAsFan
                            • Sep 2007

Originally posted by grenda12
                            gotta agree with ya on that one. I remember a few years back during the post season in Oakland vs the Yanks Jeter let a bat fly into the stands on a swing and it was heading right into my section. It didn't make it all the way up to me but man it looked like the Red Sea parting with everyone ducking out of the way. I looked at my wife and said "F that, If I see a Jeter bat heading at me you can pretty much guarantee I am standing firm and getting it. Then when I display it in my house I will show them the blood spots and proudly proclaim them to be mine from when I refused to dodge the bat"

Comment

• Laser110
                              • Mar 2009

I am more of a hockey guy when it comes to collecting game used stuff, but I do have a few baseball items in the collection. When I was younger I was at Devils/Penguin's game. I decided to wear my new Mario Lemieux replica jersey to the game. During warm ups I banged on the glass, got Mario's attention and turned around so he could see the back of my jersey. He gave me a smile, thumb's up and tossed me one of the practice pucks.

A similar situation was a Devils/Bruin's game in the 80's. The Bruin's had just finished their practice skate and we were standing by the entrance to the ice. Gord Kluzak came off the ice with a puck in his hand. People were screaming "Mr. Kluzak can I have the puck, #6 toss me the puck" I yelled "Gordy!" he looked over and tossed the puck over.

I found most hockey players are very approachable after the game and have met and talked with many of the Devils. We even played floor hockey with Turner Stevenson's kids. Usually they'll sign something for you if you politely ask.

Scott

Comment

• cammy collector
                                • Oct 2006

Originally posted by tknorm
                                Lokee, do you mind sharing pix of your Mike Cameron GU jersey? You can also send them by e-mail if you prefer.

thx,
                                thomaskirk@cinci.rr.com
                                took the words right outta my mouth, Tommy

-Mike
                                **ALWAYS looking for game used/issued Nike/Air Jordan sneakers**

Comment

Working...